Porsche Macan Forum banner
241 - 260 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I successfully installed the ISUDAR system in my '16 Turbo yesterday. I had to make a trip to the hardware store since the included standoffs didn't leave enough clearance for my Sirius module but that was the only surprise.

I'll agree that audio quality is much better when using AUX BT, but then you lose Siri and navigation audio so I'll probably just stick with AUX for the most part.

Thanks to everybody in this thread for the information. @Santirx maybe I missed it but where did you mount your microphone? I tried getting into the overhead console but was afraid of breaking something so I just stashed the mic at the top of the A pillar for the moment.
I just put it on the trim under the steering wheel column. Used double sided tape.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I ordered new unit solely for using AUX BT. Using carplay AUX with burmester speakers is just a pain in my ears. All the songs just sound wrong. There is no depth, no sound stage, no joy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I successfully installed the ISUDAR system in my '16 Turbo yesterday. I had to make a trip to the hardware store since the included standoffs didn't leave enough clearance for my Sirius module but that was the only surprise.
How many standoffs did isudar ship you?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
How many standoffs did isudar ship you?
Only 3. If you have the Sirius/XM module and want to keep it, you’ll need 3 additional standoffs install on top of the standoffs provided so that the Isudar module can clear Sirius/XM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
I received the module from ISUDAR. ordered via their website direct, not aliexpress.
I have to buy the vent pullers before attempting the install.

• is it correct i do not need to use the lengthy mic wire? if so do I just leave the female mic as is?
  • i received 6 standoffs. would this resolve the clearance issues?
  • do the FFC cables go in only one way? i can diy mechanical things but i rarely touch electronics.

Thanks in Advance.

But here is what I received:

Smashed box

Not sure if it matters but noticed the board is ver 1.2

·
Registered
38 Posts
Only 3. If you have the Sirius/XM module and want to keep it, you’ll need 3 additional standoffs install on top of the standoffs provided so that the Isudar module can clear Sirius/XM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK i hope the 6 Isudar sent me will reduce the 20 minutes Don16 used up in his install video :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Quick question- I have a NetworkWWS adapter which has decent sound quality (for those of you with buzzing, make sure you don't have a loop in your wiring around anything that carries power as this will cause alternator whine) but no support of track skip/advance in either AA or Carplay. I was wondering if this single-board iSudar setup supports the PCM buttons on the faceplate for controlling audio sources via Carplay/AA. I know Joyeauto does. Also, for those of you on Android, I have an AAWireless adapter that plugs into the USB port, and one feature it has is 'BT audio sink' which reroutes audio from Android Auto to A2DP Bluetooth audio. In its current state it does not pass along Google Assistant or Maps voice prompts but they say they'll look into it. I will keep people posted on progress if that is of interest. Thanks!
Can you share this adaptor with me please?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
361 Posts
Quick question- I have a NetworkWWS adapter which has decent sound quality (for those of you with buzzing, make sure you don't have a loop in your wiring around anything that carries power as this will cause alternator whine) but no support of track skip/advance in either AA or Carplay. I was wondering if this single-board iSudar setup supports the PCM buttons on the faceplate for controlling audio sources via Carplay/AA. I know Joyeauto does. Also, for those of you on Android, I have an AAWireless adapter that plugs into the USB port, and one feature it has is 'BT audio sink' which reroutes audio from Android Auto to A2DP Bluetooth audio. In its current state it does not pass along Google Assistant or Maps voice prompts but they say they'll look into it. I will keep people posted on progress if that is of interest. Thanks!
Yes you can control from PCM3.1 to skip tracks etc..

The white noise and interference noise videos are here:

One video is with android auto connected via USB cable, I get a white noise but only at close to max volume 80%+.

The other video is android auto connected wireless, you can hear the WiFi interference, mostly noticable at volumes 60%+.

Not sure if it's the wiring or something I have missed.

