Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those ones that are on the fence of getting Connect ($830 Option) or Connect Plus ($1300 Option) because of CarPlay, Engadget just released a review of it.

CarPlay Review

·
Banned
39 Posts
For those ones that are on the fence of getting Connect ($830 Option) or Connect Plus ($1300 Option) because of CarPlay, Engadget just released a review of it.

CarPlay Review
CarPlay Connect can use apple maps or app maps of an iphone via PCM? without navigation module and connect plus, will it use maps?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
CarPlay Connect can use apple maps or app maps of an iphone via PCM? without navigation module and connect plus, will it use maps?
Yes you can use the iPhone Apple Maps on the PCM screen, using the data from your phone.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Click on the link?

Page ONE BIG letters:

Cons

• No Google Maps support
Followed by:

Summary
We'd like it even better if Google Maps were supported, and if you could use voice commands to control third-party apps."
"Apple's navigation software is the only option"

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Click on the link?

Page ONE BIG letters:

Cons

• No Google Maps support
Followed by:

Summary
We'd like it even better if Google Maps were supported, and if you could use voice commands to control third-party apps."
"Apple's navigation software is the only option"

Did you think apple would support anything but their own product! Apple maps sucks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
the new PCM has Google Maps in the built in Sat Nav anyway, so you don't need the poor Apple Maps. the Carplay piece just gives you better integration and control with your iphone. If you're a spotify user, great, beyond that, can't really see that much to get excited over.

The new PCM with the google traffic and maps is the bits to get excited about

AG

·
Registered
477 Posts
Did you think apple would support anything but their own product! Apple maps sucks.
Cue in the reports of Macans in ditches and lakes due to horrible directions from Apple maps.
On a serious note, a friend of mine did get a ticket because he got caught making an illegal turn while following directions from his Apple maps app. He only uses Google maps now.

It's going to take me a few years to replace my Macan, but if by then the Macan still doesn't have Android Auto, I'm going to look elsewhere. I find it utterly ridiculous Porsche not supporting Android when every other automaker supports both.

·
Registered
148 Posts
1. Porsche said they are not supporting Android auto because it requires too much diagnostic data to be recorded by Google and they don't want to share. I have no issues with Porsche; it is with Google requiring diagnostic data. They are all about big analytics

2. The new PCM has Google Maps and Street view built in so I don't understand the concerns. Google maps is better and the new Navigation system in the Macan uses it without data so you get Appple Car play AND Google Maps integrated.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Is Waze supported by CarPlay? Can you have Waze on the screen of the new PCM?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Wow!!! That is really bad. I thought you could basically mimic your phone into the PCM screen. It kind of makes me feel a little better that I can't have this on my 15 Macan. ;)

Nope, no Waze only Apple Maps.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Wow!!! That is really bad. I thought you could basically mimic your phone into the PCM screen. It kind of makes me feel a little better that I can't have this on my 15 Macan. ;)
The things it is upgradable, so it may support it in the future.

·
Registered
88 Posts
How can the integrated Google Maps work without using data? I am confused. Can someone point me to an article discussing this? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
1. Porsche said they are not supporting Android auto because it requires too much diagnostic data to be recorded by Google and they don't want to share. I have no issues with Porsche; it is with Google requiring diagnostic data. They are all about big analytics

2. The new PCM has Google Maps and Street view built in so I don't understand the concerns. Google maps is better and the new Navigation system in the Macan uses it without data so you get Appple Car play AND Google Maps integrated.

There seams to be a lot of exuberant idealism here and in other post on the wonders of the new PCM.

Embedded street view? 20,000 Terabyte hard drive? I guess you could get away with a 10th for one continent. Not sure what is built in (no data service required) but its not street view as known today.

Apple and Google collaborating? Maybe in transferring key clicks.

Yes no Waze (Google).

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
The best things about CarPlay from the above review seem to be less dangerous use of:

1. Text
2. Spotify

...and improved Siri voice recognition

The worst obviously is no Google Maps. Many of us (even with PCM Navy) can't be bothered to input addresses into the car so we use Google Maps navy from our phones and it streams via bluetooth. If CarPlay displayed the Google maps route on the 7" screen everyone would order it. Nobody likes Apple Maps.

The new PCM is improved with better traffic info and Google Earth so you get more bang for your buck now for the 3K price tag (PCM navy+CarPlay). The previous version of PCM for 3K was an embarrassment but the new version is not exactly a bargain. Many people can do without it still and just use Google Maps from their phone.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The apple car play and google maps are different functions. There is no collaboration across companies?

Google Maps is in the PCM navigation module. It uses data but not your phone's data unless you want it to . If not you will need a separate SIM after free period of 6 months or a year. Not sure on free period length. You can always stream Google Maps directly now using bluetooth interface (That is What I Do) you just will not see maps on PCM.

Apple Car Play is separate front end interface supported by the PCM to your phone and if you are in the car play environment apple maps is available but this will use your phone data, although this data usage is small compared to streaming music and video.

Porsche Connect Plus - Porsche Cars North America

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
The apple car play and google maps are different functions. There is no collaboration across companies?

Google Maps is in the PCM navigation module. It uses data but not your phone's data unless you want it to . If not you will need a separate SIM after free period of 6 months or a year. Not sure on free period length. You can always tream Google Maps direction now using bluetooth interface (That is What I Do) you just want see maps on PCM.

Apple Car Play is separate front end interface supported by the PCM to your phone and if you are in the car play environment apple maps is available but this will use your phone data, although this data usage is small compared to streaming music and video.

Porsche Connect Plus - Porsche Cars North America
Just to be clear, the new Nav in PCM is not Google Maps with the Google Maps user interface. It's is Porsche's own Nav system. It just uses Google Earth and Google Street View to give you 3D pictures of the locations/area.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Before everyone starts to bash on CarPlay per the review, keep in mind the system is relatively new so there is still a lot of room for improvements. To me, it's purely OTA SW update similar to iOS update. Perhaps 6 months or a year there will be an update to integrate more application support which I think will make CarPlay a much stronger platform. I believe the review is helpful for folks, like me, who is on the fence of getting the Connect/Connect Plus options for their MY17 or GTS built at this time, whether the money is worth investing. The decision is on its own.

As many other's concern around Google Map support, I believe it will be coming on CarPlay. While Apple seems to encourage consumers to use Apple Maps but Apple can't deny the fact there are just so many Google Map users. Part of the reason why when Google Map was pulled out of App Store a year ago, then re-introduced later on. Imagine when CarPlay starts to support Google Map, I think it would definitely make CarPlay a much more appealing investments.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just to be clear, the new Nav in PCM is not Google Maps with the Google Maps user interface. It's is Porsche's own Nav system. It just uses Google Earth and Google Street View to give you 3D pictures of the locations/area.
Yeah that is more clear but the other feature that I was mainly referring to is the search features that are powered by google / internet. When you search for nearby "restaurants" it should be same results as when you do it on the phone App and not older libraries. It is internet powered with current data which should improve overall UI experience and biggest thing lacking in most current navigation units by manufactures.

·
Registered
19 Posts
New PCM

Hi I have had my lovely Macan Diesel now for 6months. I cherish every day it is with me. Great great car.

I wonder if anyone can let me know if there is the facility to upgrade the PCM t be able to get Google maps and or Appleplay on my own PCM. Are there any fixes possible?

Thanks all

1 - 20 of 282 Posts