Porsche Macan Forum banner
301 - 320 of 360 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Macan GTS
98 Posts
Your Porsche branded CTEK DOES have an AGM mode. Its the default mode.
I would much rather have the real CTEK because you can use it properly on all kinds of batteries,
Sorry, actually in the technical specification of the Porsche charger that I own it clearly states it can be used on all 12 V lead-acid batteries (WET,MF, Ca/Ca, AGM and GEL). It isn't limited to AGM. It is my opinion that this thread is packed with misinformation and hyperbole.

Reactions: acronymous

·
Super Moderator
11,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
Sorry, actually in the technical specification of the Porsche charger that I own it clearly states it can be used on all 12 V lead-acid batteries (WET,MF, Ca/Ca, AGM and GEL). It isn't limited to AGM. It is my opinion that this thread is packed with misinformation and hyperbole.
I dont think you understand that 14.7 is the default agm mode for that profile. I didnt say it was limited to agm, only that 14.7 IS the agm mode but not that you couldnt use it for the older batteries. E.g. snowflake mode, 14.7, is used for regular batteries when it’s cold out AND AGM. Believe what you want. Think it’s all misinformation? Then don’t read it. Post 1, cont. “YMMV.”

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
It would be helpful to all of us here if you were more specific about the misinformation and or hyperbole. We all can then hash it to get to the correct information. Battery charging is a surprisingly complicated subject.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wow, just made my way through this entire thread. I've done CTEK in the past hardwired on my BMWs, always wanted an all weather solution that wouldn't require opening the hood (some of my cars are kept in a collector garage). I've got a note into these guys to see if they can fab up a surface mount version of their magnetic adapter, so many flat horizontal surfaces on the front of the Macan I don't see any need to start drilling holes. Will update if the inquiry goes anywhere. Believe it's either Bentley or Ferrari tech that they're borrowing and adapting for quick connect use.

·
Registered
'21 Macan S
2 Posts
I'm new here, so many thanks to all the posters. Takes awhile to read through, but plenty of good info in this thread [chargers, hookups, experience, authorities]... particularly for those of us driving fewer miles, looking to maximize battery health and longevity.

Experience w/ start-stop and 'heavy consumers' vehicles already had me on alert for good battery maintenance. Had previously purchased a CTEK MXS 5.0 awhile back for another vehicle, been using on the Macan regularly, via permanently wired quick-connect to charge/jump lugs under hood.

Typical charging experience: 0-60min bulk charge, 1-6hrs absorption charge, float until next drive.

... A

Reactions: grim

·
Registered
3 Posts
My second Porsche was a Boxster S. I had a company car so I didn't drive the Boxster very much. The battery died. Because I didn't keep the Boxster on a charger Porsche refused to honor any kind of warranty. Now I drive my Macan more.
Thank you for mentioning Porsche not honoring the warranty. I have been reading about Macan batteries for days trying to understand what happened to my 2020 Macan (basic/awd).
I purchased my Macan new in July 2021. The dealer had 2021’s, but they had a shipment of 2020’s come in about 6months late, so the car I bought was brand new.

I traded in a 2013 Chrysler minivan with 30K miles (3,750 miles per year since new). After driving the Macan for 2.5 months, I went to the dealership and asked for advice for taking care of the car while I went back to Texas , from my vacation in California. I told the SA that i would be gone for 4 months. The dealer recommended that I buy a Porsche battery maintenance device. While I was familiar with “trickle chargers”, I was shocked that the Porsche model was $240. So, I bought it. No one ever said that I had to drive the car 6,000 miles per year, or that I should not park the car for mo than two weeks.
I took the car for a 50 mile run, then I went to the house, with properly stabilized fuel, and I hooked up the CTEK, locked the car and flew to Texas On September 5. On February 1, 2022, I returned to California, opened the garage and unlocked the car. When I turned on the key, there was no response. I hooked up the CTEK again and left it overnight (18 hours).

the next day, no response. I called AAA for a flatbed and took the car to the dealer. They kept it overnight and by noon the next day, they called and told me that the battery would not take a charge and it would have to be replaced. I thought that a 7 month old car with 1,100 miles on it would be under warranty (I looked up the 2020 Macan battery warranty on the Porsche website, and it said that there was a 36 month warranty.) The dealer replaced the battery and advised me that a new battery was $730, and there was NO WARRANTY.

gfspencer was denied a warranty, because he did not keep it on a charger. I was denied a warranty, because I had it on a Porsche brand charger.