·
Registered
361 Posts
@Don16 can u confirm this:
  • is it correct i do not need to use the lengthy mic wire? if so do I just leave the female mic as is?
If you already have the factory fit Bluetooth then correct, you do not need to install microphone that comes with the jw

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I just put it on the trim under the steering wheel column. Used double sided tape.
Turns out that my original mic is now working. Not sure if it was one of the firmware updates that I did, but is working now. Removed the provided mic, selected original mic, and is working well… :)

Experienced some intermitent audio interruptions with AUXBT, not related to the CarPlay board. Apparently a known issue with PCM… maybe surfaced after I updated PCM to 4.76, as this was not an issue before. Re-paired the iPhone to PCM again, and it hasn’t happened again. Will continue to monitor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Turns out that my original mic is now working. Not sure if it was one of the firmware updates that I did, but is working now. Removed the provided mic, selected original mic, and is working well… :)

Experienced some intermitent audio interruptions with AUXBT, not related to the CarPlay board. Apparently a known issue with PCM… maybe surfaced after I updated PCM to 4.76, as this was not an issue before. Re-paired the iPhone to PCM again, and it hasn’t happened again. Will continue to monitor.
great to hear - yes it seems overkill to have another mic the more integrated the better

·
Registered
38 Posts
ISUDAR module was installed last night. Just wanted to add some observations to help the next guy like you all helped me.

- What a pain to pull out the vents. left came out as instructed, but i did manage to snap a small tab. did not notice till i put it back together but it went back in fine.
i had the entire passenger length trim panel dislodged but the final lowest vent clip by the stereo refuse to come out. but with brute force it finally dislodged.

Here's a few items that differ from the previous installs:

the Sirius board has a GIANT green plug that is unlike any of the others posted here and online:
Product Circuit component Electronic component Electronic engineering Computer hardware

ISUDAR sent 6 Standoffs, 18CM. i thought i would be enough as Don16 used 15+20 for his install, but my sirius board/plug is different.

I ended up using 20+20 in order to have the ISUDAR board clear. i don't think it clear but most likely it rests on that plug. I'm from canada so maybe the canadian board is different i dont' know.

Computer Passive circuit component Circuit component Personal computer Electronic engineering

Field Level View - that's a 20+20 Standoff on the right:

Computer Office equipment Personal computer Laptop Engineering

Note about plug direction: the pins are on the bottom so your plug should line up with the holes on the bottom:

Computer keyboard Finger Bicycle part Electronic engineering Engineering

I had a hard time removing the CD, so i just undid the 2 FFC to detach the screen. it made everything easier to do and flat surfaces to work on. this also allowed me to fish the 2 screen FFC's only through the outside holes.. probably not necessary but give the cable a bit more slack.

Automotive design Finger Audio equipment Circuit component Gadget

Like all typical car stereo metal, it is SHARP!... i while fishing the FFC's through, i keep scraping my fingernails. As a precaution i taped up the edge so it won't scrape/cut the FFCs:

Netbook Hood Automotive design Gadget Office equipment

Note I didn't need to fish through the 'inner casing":

Computer Netbook Electronic engineering Computer hardware Gadget

As with all DIY always encounter something new, so i hope this would help future installers with my board and problems.

Last Notes:
  • i just taped up the open mic and speaker wires 'just in case' of interference / noise.
  • i didn't need to install the mic. in the settings turn on 'use original mic' and it works fine.
  • aligning the bottom cd cover flap was tedious. I didnt' know what i did wrong but there's a certain 'fit' that need to happen but after 20 min of fidgeting i finally had it in the right place for perfect fit.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
@nsx88, thanks for the added information. I will perform this upgrade when my kit arrives.
Question, are you experiencing any “white noise” or Wi-Fi like noise artifacts when the volume is up relatively high ?
How do you like it’s operation so far ?
Cheers!

·
Registered
38 Posts
@nsx88, thanks for the added information. I will perform this upgrade when my kit arrives.
Question, are you experiencing any “white noise” or Wi-Fi like noise artifacts when the volume is up relatively high ?
How do you like it’s operation so far ?
Cheers!
observations so far (i'm not an audio /electronics guy by any means):

1) it says turn on wifi and bluetooth on the phone. then in the module menu go to "wifi carplay settings" - and then connect using bluetooth and pair the phone.

