Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone changed their serpentine belt yet? Had a Porsche Tech tell me that it takes a "special tool" to retract the tensioner in order to remove/install the belt. He said that, if a belt were to break, it would require a tow to the nearest dealer to install a new one. Being a DIY'er, I would feel a lot more secure if I carried a spare and were able to change my own belt should the need arise.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Being a DIY'er, I would feel a lot more secure if I carried a spare and were able to change my own belt should the need arise.[/QUOTE]

Are you suggesting that the Serp can be done anywhere, like on the side of the road, you must be a very talented mechanic? The amount of tools required would make this nearly impossible!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Are you suggesting that the Serp can be done anywhere, like on the side of the road, you must be a very talented mechanic? The amount of tools required would make this nearly impossible!"

Thanks for the compliment! :) I've been wrenching on vehicles for over 60 years and, as for serpentine belts, have changed them out on a variety of vehicles with no problems and a minimum of tools in the comfort of my garage or driveway...as long as I've obtained the instructions to do so ahead of time. It's usually a simple procedure once you know what you're doing, hence, the rationale for my post.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, nerfbar! Sounds like a job for a length of coat hanger wire...or the same as used on R53 MINI Cooper S tensioners. Any chance you have the instructions on gaining access to said tensioner?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
What is the typical service life of one of these belts?

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Agreed

Awesome, nerfbar! Sounds like a job for a length of coat hanger wire...or the same as used on R53 MINI Cooper S tensioners. Any chance you have the instructions on gaining access to said tensioner?
This pin is probably nothing special. Just installed new tensioner and belt on my wife’s BMW 5 series. The pin is installed to retain tension and keep the pulley out of the way I threw it away after the install. An Allen wrench would accomplish the same thing retracting the idler so you could install a new belt. Most of the time spent would be gaining access to the belt. :eek:

·
Registered
576 Posts
... the dealer service manager told me, the ideal time to change it is when it is frayed and cracked, right before it breaks.

what?!? that guy sounds like wacko. I was once stranded at the side of the road in my Merc with a broken serpentine belt. I would have much preferred to have had it replaced a few months earlier, or even a year earlier!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
what?!? that guy sounds like wacko. I was once stranded at the side of the road in my Merc with a broken serpentine belt. I would have much preferred to have had it replaced a few months earlier, or even a year earlier!

He was joking.

Maybe it’s an example of American humor?

(And that’s an example of American humor as well.)

·
Registered
576 Posts
He was joking.

Maybe it’s an example of American humor?

(And that’s an example of American humor as well.)

haha, OK. those jokes sometimes get lost in translation onto an online forum, unless you add the smiley-face , or the winky-face

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bump! After finding out how to remove the hood release lever and the front shroud, it's obvious that the serpentine belt can't be accessed from the top. Next time I change oil, I'm going to check out how much access (if any) can be obtained from the bottom. Anyone else have access to a Porsche Tech to determine the procedure for a belt change? "Inquiring minds want to know"!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I’m going to do this this weekend, my tensioner is toast and leaking fluid. It will def need to be done from underneath and the fans will need to be pulled.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm not doing my wifes belt until 100,000 miles. But steering has a click so I think I need to replace an axle (I hope it is that and not the steering column) But always be prepared, so I bought the manual for the macan. And the only engine it covers is the macan, not the S. I think. Still looking through the manual.

The instruction are as follows for the blet removal are as follows
1-remove engine cover
2-turn tensioner clockwise
3-remove belt

From the pic the post it does look like the wrench is coming from the bottom, but they did not say to remove the lower splash shield. Will keep you poted

1 - 20 of 39 Posts