I have been driving Porsches since 1967. I currently have an ‘89 911 Speedster and a ‘65 356C cabriolet. I drove the Speedster today. It has been sitting in the garage for 3 months. I turned the key and it started. That minivan I traded for the Macan had the same battery since new, and it never failed to start. My wife’s 2014 Mercedes ML350 sat in the garage beside the Macan, with no battery tender, and it started right up. What the **** is going on?

Can anyone please tell me how I can maintain this vehicle, so I can avoid buying a new $740 battery, every 3-6 months? I love Porsches. I’ve had many of them, including a 928 for 8 years. In three weeks, I am going to find out the verdict. When I asked the dealer why the battery failed, when I had followed all of the instructions. They asked if there was a power failure. Well, over a period of three months, on the Monterey Peninsula, there were probably a power failure every two weeks. They said that, with a power failure, the CTEK had to be reset. They didn’t tell me that before, and there was no one there to reset it. So the CTEK destroyed the battery?

Well, when I go back in three weeks I don’t have to worry about the CTEK, because I did not hook it up. And, sure enough, PG&E has sent me two texts telling me that there was a power failure around my house. I did follow the dealer advice to turn everything off and lock the car, which puts the car in sleep mode, so it does not use any electricity. I did that.

Thank y for your patience. Clearly, I am at my wits end. I will report back May 14.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
"No one ever said that I had to drive the car 6,000 miles per year" OR use a battery maintainer.

How the heck do they know if you use a charger or not? Buy one and use it every month or so.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thank you for mentioning Porsche not honoring the warranty. I have been reading about Macan batteries for days trying to understand what happened to my 2020 Macan (basic/awd).
I purchased my Macan new in July 2021. The dealer had 2021’s, but they had a shipment of 2020’s come in about 6months late, so the car I bought was brand new.

I traded in a 2013 Chrysler minivan with 30K miles (3,750 miles per year since new). After driving the Macan for 2.5 months, I went to the dealership and asked for advice for taking care of the car while I went back to Texas , from my vacation in California. I told the SA that i would be gone for 4 months. The dealer recommended that I buy a Porsche battery maintenance device. While I was familiar with “trickle chargers”, I was shocked that the Porsche model was $240. So, I bought it. No one ever said that I had to drive the car 6,000 miles per year, or that I should not park the car for mo than two weeks.
I took the car for a 50 mile run, then I went to the house, with properly stabilized fuel, and I hooked up the CTEK, locked the car and flew to Texas On September 5. On February 1, 2022, I returned to California, opened the garage and unlocked the car. When I turned on the key, there was no response. I hooked up the CTEK again and left it overnight (18 hours).

the next day, no response. I called AAA for a flatbed and took the car to the dealer. They kept it overnight and by noon the next day, they called and told me that the battery would not take a charge and it would have to be replaced. I thought that a 7 month old car with 1,100 miles on it would be under warranty (I looked up the 2020 Macan battery warranty on the Porsche website, and it said that there was a 36 month warranty.) The dealer replaced the battery and advised me that a new battery was $730, and there was NO WARRANTY.

gfspencer was denied a warranty, because he did not keep it on a charger. I was denied a warranty, because I had it on a Porsche brand charger.

I have been driving Porsches since 1967. I currently have an ‘89 911 Speedster and a ‘65 356C cabriolet. I drove the Speedster today. It has been sitting in the garage for 3 months. I turned the key and it started. That minivan I traded for the Macan had the same battery since new, and it never failed to start. My wife’s 2014 Mercedes ML350 sat in the garage beside the Macan, with no battery tender, and it started right up. What the **** is going on?

