Porsche Macan Forum banner

241 - 260 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
found a supplier in the UK and got this message from them,

The price of the kit is 279GBP. You only need the licence key as your VIN indicates you already have voice control and Nav.
Porsche’s advised installation time to enable the licence key is 1hr 15mins.

nmautomotive, im not affiliated with them or anything just wanted to share my finding.

Need to get a quote from my dealer to have it activated

·
Registered
133 Posts
Added Apple CarPlay

Thanks. That page shows that the part is only for 2017 and newer. Guess I'm SOL for now.

There is a hack for 2014-16 that involves opening up the PCM and adding a circuit board. My understanding is the board is needed to capture touchscreen and button/knob presses, an additional box, dedicated USB and microphone are also installed. I believe this conflicts with a Sirius board so you would lose that functionality but the rest of PCM/NAV/park assist/etc work as expected. CarPlay is launched with a long button press of the info button.

There’s a thread on here about a UK shop that has done the mod (with video), but I’m waiting to see someone in the US do it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I’ve done it. You loose all radio not just Sirius unless you can squeeze the CarPlay board in there like I did. I works flawlessly after installed. Got the board from aliexpress.
Thanks. That page shows that the part is only for 2017 and newer. Guess I'm SOL for now.

There is a hack for 2014-16 that involves opening up the PCM and adding a circuit board. My understanding is the board is needed to capture touchscreen and button/knob presses, an additional box, dedicated USB and microphone are also installed. I believe this conflicts with a Sirius board so you would lose that functionality but the rest of PCM/NAV/park assist/etc work as expected. CarPlay is launched with a long button press of the info button.

There’s a thread on here about a UK shop that has done the mod (with video), but I’m waiting to see someone in the US do it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I’ve done it. You loose all radio not just Sirius unless you can squeeze the CarPlay board in there like I did. I works flawlessly after installed. Got the board from aliexpress.

Can you share more details? Every writeup and video I’ve seen claims everything functional except DAB/Sirius. Are you referring to the “Unichip” made board/box combo?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yea I seen the same write ups etc. but I followed the instructions and I had no radio. If you look on the botttom of the Sirius board there is a hd radio chip. I also had issues with the wiring harness,a couple of the wires that are in the original harness are not patched through the CarPlay harness because they are a special type of wire. You have to remove them from the original harness and into the other side of the CarPlay harness. It was the lsailt CarPlay kit.

Can you share more details? Every writeup and video I’ve seen claims everything functional except DAB/Sirius. Are you referring to the “Unichip” made board/box combo?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thank you Jeff

2018 GTS with Nav - NO Voice Control, NO Connect, NO Connect+

Just had dealer install the Porsche CarPlay module - works great.

Initially dealer said VC was needed to get it all to work and I've seen posts on this forum that said same thing, At least with this 2018 adding VC was not needed nor was it something I wanted. If I ever need to use Siri there's a white button icon on the bottom left of the screen.
I just wanted to say Thank You to Jeff for sharing his experience and helping me through the process of getting the Apple CarPlay purchased and installed. I ordered the part from my local dealer and was able to have it installed before taking delivery of my car yesterday. The dealer didn't realized this was possible without the Connect Plus option. Oh, did I tell you, the installation or activation of the CarPlay key was on the house too! :D

again, Thank you Jeff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wireless Carplay?

Are there any current Macan models with WIRELESS Carplay? All the threads I could find on the forum were older, and can't find anything about wireless in the Macan, or any Porsche.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Are there any current Macan models with WIRELESS Carplay? All the threads I could find on the forum were older, and can't find anything about wireless in the Macan, or any Porsche.

No. BMW is the only OEM to ship wireless CarPlay, starting in the 5 series last year. MB has announced they will start supporting it as of 2019.

Not really a Porsche failing: some 300 models support CarPlay, but as far as I can tell only the 2017+ 5/6 series support wireless.

·
Registered
27 Posts
About 5 months ago this was the list of supported vehicles I saw:

Mini 2018 LCI Hatch & Convertible range
BMW 2017 5 Series
BMW 2018 3 Series
Mercedes 2018 A-Class (Q3 2018)
Mercedes 2019 GLE (MBUX system)

Harmon who is a supplier for some of Porsche electronics now has a CarPlay solution so maybe soon.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My wife’s 2018 X3 has wireless CarPlay. I’m not so sure it’s a good thing. It seems to have a problem pairing with more than one phone. It would be simpler just to plug in the phone you want connected.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2018 BMW Alpina B6 has wireless carplay .. not sure why my 2018 Macan TPP is not .. however with that said .. both work similarly and I should not be touching the phone anyway when I drive

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Why would you like to have your phone not to charge while it is in your car?

·
Registered
133 Posts

More about convenience then wanting “not to charge”. For a quick trip, or a trip with quick stops (gas, running into a post office, etc) I may want to use CarPlay for waze but taking phone out, plugging, unplugging and leaving, replugging when returning, etc is a hassle solved by wireless CarPlay.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nick, you’re killing me I’m gonna pull the trigger on your 3.1 CarPlay kit in the next few months, but email me if you want a guinea pig for wireless
Android Auto for PCM4 coming anytime soon? I don't see it shown on your website.

I have no issue with a wired solution, if it all works as it should.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think all have cordless charging...so it's more that it's silly to plug the phone in for carplay then place it on a charge mat. TBH with anything above base audio spec l can hear the drop in sound quality with a Bluetooth connection

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think all have cordless charging...so it's more that it's silly to plug the phone in for carplay then place it on a charge mat. TBH with anything above base audio spec l can hear the drop in sound quality with a Bluetooth connection
Good to know about the drop in quality if using wireless. Thanks

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Not only audio quality suffers. Overall system response as well. All actions become more sluggish. Bluetooth, as in any radio system, is susceptible to noise. A hard wire is not.

241 - 260 of 283 Posts