Porsche Macan Forum banner

261 - 280 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have no skin in this game because I am on Android so I will likely never be mirroring my display in my Macan. I also don't see much value in the wireless versions and I would most likely be plugging in my phone anyway for power.

However, I think it is important to understand how the technology works. Both wireless versions of Carplay and Android Auto use Bluetooth only to recognize the device for pairing. After that a direct Wifi connection is made to transport data, both audio and video. Bluetooth does not have enough bandwidth for video so Wifi technology is used. So while Wifi is still a radio based technology and is therefore susceptible to interference, the connection should be robust and not require the inferior audio compression from Bluetooth. I have not personally tried the wireless versions of either but the audio quality should be very good, possible equal to wired...

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Sonorous,
Is that the case also for non CarPlay, Bluetooth connected audio ?
That audio is transported via WiFi ?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sonorous,
Is that the case also for non CarPlay, Bluetooth connected audio ?
That audio is transported via WiFi ?
A regular Bluetooth connection is just that, Bluetooth. Only the screen mirroring connection in wireless Carplay uses WiFi (and only available in select vehicles and aftermarket head units). And if you are using wired Carplay, the audio is wired.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
I have no skin in this game because I am on Android so I will likely never be mirroring my display in my Macan. I also don't see much value in the wireless versions and I would most likely be plugging in my phone anyway for power.

However, I think it is important to understand how the technology works. Both wireless versions of Carplay and Android Auto use Bluetooth only to recognize the device for pairing. After that a direct Wifi connection is made to transport data, both audio and video. Bluetooth does not have enough bandwidth for video so Wifi technology is used. So while Wifi is still a radio based technology and is therefore susceptible to interference, the connection should be robust and not require the inferior audio compression from Bluetooth. I have not personally tried the wireless versions of either but the audio quality should be very good, possible equal to wired...
Contrary to a typical home or office, cars are extremelly electromagnetically noisy environments, specially the modern ones. For example, old fashioned magnetic compasses don’t work anywhere in the dash anymore. There is no way that you’ll get the same bandwidth performance using any radio communication system inside a car, as compared with a direct wired connection. That’s the laws of physics.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Can Apple Car Play be added

Have a 2018 Macan and didn't add the Apple Car Play app when I ordered it. I did order Nav , but want to get Car play as it shows traffic issues and is always up to date.
Can the dealer do this?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yes, I just had this done at a dealer for about $800. I was hoping they'd update the PCM when adding CarPlay (I wanted the volume indicator on my display which is was on my new loaner Macan, but not my 2017 Macan).

CarPlay doesn't always work that well, but when it does it's great!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I listen to Apple CarPlay using bluetooth in my Macan all the time and it works and sounds just fine.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I listen to Apple CarPlay using bluetooth in my Macan all the time and it works and sounds just fine.
What do you mean? You can only get Apple CarPlay using the USB connection (i.e. cable) on the PCM, as far as I know.

If you listen to music on Bluetooth, that's not Apple CarPlay. It's just the car's standard Bluetooth audio interface.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

A newbie here so sorry for anything I say that is not relevant.

I'm in Australia and have just bought the latest Macan S which included the PCM 4.0. Love the car but from what I've seen, this system lets it down greatly. My navigation drops out as I drive and have to re-enter the last destination. They other day, I had to re-enter it 4 times for the one journey. (this may be due to the Vodafone sim car they put in teh car and it's less than comprehensive network coverage).....But hey, you don't buy the car for the nav system.....

Adding to the pain, I am a Samaung (Android) user and jumped off the Apple bandwagon many years ago so to find that it only "fully" integrates with Apple CarPlay was a little disappointing.

Anyway, I have decided to buy a secondhand Apple iPhone (I read 5S was the earliest Porsche Car-play version supported) to purely always leave in the car so that when I get in, I can use the nav more closely resembling the Android Auto i had in my previous car. I much prefer GoogleMaps (coming round to Waze) and Spotify integration. From what I have seen, I'll be able to put one of the tiles on the main screen and "flip" between these as i go.

My question being, once I get this, do I then need to buy another phone number/data sim package or can it share my data on my Samsung phone for this? Or can I buy a separate SIM for data purposes only (to handle the internet requirements) and my Samsung phone can still manage the phone calls. Or do I even need a iPhone and could have used some other Apple device for this?

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
318 Posts
Waze can be used on CarPlay; I do.
I concur. Waze, Apple Maps and Google Maps work just fine. I also use the Music and the Podcasts app and they also work just fine.

Personally I have no functional problems with CarPlay except that although my phone has the option "allow CarPlay when locked" option turned on, this is not consistent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and the phone says "unlock iPhone to use accessories", which is relatively irksome and for sure one of the many iOS bugs and quirks.

Apart from that, I personally find the interface - while functional - quite old fashioned and not that attractive, and I wish it worked somehow without plugging the phone in, which sometimes I forget to do and then it's annoying to do while on the move, especially with the lock bug I mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I have experienced this as well.

This has happen to me occasionally. The solution is simple and quick; quick glance for face scan to unlock and plug back in.

John

261 - 280 of 283 Posts