Can anyone please tell me how I can maintain this vehicle, so I can avoid buying a new $740 battery, every 3-6 months? I love Porsches. I’ve had many of them, including a 928 for 8 years. In three weeks, I am going to find out the verdict. When I asked the dealer why the battery failed, when I had followed all of the instructions. They asked if there was a power failure. Well, over a period of three months, on the Monterey Peninsula, there were probably a power failure every two weeks. They said that, with a power failure, the CTEK had to be reset. They didn’t tell me that before, and there was no one there to reset it. So the CTEK destroyed the battery?

Well, when I go back in three weeks I don’t have to worry about the CTEK, because I did not hook it up. And, sure enough, PG&E has sent me two texts telling me that there was a power failure around my house. I did follow the dealer advice to turn everything off and lock the car, which puts the car in sleep mode, so it does not use any electricity. I did that.

Thank y for your patience. Clearly, I am at my wits end. I will report back May 14.
How did you connect it to the car? Direct to the jump start terminals should survive a power failure. Connected to the cigarette lighter outlet won't, not because of the battery but because of the car's attitude to the cigarette lighter outlet in that situation.

Jules

·
Super Moderator
11,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #310 ·
I'm going to try to answer all this. 89 speedster? Very cool

First question is when was the car made? Look inside your door. Since this was the middle of the pandemic, how many months went by from the date the car was made until you bought it? It matters. If its truly "new", and the car only a few months old, then there is no issue. OTOH, if the car sat for 6 months, its a BIG issue. It doesn't matter if the battery sat in a lot or at your house. It sulphates

. While I was familiar with “trickle chargers”, I was shocked that the Porsche model was $240.
There is a huge difference between a 1980s trickle charger and a modern smart charger. Search on CTEK and start reading on the tech.

No one ever said that I had to drive the car 6,000 miles per year, or that I should not park the car for mo than two weeks.
Yes, they did. Its in your warranty manual. You read it right? Once again, ... Porsche Warranty Manual

Your Responsibility for Normal Vehicle Use
You will use your car only in ways for which it was designed: ... Porsche Guidelines specify reasonable mileage to be at least 15 miles /24 kilometers per day or 6000 miles / 9600 kilometers per rolling 12months.
• If you drive less than the above-mentioned limits, ...: A battery maintainer is available at your local authorized Porsche dealer. It must be used to maintain your vehicle’s battery state of charge if your vehicle will not be used for several days.)"

See the part where it says you MUST use it?

The rest is simple, If you hooked it up to the cigarette lighter and power went out, then the battery never charged, sulphated, and is now dead. The end.

All the rest means nothing. Its not 1989 anymore. Modern cars keep running stuff and the battery technology is much different. Whatever your experience in the past is not relevant.

What the **** is going on?
New tech, new batteries, new car with a parasitic drain. Read the warranty.

No, the CTEK did not destroy the battery. The fact the power went out meant it never worked. You need to hook it up hard wired to the jump posts or directly to the battery. Read this thread, there are a lots of pictures of people doing that.

How the heck do they know if you use a charger or not?
The battery dies?

·
Registered
3 Posts
How did you connect it to the car? Direct to the jump start terminals will survive a power failure. Connected to the cigarette lighter outlet won't.

Jules
Long term connection, 4 months, was through cigarette lighter. Second connection,18 hours, jump start terminals. Dealer recommended cigarette lighter. No one said that the lighter would stop working after a short period of time (I read as little as 30 minutes).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm going to try to answer all this. 89 speedster? Very cool

First question is when was the car made? Look inside your door. Since this was the middle of the pandemic, how many months went by from the date the car was made until you bought it? It matters. If its truly "new", and the car only a few months old, then there is no issue. OTOH, if the car sat for 6 months, its a BIG issue. It doesn't matter if the battery sat in a lot or at your house. It sulphates

There is a huge difference between a 1980s trickle charger and a modern smart charger. Search on CTEK and start reading on the tech.

Yes, they did. Its in your warranty manual. You read it right? Once again, ... Porsche Warranty Manual

Your Responsibility for Normal Vehicle Use
You will use your car only in ways for which it was designed: ... Porsche Guidelines specify reasonable mileage to be at least 15 miles /24 kilometers per day or 6000 miles / 9600 kilometers per rolling 12months.
• If you drive less than the above-mentioned limits, ...: A battery maintainer is available at your local authorized Porsche dealer. It must be used to maintain your vehicle’s battery state of charge if your vehicle will not be used for several days.)"

See the part where it says you MUST use it?

The rest is simple, If you hooked it up to the cigarette lighter and power went out, then the battery never charged, sulphated, and is now dead. The end.

All the rest means nothing. Its not 1989 anymore. Modern cars keep running stuff and the battery technology is much different. Whatever your experience in the past is not relevant.

New tech, new batteries, new car with a parasitic drain. Read the warranty.

No, the CTEK did not destroy the battery. The fact the power went out meant it never worked. You need to hook it up hard wired to the jump posts or directly to the battery. Read this thread, there are a lots of pictures of people doing that.

The battery dies?
That is a good question about “when was the car manufactured? I don’t know the answer. The car is 2,000 miles away, but I will check it out in three weeks. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
11,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #313 ·
No one said that the lighter would stop working after a short period of time (I read as little as 30 minutes).
Your manual tells you. The power is interrupted after 30 mins. If the load restarts, you need to start the car again. Its all there.

That is a good question about “when was the car manufactured? I don’t know the answer. The car is 2,000 miles away, but I will check it out in three weeks. Thank you.
That matters a lot. If it sat for month, it was dying anyway being permanently sulphated

·
Registered
477 Posts
Long term connection, 4 months, was through cigarette lighter. Second connection,18 hours, jump start terminals. Dealer recommended cigarette lighter. No one said that the lighter would stop working after a short period of time (I read as little as 30 minutes).
Yes, power failure isn't taken into account with that advice. Unfortunate given the cost of batteries.

Unlike the days of the 356, these cars have a constant and quite significant drain on their batteries at rest. I don't leave mine for more than a couple of days without hooking it up. The Porsche Ctek doesn't give you much information but it's possible to see that the voltage drops quite fast if you've got a meter to check it.

Jules

Reactions: MikeCastleman

·
Registered
574 Posts
This thread has not been of interest to me as we use our cars daily but we are going on a 3 month plus holiday soon so will need to sort out some battery management
I have a little Ctek maintenance charger so plan on connecting it direct to the battery as there won’t be anyone to monitor it.

·
Super Moderator
11,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #316 ·
This thread has not been of interest to me as we use our cars daily but we are going on a 3 month plus holiday soon so will need to sort out some battery management
I have a little Ctek maintenance charger so plan on connecting it direct to the battery as there won’t be anyone to monitor it.
wire it to the jump posts. Lots of pictures in this thread.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
@Mike castleman
I think the message here s/b do NOT use the 12V power outlet, IF you will be gone for weeks or months since IF there is a power outage, the CTEK will not restart. A direct wired connection to either the battery itself or the jump start terminals is the way to go. The CTEK should restart itself when the power comes back on.

Plenty of detailed instructions in this forum on how to direct wire the CTEK as I mentioned.

That being said, if it turns out that your new car sat for many months, after manufacture, complain to PCNA & try to get reimbursed for the $ you spent on their overpriced battery replacement.

Good luck.

Reactions: Arturino

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
@Mike castleman
I think the message here s/b do NOT use the 12V power outlet, IF you will be gone for weeks or months since IF there is a power outage, the CTEK will not restart. A direct wired connection to either the battery itself or the jump start terminals is the way to go. The CTEK should restart itself when the power comes back on.

Plenty of detailed instructions in this forum on how to direct wire the CTEK as I mentioned.

That being said, if it turns out that your new car sat for many months, after manufacture, complain to PCNA & try to get reimbursed for the $ you spent on their overpriced battery replacement.

Good luck.
I came to that same conclusion. I tried using the cargo area 12v outlet for quite a while. Most times I could trick the Porsche algorithm into keeping circuit open (connected to the battery) but too often the connection was closed or disconnected. It drove me to making a direct pigtail connection to the battery under the rear storage. Just thought it would be easier and a more weather tight method than under the hood at the jump posts.

We should clarify for the nubies that there is no problem or trick to getting the CTEK chargers to work. They restart on their own after power outages. All they need is a direct and open connection to the battery. The issues are on the Macan side.

Reactions: grim
301 - 320 of 360 Posts