Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I was headed to a project and hit a sizable rock on the road that had ventured over from a construction site. There were several on the road and traffic was coming the other way so I just picked one and tried to hit it in the center of the tire. I missed and hit the sidewall. The pressure warning came on and I watched the pressure drop on the instrument panel. I turned into a commercial driveway, stopped and watched the right front tire deflate.

It was actually a near perfect situation. No rain, overcast and still morning cool. My trunk was full of tools so took them out and filled up the back seat. Took the cover off the trunk floor and removed the tire and started inflating it. Takes a long time! Maybe 15 minutes.

Loosened the lug nuts then jacked up the car. The screw portion of the jack started to make contact with the lower trim so I put two layers of duct tape on to protect it. Everything else went smoothly.

My usual tire shop was only two miles away, a locally owned store. I got 20,000 miles on the Original Pirelli Scorpion Verdes, so best just to order a new set. Randy said he could order whatever he wanted but they had Michelin Latitude Tour HPs at the warehouse. About $1200 for the set and they go on tomorrow morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Too bad. How does the compressor work and where is it?
I just got my car from your neck of the woods.
Mine came with summer tires and I wish I had the ones you are getting. I assume they weren't worn out yet with 20K?

·
Registered
603 Posts
This morning I was headed to a project and hit a sizable rock on the road that had ventured over from a construction site. There were several on the road and traffic was coming the other way so I just picked one and tried to hit it in the center of the tire. I missed and hit the sidewall. The pressure warning came on and I watched the pressure drop on the instrument panel. I turned into a commercial driveway, stopped and watched the right front tire deflate.

It was actually a near perfect situation. No rain, overcast and still morning cool. My trunk was full of tools so took them out and filled up the back seat. Took the cover off the trunk floor and removed the tire and started inflating it. Takes a long time! Maybe 15 minutes.

Loosened the lug nuts then jacked up the car. The screw portion of the jack started to make contact with the lower trim so I put two layers of duct tape on to protect it. Everything else went smoothly.

My usual tire shop was only two miles away, a locally owned store. I got 20,000 miles on the Original Pirelli Scorpion Verdes, so best just to order a new set. Randy said he could order whatever he wanted but they had Michelin Latitude Tour HPs at the warehouse. About $1200 for the set and they go on tomorrow morning.

Youch!!

Thanks for the write up though... some good quick tips/info in there. Appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
858 Posts
@Yadkin, thanks for the write-up and the pics.

Seems a poor design, the part about the jack's screw touching the trim (and thanks especially for the pic on that, or I wouldn't have understood the situation). Note to self: throw in some duct tape back there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Similar thing happened to me on the freeway at 10 PM the other night, but I had a curved nail in between my tread on the rear driver's side tire. The thing was flat within a minute, and I didn't want to wait for roadside, so I decided to change it on the shoulder. Not the most ideal situation.

That collapsible spare took a while to inflate, so I bought a better compressor off Amazon, just in case it happens again.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too bad. How does the compressor work and where is it?
I just got my car from your neck of the woods.
Mine came with summer tires and I wish I had the ones you are getting. I assume they weren't worn out yet with 20K?
The compressor is behind the panel on the driver's side of the trunk. Plugs into the power port back there. Screw the hose onto the tire valve and turn it on. As I said before, it takes a long time so best to set that up first and let it run as you are raising the car and removing the problem wheel.

The OE Pirellis have 0.22 to 0.23" tread left on them, even across the width. Look (tomorrow) for the two rears and the one good front on Craigslist for Winston-Salem.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Similar thing happened to me on the freeway at 10 PM the other night, but I had a curved nail in between my tread on the rear driver's side tire. The thing was flat within a minute, and I didn't want to wait for roadside, so I decided to change it on the shoulder. Not the most ideal situation.

That collapsible spare took a while to inflate, so I bought a better compressor off Amazon, just in case it happens again.
Glad you are safe. Lots of bad things can happen on the shoulder of a highway, especially at night. I have (luckily) never been on the side of a freeway in an auto emergency situation. I worked for the DOT as a traffic engineer for a year and had to access and evaluate road signs, and that sucked.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My new Michelin Latitude Tour HPs are super quiet. The OE tires weren't loud per se, but I could definitely hear a belt rhythm from one of the fronts. These new tires are dead silent.

·
Registered
884 Posts
"Loosened the lug nuts then jacked up the car. The screw portion of the jack started to make contact with the lower trim so I put two layers of duct tape on to protect it. "
The foot of the jack needs to be adjusted differently to the way it sits in the car. You may have to break the paint, but it is adjustable to avoid the screw contact with the lower trim piece.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Loosened the lug nuts then jacked up the car. The screw portion of the jack started to make contact with the lower trim so I put two layers of duct tape on to protect it. "
The foot of the jack needs to be adjusted differently to the way it sits in the car. You may have to break the paint, but it is adjustable to avoid the screw contact with the lower trim piece.
The jack can only fit in the car at the lift point. The base of the jack must be directly below and flat against the pavement.

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
...The screw portion of the jack started to make contact with the lower trim so I put two layers of duct tape on to protect it. ....
As the previous posters have noted, the base of the jack needs to be rotated prior to use. Have a look at the pictures in this earlier post to see how it should look.
Glad it worked out for you.

https://www.macanforum.com/forum/2151714-post20.html

·
Registered
858 Posts
As the previous posters have noted, the base of the jack needs to be rotated prior to use. Have a look at the pictures in this earlier post to see how it should look.

Thanks for that link. Somehow I missed that original thread, and it explains the situation clearly. Need to go out to the car with my deadblow mallet, and check this out.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
999 Posts
. . . Randy said he could order whatever he wanted but they had Michelin Latitude Tour HPs at the warehouse. About $1200 for the set and they go on tomorrow morning.
Was Randy able to get that new set of Latitudes and mount 'em for you? All set for another 20000 miles?

·
Registered
257 Posts
There's another thread devoted to the jack and the inherent danger using this POS design. In addition to the possibility of messing up the outer rocker panel, it can collapse if the foot or base is not perfectly perpendicular under the jacking insert and/or not used on level pavement. A regular scissors design would be much safer.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I looked at the jack again on Friday after I got my trunk cleared out from work. I understand that the "foot" rotates, and I had rotated it when fixing the flat the other day to get it flat on the pavement. Maybe I should carry a block of wood with me. There's room for about 1/2 cord under the tire. ;)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Was Randy able to get that new set of Latitudes and mount 'em for you? All set for another 20000 miles?
Drove 200 miles this weekend with Miss Daisy and she absolutely loves the new tires. Super quiet and "like floating on air". They feel more stable than the Pirellis, however I have not pushed it on the twisties yet. Hopefully I can get 40k out of them. But a lot of that depends on when the winter comes in that time frame. I like to have at least 1/2 tread depth for my winter driving.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts