Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
I found a car I like - all specs I want, the color, and it’s certified pre owned at the dealer. BUT - it has a wrap on it that I don’t want (hides the beautiful color that I know should be under there!)

It was a lease return, meaning the person who leased it returned it with a wrap. So the dealer couldn’t have seen any door dings or scratches (or heck - the car could have been keyed for all they know!).

can they CPO a car that was wrapped?
Am I protected if I remove the wrap and find something? After all, a wrap only last upwards of five years anyway - so it's not permanent!

·
Registered
830 Posts
You can call porsche corporate and they will tell you if car is CPO or not. I don't think wrapping will void CPO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called porsche
The person I spoke with said it is CPO but she thought it was “odd” that it had a wrap (for the same reasons I mentioned)

·
Premium Member
6,968 Posts
Ask the selling dealer to remove the wrap and make sure the original paint meets the CPO standard.

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
I had a friend who leased a BMW and put Suntek protection film on it . They did a perfect job and the car was impeccable when he went to return it . BMW made him take it off .

There are too many other NON wrapped CPO's . I'd pass.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I called porsche
The person I spoke with said it is CPO but she thought it was “odd” that it had a wrap (for the same reasons I mentioned)
If it's CPO on corporate end you should be all set as long as you are fine with the wrap. If not - just keep shopping.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ask the selling dealer to remove the wrap and make sure the original paint meets the CPO standard.
I know
I asked the dealer to remove it. They said they would only do it after I purchase and that CPO doesn’t have paint requirements - it is mechanical. Grrrr

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
I know
I asked the dealer to remove it. They said they would only do it after I purchase and that CPO doesn’t have paint requirements - it is mechanical. Grrrr
On that dealer note it’s a pass. You have paint requirements I would not buy any car that has a wrap,who knows what lies beneath.

·
Premium Member
6,968 Posts
I know
So Porsche would CPO a car with chipped/oxidized/peeled paint and sell it as is? Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

Reactions: ///Bruce

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Not sure why I'm finding cars with 'issues' - but the other CPO I like has painted calipers - painted red (aftermarket).
Is that a reason to be concerned? Would hate if they chipped or faded due to poor workmanship, but then I’m on the hook.

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
Not sure why I'm finding cars with 'issues' - but the other CPO I like has painted calipers - painted red (aftermarket).
Is that a reason to be concerned? Would hate if they chipped or faded due to poor workmanship, but then I’m on the hook.
Much of this can be remedied with a new car . A few less options , a lower trim if needed , no headaches.

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS
705 Posts
I’d be concerned by someone modding the car pretty much at all myself. I want to choose what happens to the car, not wonder what else someone who may have just spray painted the calipers thought was a good idea. I don’t have anything against used, but find something coming off lease for your cpo.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I know
If the dealer is not willing to give you a fully refundable deposit and remove it, walk away. I think the crazy tight used car market, has these dealers emboldened, smh.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hard pass. I know it’s a crazy market but some of these dealers are doing things that are illegal if it wasn’t for everything that’s going on. I’m shocked but also not regarding the wrap part, as I’ve had 2 dealers just say they don’t care my rear tires need to be replaced and I have a minor curb rash, they are buying any car they can get.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Yes. For the simple reason the braking system was tampered with. Who did the job? We’re the calipers removed? What else was messed with?

Reactions: Gachnar

·
Registered
2018 Porsche Macan GTS & 2009 Porsche 911 S Cabriolet
10 Posts
Slightly different twist.

The P car dealer in SoCal bought back my 2018 GTS CPO due to a catastrophic engine failure in March. I had previously wrapped the car with Xpel. The dealer indicated they would keep the wrap on the car and when they bought it back from me they gave me cash $$$ for the amount I paid for the wrap. See My Tale of Two 2018 Porsche Macan GTS CPOs – Buyer Be Aware (not beware) of CPOs for more info.

So, my take on the dealer would probably leave the wrap on and use it as a selling tool.

S

p.s. I don't the car referenced in this thread is mine BTW

1 - 20 of 25 Posts