[what i don't understand here is why it's in the "WIFI" menu, but connecting using "Bluetooth". it also has a 'Bluetooth" menu, but i can't turn it on/off in that menu and nothing is selectable on that screen.]

in any case, i'm connected via bluetooth to the module as far as i understand ( my phone shows its connected via BT and not via WIFI) and is using the AUX input to the pcm.

- i've taken a couple trips, and i've had the carplay disconnect a couple times this weekend. the first time it didnt' reconnect itself. the second time it happened it reconnected after a minute.

- also, there has been one or two times where there was lag. screen lag and sometimes a couple seconds where it's freezing/ pausing when i'm just simply switching apps etc.

- there has also been multiple times were there's interruption.. like someone's walking away and getting too far with the phone and about to disconnect. even though i'm just driving as normal and the phone is in the cupholder.

- in this default connection mode, i do not hear any white noise.

- one time, i used my phone and manually connected to the module via WIFI. in this mode, i couldn't hear the music play through the module but the carplay on and working. when i turned it up, there was noise/hissing.

that's all i have in terms of usage so far. i think it's working ok 80% of the time.
i also kinda smushed the thick rubber coating on one of the antennas while trying to put back the stereo... but i don't think i damaged anything.

maybe someone can explain/clarify the difference between wifi and bluetooth connection? 'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I purchased an Isudar CarPlay module when I though I had bricked my Ebilaen module. My Ebilaen module is now fine (just required a long power cycle)… so, I ended up with an extra module (could not cancel order on time).

Product Font Rectangle Circuit component Electronic component

Couch Rectangle Wood Packing materials Material property

The board version is 1.2 (latest one). Everything is new (wasn’t installed).

If anyone in the New England area is interested, I’ll give preference to these offers.

I paid $310 after currency conversion.

I’m willing to sell for $310 with local pickup preferable. But if anyone is interested in getting it, you just have to add shipping costs.

The advantage is that you won’t have to wait until this ships from China and you won’t have to wait a couple of weeks to receive it.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Working with @Don16, we were able to figure out how to improve the audio quality when using AUX and the CarPlay/Android Auto Isudar module for PCM3.1. Historically, it had been the main issue for this CP/AA module implementation. The AUX quality was simply not good enough, order of magnitude worst than when playing via AuxBT or wired iPod.

With the modifications we made, the audio from AUX is orders of magnitude better, resembling very closely the audio from iPod or AuxBT.

What we discovered through a lot of testing is that the culprit of the audio quality is not the Isudar (or Joye module for that matter), but the PCM Aux itself, which is a bad implementation from Porsche. To reduce the influence of the PCM Aux, what we did was reduce both the PCM Treble and Bass settings to -6 (the minimum). Obviously, this will cause the audio to lose tone/output at low and high frequencies. This is then compensated with the Isudar module DSP and its 16-band equalizer. It really does a great job at enhancing low and high frequencies without adding distortion,

I was able to tune the system basically using the Isudar 16-band equalizer, and the audio now coming from AUX in my system is nearly at par with AuxBT/iPod. Very hard to hear the difference.

This is how I started, after lowering treble and bass to -6 and adjusting 16-band EQ by ear (teal curve is the Harman reference curve, which is the standard for car audio tuning, and the red curve is my system response).

Automotive design Audio equipment Gas Electronic device Machine

Rectangle Slope Plot Line Font

This is how I ended up after tuning with the 16-band equalizer using my calibrated Umik microphone.

Audio equipment Gas Electronic device Technology Machine

Rectangle Slope Font Plot Parallel

The result was superb. Sound quality from AUX is order of magnitude better.

I'm not sure if I will use AUX for my normal commute. I will probably continue to use iPod or AuxBT. But now AUX is a real option when I have to use Waze for navigation.

The important thing about this experiment/test is that anyone with a Bose system can use AUX, reduce PCM Aux influence on audio by lowering treble and bass to -6, and then use the Isudar module to tune the system to your liking. The Isudar DSP and 16-band EQ really expand tuning capabilities of the OEM system. It is a good option vs the treble/bass option in the PCM.

241 - 260 of 268 Posts