Porsche Macan Forum banner
321 - 340 of 360 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
With COVID etc. I have used the Macan less and less. It’s just easier to take the wife’s Hyundai for trips to the supermarket, Home Depot etc. where selecting a parking place is not based on who might park next to you. Consequently weeks might go by without starting the vehicle. I have always thought about connecting the vehicle to a trickle charger/maintainer, but was discouraged by the fact that there were nowhere to connect it without leaving hood or windows open.

However this was the original battery in a 2017 Macan and a battery maintainer had now become paramount.
I ended up installing a battery maintainer connection port to the SUV in the rear of the vehicle.

For those interested the project is detailed below.

https://bernardembden.com/macan/batmaint/index.htm

·
Super Moderator
11,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
I have always thought about connecting the vehicle to a trickle charger/maintainer, but was discouraged by the fact that there were nowhere to connect it without leaving hood or windows open.
You are FAR more industrious and have done FAR more work than I ever would. But I don't understand a couple of things

What do you mean you have to leave the windows open? You have to get out of the car anyway. So just plug the adapter into the cigarette lighter or the other outlets, plug it in, and shut the door. Its been down hundreds of thousands of times in many cars going back to Caymans, Boxsters, and 911s. The doors are designed to close on the wires.

Haven't decided to go out or not? Want to NOT open the door? Just hook an adapter onto the jump points. There are many descriptions in this thread where people feed them out of the fender or up through the wipers.

Even if you don't want to put on an extender and feed the wire out permanently from the hood, you just shut the hood on the wire. It works fine. The only reason not to use the jump posts is because the hood is NOT meant to be opened and closed constantly while opening and shutting the door is intended to last the life of the car.

So I don't understand what this means? "discouraged by the fact that there were nowhere to connect it without leaving hood or windows open." I have never left any hood or window open in my sports cars or the Macan, ever.

????

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
With COVID etc. I have used the Macan less and less. It’s just easier to take the wife’s Hyundai for trips to the supermarket, Home Depot etc. where selecting a parking place is not based on who might park next to you. Consequently weeks might go by without starting the vehicle. I have always thought about connecting the vehicle to a trickle charger/maintainer, but was discouraged by the fact that there were nowhere to connect it without leaving hood or windows open.

However this was the original battery in a 2017 Macan and a battery maintainer had now become paramount.
I ended up installing a battery maintainer connection port to the SUV in the rear of the vehicle.

For those interested the project is detailed below.

https://bernardembden.com/macan/batmaint/index.htm
Wow that was a lot of work. Take a look at my post #254 in this thread. There are pictures, I accomplished the same thing without any permanent modifications to the Macan, Other than the CTEK pigtail lead for the charger, the only item I think I needed to buy was a metric bolt.

As @grim and @Willie Web said, closing the rear hatch on the charger lead is not a problem. Have been doing it for two years now. Just to be safe, I vary the position of the lead each time.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Question on these chargers/maintainers.

I have a slightly more ...unique requirement and I'm not sure what would be the best practice to avoid running down the battery.
The scenario is: the car is parked close to a regular 110v outlet and I need to keep accessories running for a long time (interior lights, radio, maybe fans) without starting/stopping the engine. By long time, I mean up to 7-8 hours (a full night with me sitting and working in the car).

Can I just use a regular lead acid battery charger and set it at a low charge rate and just keep it plugged in? Would one of these ctek chargers be more suitable?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Can I just use a regular lead acid battery charger and set it at a low charge rate
Your charger would at least have to put out enough power to supply the accessories you list. Let's say the radio uses 20W. The lights are hard to estimate with LEDs using less than filaments of course but lets say another 30W. The fans are reasonably punchy so I'd guess 50W [computer and phone?]. A total is going to be around 100-150W or maybe a bit more.

For a total of 150W you'll need a 12 amp charger operating at its limit which is probably going to be more than your regular charger at "low" rate. I'd suggest you might be better off with something rated about 20A to give you a margin both for the longevity of the charger and to provide a reliable constant supply. Most of the time these chargers are designed to operate below their claimed capacity in normal use.

The key here will be holding the battery at the float voltage for AGMs. This is lower than the ~14.7V achieved during a normal battery charging cycle at ~13.5 V. it's usually very slightly more than the float voltage for a flooded lead-acid battery but if you're also driving the car each day that will take care of the higher voltage required occasionally during charging for maintenance.

A 20 amp [240W] charger designed for AGMs would suit your requirements. There are quite a few options and I have a preference for chargers that have a screen which tells you what voltage and current they're delivering at any point in time, though it's not essential.

Jules

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thanks for the input. Yes, I do have a good smart charger from the RC world which I normally use to charge big LiPo batteries. (300W iSDT Q6 Plus)
It does have a Lead Acid profile too so most likely I can use this in the field. I've used it to charge a car battery before, but not the Macan, and not while running devices during charging.

So if I set the charger to charge at 5-6A, it should cover easily the radio, lights and whatever else the car keeps on by itself. I don't expect to need to keep the fans on all the time.

I need to test this before the trip. First I have to find the battery. I believe it's somewhere in the back but I think I saw some pictures of contact points under the hood as well.

·
Premium Member
4,179 Posts
Thanks for the input. Yes, I do have a good smart charger from the RC world which I normally use to charge big LiPo batteries. (300W iSDT Q6 Plus)
It does have a Lead Acid profile too so most likely I can use this in the field. I've used it to charge a car battery before, but not the Macan, and not while running devices during charging.

So if I set the charger to charge at 5-6A, it should cover easily the radio, lights and whatever else the car keeps on by itself. I don't expect to need to keep the fans on all the time.

I need to test this before the trip. First I have to find the battery. I believe it's somewhere in the back but I think I saw some pictures of contact points under the hood as well.
It is a lot easier to access the stuff under the hood than the actual battery located in a cave like tomb in the trunk under 100 things you must move to access it. At some point it might be worth your time to read the Operator's Manual. I found about three times did the trick. On this site there have been really good instructions on how to tag into the contacts under the hood for semi-permanent connection to those, or just use clips. The plus is located under a cap near the windshield. The minus is the round thing staring at you on the driver's side looking toward the windshield from the front of the car while the hood is open.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Accessing the battery isn't as hard as you say / think.....
Just need to do it once and feed a pigtail out..... no need to enter every time.

I just open the rear hatch - couple the leads together & close the hatch.....
Plus my leads are never exposed to the elements - like the front hood connectors are.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Accessing the battery isn't as hard as you say / think.....
Just need to do it once and feed a pigtail out..... no need to enter every time.

I just open the rear hatch - couple the leads together & close the hatch.....
Plus my leads are never exposed to the elements - like the front hood connectors are.
Not much showing and it can be tucked under the cover when not needed.
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow, this is a first for me. Can someone please tell me where the battery is located in a 2021 Macan? Obviously not under the hood. Can't find it in the hatch area. Don't see any obvious places under the back seat.
I need to connect a battery tender since we'll be away for a while. I know that there is a positive connection for a charger on the cowling on the driver's side, under the hood.
Thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
The battery is under the spare tire. The best way to connect a battery tender is through the 12v port located on the center console .

·
Registered
263 Posts
This works on the 2022? I have been searching and could not find a definitive answer anywhere. Thank you!
Yes it works on the 2022. Just like all the previous years. Turn the ignition to on, then turn off. Immediately plug in the charger.

·
Registered
2022 Macan
603 Posts
This is a great thread. I understand how to charge/condition the Macan’s battery but I am not clear about the recommended frequently, etc. I didn’t see any recommendations in the owner’s manual or in the Porsche Charge-o-mat Pro manual. Is it only recommended to condition the battery if the car is left parked for a few weeks while on vacation? If so shoulld it be charged before? After?

·
Super Moderator
11,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #337 ·
This is a great thread. I understand how to charge/condition the Macan’s battery but I am not clear about the recommended frequently, etc. I didn’t see any recommendations in the owner’s manual or in the Porsche Charge-o-mat Pro manual. Is it only recommended to condition the battery if the car is left parked for a few weeks while on vacation? If so shoulld it be charged before? After?
The warranty book tells you p7 through 11, 15 miles a day, 6K/rolling year is expected.

IMO, if you skip a day driving, plug it in.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The only time I plug my charger in is when the car will sit and not be started for over a week. If it sits for a few days I don't bother. During the winter months it's in the garage under a cover and the charger is plugged in for over 3 months.

·
Registered
2022 Macan
603 Posts
The only time I plug my charger in is when the car will sit and not be started for over a week. If it sits for a few days I don't bother. During the winter months it's in the garage under a cover and the charger is plugged in for over 3 months.
I'll be going away on vacation and plan to charge it prior, but I am not sure I feel comfortable leaving it charged the entire time. It's a brand new battery so I believe it will suffice.

·
Super Moderator
11,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #340 ·
I'll be going away for 2.5 weeks and plan on charging it before I leave but I am not sure I feel comfortable leaving it charged the entire time. Its a brand new battery so I believe it will suffice.
Thats not the point. Its not that it won't start being "new". Its that sulfating begins, At some point it become not reversible. Ever bit, every time, adds up. If its not on a maintainer, the sulfating happens. Example, read and then read the hundreds of articles on sulfation. Its accumulative

321 - 340 of 360 Posts