Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not all that easy.

1. Taking the cover off (four T25 screws) is easy enough. Taking out the side panel is the problem.
2. The two T30 "screws" are actually plastic pins. Turn about 1/4 turn to unlock and use small pliers to grab and lift out. Overturn and they will break. New ones are $6 each, plus shipping. That lets you move the tube that feeds the turbocharger off the O-ring and out of the way.
3. Slide the side panel (engine side) up and out. This is the challenging part because there is nothing to grip and after less than 6 months it is seized in there. No where to pry out. I ended up taking the air box out (one T30 screw) and putting the whole thing up-side down on my bench. Tapping with a plastic hammer broke a piece off (****). I then choose the right tool (a rigid, dull, paint scraper) and worked it out from the bottom.
4. After that you just maneuver the plastic framed air cleaner element out, pull it off the big O-ring, and change it.
5. The black foam is a pre-filter to keep the tightly spaced pleats from clogging. It is a very dense pleat pattern.
6. I ordered Wix filters from Rock Auto for replacement.
7. Silicon spray on the O-ring (both sides) and side panel slide areas makes it go together a lot easier. Should also make it come apart a lot easier next time.
8. The side panel is not sold by itself. The assembly costs $202, plus tax and shipping. I glued mine back together.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My Wix air filters came in. They look just like the originals. Very dense pleats with black foam on the outside to keep them from clogging.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm also an owner of the 2018 Macan sport & used your post to check out the air filter in mine. Mine has 3250 or so miles showing, so I hope we can keep in touch. I'm asking what tires you're using & if you've thought about adjusting the wheel size/offset in order to have the same size tires, front & rear ? I'm located in Mtn. city TN. & have played on the "snake" w/my cars & bikes, since retiring here in '05. Your handle makes me wonder if you're near Yadkinville NC ?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm also an owner of the 2018 Macan sport & used your post to check out the air filter in mine. Mine has 3250 or so miles showing, so I hope we can keep in touch. I'm asking what tires you're using & if you've thought about adjusting the wheel size/offset in order to have the same size tires, front & rear ? I'm located in Mtn. city TN. & have played on the "snake" w/my cars & bikes, since retiring here in '05. Your handle makes me wonder if you're near Yadkinville NC ?
You'll want to keep your staggered wheel set for best handling. I am considering getting a second set for winter only, since I do a lot of winter driving in the mountains of NC, and those would be all the same size.

My car came with Pirelli Scorpion Verdes, they were noisy and I punctured a sidewall of one at 20k miles, so replaced them with Michelin Latitude Tour HPs. The Michs are very quiet.

I live near the Yadkin River.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Those Michelins are on my sport as well. Treadwear 440, so I hope they last more than what was on the Cayman I traded for the Macan. My bride is more comfortable in the sport & likes the way it handles compared to her x-trek. Did you buy it new & what's your mpg like ?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I bought mine new. Average a little over 25mpg on 93 octane. I have a Racechip GTS in mine set on Sport mode.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you install the race chip & if so, are the instructions easy to follow ? How many miles are on the chip ? So far so good ? PCA member ?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Easy install, at least 30k miles ago, except I could not figure out the blue tooth connectivity. So I wouldn't recommend that option. Basically it "fools" the waste gate into staying open longer, so the extra power is on the top end. 20% claimed in sport mode, which I have not changed since I installed it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts