Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey guys
I found a car I like - all specs I want, the color, and it’s certified pre owned at the dealer. BUT - it has a wrap on it that I don’t want (hides the beautiful color that I know should be under there!)

It was a lease return, meaning the person who leased it returned it with a wrap. So the dealer couldn’t have seen any door dings or scratches (or heck - the car could have been keyed for all they know!).

can they CPO a car that was wrapped?
Am I protected if I remove the wrap and find something? After all, a wrap only last upwards of five years anyway - so it's not permanent!
Ok, so maybe I can be of help here. I bought my 2015 Turbo 2.5 years ago from the #1 Porsche dealer in Chicago.....it was a CPO car and when I went to see it in person, it was spectacular.....black/black and a brilliant shine. The sales guy said the previous owner had the entire car wrapped, ($7500 cost) and also had an aftermarket performance exhaust added. Also have some cool Porsche tray inserts in the doors.

Car was perfect, could tell the previous owner cared for it. The day I bought it there were two other parties waiting for it in case I changed my mind, which I didn't. Two and half years later the wrap is still on, and the car waxes up like new. The exhaust sounds better than any stock Macan I have seen/heard, and I have driven 60,000+ trouble free miles. My CPO expires at the end of the month, and I calculated that with my $750 monthly car allowance + 0.56 per mile reimbursement, based on my still $30k value, I have driven the car for free, and probably up $8-$10K which is crazy. I know I'm fortunate to get a car allowance but I drive my cars 35000 miles/yr, and the wrap really works. Not a single rock chip on it, although I did have to replace windshield due to flying rock. I will probably be looking to having it "de-wrapped" next year sometime, because all good things come to an end......my company is stopping the allowance gig and giving us company cars. So the Porsche will be garaged for weekends and I'm hoping it should have pristine paint when the wrap comes off. In short, maybe the wrap is a positive especially if the car checks all of the other boxes like mine did, and like you said earlier it did for you as well. Good luck, these cars are just so much fun!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I know
I asked the dealer to remove it. They said they would only do it after I purchase and that CPO doesn’t have paint requirements - it is mechanical. Grrrr
I infer by "wrap" and your comment about the underlying color, you mean a pigmented wrap (i.e. different color from the paint), as opposed to a couple of people talking about an Xpel "wrap" by which I infer they mean a clear paint protection film. In which case those are two different stories. (I bought a CPO Boxster last year with partial ppf and I see that as a value-add, if anything.)

My thinking is this: if you like the car with the wrap on (i.e. you would be satisfied not to remove the wrap any time soon), then you could take the risk that the paint underneath was not perfect. If you definitely want the wrap off, and the dealer insists it's your risk, I would pass (it is not reasonable for the dealer to ask you to take a risk like that at these price levels; otoh the dealer may feel they can easily find a buyer who is perfectly happy with the wrap.) So this is analogous to you looking at a car that is not the color that you want: would you buy that car even though it was not a color you want?

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS & 2009 Porsche 911 S Cabriolet
10 Posts
Sorry, you are correct, I meant a XPEL clear wrap, not some sort of colored or printed wrap. S

·
Registered
27 Posts
I infer by "wrap" and your comment about the underlying color, you mean a pigmented wrap (i.e. different color from the paint), as opposed to a couple of people talking about an Xpel "wrap" by which I infer they mean a clear paint protection film. In which case those are two different stories. (I bought a CPO Boxster last year with partial ppf and I see that as a value-add, if anything.)

My thinking is this: if you like the car with the wrap on (i.e. you would be satisfied not to remove the wrap any time soon), then you could take the risk that the paint underneath was not perfect. If you definitely want the wrap off, and the dealer insists it's your risk, I would pass (it is not reasonable for the dealer to ask you to take a risk like that at these price levels; otoh the dealer may feel they can easily find a buyer who is perfectly happy with the wrap.) So this is analogous to you looking at a car that is not the color that you want: would you buy that car even though it was not a color you want?
Yes, me too, mine was Clear bra Xpel film........wrapped the entire car........still looks perfect a 5 years.....so definitely clear film is what I'm talking about........good clarification

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know people that wrap their car a different color every year. Wrap does offer colors not available as an option. I would say wrap completed their vision of what they wanted the car to be. The dealer probably knows the customer and the car is most likely in great shape. Some people may like it and consider it an upgrade. Others may not. I’ve seen brand new BMW super cars wrapped in gold, because their parents send them lots of Money every month. Amd what’s funny is they have no clue how to drive the car. But it’s wrapped and lloks cool to them. Theiir friends think it looks sick and pictures of the car are all over social media. I’m willing to bet the paint is flawless underneath.

I personally wouldn't consider it and just move on. I’m old school and like paint.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts