Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a new kid on the block

£214.78 21%OFF | ISUDAR Carplay Module For Porsche/Panamera/Cayenne/Macan/Cayman/Boxster 911 718 PCM 3.1 Android Auto AI Box Camera Multimedia

Thoughts? Looks like the external box is not a requirement and it now has DSP and apparently improves on audio.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
There's a new kid on the block

£214.78 21%OFF | ISUDAR Carplay Module For Porsche/Panamera/Cayenne/Macan/Cayman/Boxster 911 718 PCM 3.1 Android Auto AI Box Camera Multimedia

Thoughts? Looks like the external box is not a requirement and it now has DSP and apparently improves on audio.

This actually sounds interesting. I need to do more research on it. If it still uses the AUX connection as the main source for audio, then is as worthless as the current generation. But if it integrates the USB connection somehow, bypassing it without processing the sound, but allowing apps like Waze to send audio through it, then that solves a lot of issues with current gen. I’m tempted to buy it to test it. If anything, it will allow me to get rid of all the cables and the external box…

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Check out the install video, no sign of an external box and the antennas (two of them connect directly to the board fitted inside PCM.

Assuming both the ISUDAR and EBILAEN modules are the same thing? They look the same. Which of the two companies had been more responsive answering questions?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Hi Santirx, do u use the factory usb plug to plug in your usb stick?

i want to do this upgrade. but i believe my usb plug doesn't work cuz something was spilt on it previously...
No. I used the USB input to the CarPlay module. I brought that connection to the Center Console, with a “factory-like” plug. If you see the video, I’m plugging the USB drive towards the front of the center console box, and the factory one is located towards the side.

Did you install the Ebilaen or Isudar CarPlay module?

·
Registered
38 Posts
No. I used the USB input to the CarPlay module. I brought that connection to the Center Console, with a “factory-like” plug. If you see the video, I’m plugging the USB drive towards the front of the center console box, and the factory one is located towards the side.

Did you install the Ebilaen or Isudar CarPlay module?
I have no modules installed. I just fell down this rabbit hole this week.
initially I contacted a guy on Facebook who does the updates to pcm. Then was Told the 3.1 he can’t do. But that update uses the USB for wired CarPlay so I’m SOL cuz mine malfunctioned.

after a weeks of trying to understand stumbled and finally ended up with this thread and look promising.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep.. you need either a Joye module or an Ebilaen/Isudar type module, which you need to install inside PCM in order to add CarPlay to PCM3.1. There is plenty of documented procedures on how to do this DIY.
Yes thanks. I guess my initial ask was just about the USB , if it used the car’s USB to do updates and wired CarPlay etc then I’m doomed.

glad to know that there is a USB do these upgrade units, and I can proceed.

so, u would recommend the latest one? Ebilaen?

·
Registered
8 Posts
... Now, for the review….
The Quirks (so far):

1. When in iPod mode and using CarPlay over WiFi, I lose the ability to control volume with the head unit volume knob. However, the steering wheel volume knob works well. Fortunately, this is not an issue, as I have both the steering wheel knob and the Helix Conductor to control volume. I think this is due to the fact that the Ebilaen module takes control of the head unit volume control for CarPlay and it wants to control CarPlay volume when you are actually with the iPod.
Hi - I just discovered this forum and thread. I was researching others' experiences with the iSudar/Ebilean solutions and that search led me here. Kudos to all of you who posted install videos and so many other helpful comments.

I was going to pull the trigger and purchase the board until I read the bit quoted above, about the volume control not working when using CarPlay over WiFi. Now, I'm not so sure. I'm concerned the board won't work for me because my car doesn't have a multi-function wheel with a volume control. It thus seems if I buy the board and connect with CarPlay over WiFi, I'll have no volume control. Obviously, that would be a non-starter for me.

It's hard to understand how a manufacturer could market a board that disabled something as basic as the head unit's volume control under any set of circumstances, so I'm wondering whether anyone has sorted this out yet? If not, has anyone installed the board in a car without a multi-function steering wheel and, if so, does the PCM's volume control work in that instance?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Hi - I just discovered this forum and thread. I was researching others' experiences with the iSudar/Ebilean solutions and that search led me here. Kudos to all of you who posted install videos and so many other helpful comments.

I was going to pull the trigger and purchase the board until I read the bit quoted above, about the volume control not working when using CarPlay over WiFi. Now, I'm not so sure. I'm concerned the board won't work for me because my car doesn't have a multi-function wheel with a volume control. It thus seems if I buy the board and connect with CarPlay over WiFi, I'll have no volume control. Obviously, that would be a non-starter for me.

It's hard to understand how a manufacturer could market a board that disabled something as basic as the head unit's volume control under any set of circumstances, so I'm wondering whether anyone has sorted this out yet? If not, has anyone installed the board in a car without a multi-function steering wheel and, if so, does the PCM's volume control work in that instance?

Many thanks.
Hi, I think you may have misunderstood the actual issue. When you connect you phone through WIFI CarPlay and select AUX input, you have volume control through PCM volume control.

I’m using this slightly different, where I connect via CarPlay WIFI, but select iPod as an input (not AUX). That’s when I lose volume control through PCM which is what I was referring in my post above.

The reason this happens is because when in CarPlay, this board takes over volume control through AUX. The preference would be for the board to relinquish volume control to the PCM, that way both steering and PCM volume controls would be in sync. With this new module, the steering wheel and PCM volume controls get disconnected from each other when in CarPlay.

This module should work well in your application/configuration, if you select AUX as your input.

There is someone (coder) in Rennlist who just installed the board (he had produced firmware updates for Joye successfully). He will most likely produce a firmware update for this resolving all these quirks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi, I think you may have misunderstood the actual issue. When you connect you phone through WIFI CarPlay and select AUX input, you have volume control through PCM volume control.
I’m using this slightly different, where I connect via CarPlay WIFI, but select iPod as an input (not AUX). That’s when I lose volume control through PCM which is what I was referring in my post above.
And why do you do this Santirx? i did read through the entire thread multiple times but didn't really follow.
i have the same hesitation as LSR, as i have to upgrade it for the wife mainly and hope everything willl work fine, i personally don't care much for minor quirks.

also, i notice ISUDAR is a much larger company (225K followers) as opposed to Ebliaen (25K followers). is there a reason you went with ebilean? I'm usually more inclined to go with the well established company.. if there wasn't anything that swayed u other than price, i'm willing to try the isudar and report findings (although not that technically inclined)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
And why do you do this Santirx? i did read through the entire thread multiple times but didn't really follow.
i have the same hesitation as LSR, as i have to upgrade it for the wife mainly and hope everything willl work fine, i personally don't care much for minor quirks.

also, i notice ISUDAR is a much larger company (225K followers) as opposed to Ebliaen (25K followers). is there a reason you went with ebilean? I'm usually more inclined to go with the well established company.. if there wasn't anything that swayed u other than price, i'm willing to try the isudar and report findings (although not that technically inclined)
I do this because the audio quality is better through iPod input. The AUX input audio quality is much inferior. Now, if you don’t care about audio quality (or you have the Bose system in your car) then selecting AUX is OK.

I did a massive audio upgrade in my car (speakers, subwoofer, amplifier, all changed), and input quality is of concern.

I also want CarPlay capability because I use Waze, it is my preferred GPS map app. That’s really all I need CarPlay for while driving.

Hence, this is a compromise. I display CarPlay wireless through WIFI CarPlay, but connect my device to the PCM USB input (selecting iPod). I retain audio quality because audio goes directly through PCM bypassing the board, but can still see Waze and CarPlay in my screen.

Now, Ebilaen/Isudar (they are both the same thing and I think they just rebrand the module…. That’s what I can surmise from a different thread going on at Rennlist in conversations with a software architect that have done the Joye firmware update) has marginally better audio quality through AUX than the Joye module, but the problem is that the PCM AUX input is inherently inferior, no matter what you do.

I hope someone finds a way to change the input of this board to work with digital input, without using the native DAC (digital to analog converter) in the AUX input. Through the iPod input you have direct digital signal all the way to the amplifier.

What I can say about Ebilaen is that I asked for the latest firmware (knowing that is already out and I already applied it) and they stated that they didn’t have it yet. I got the firmware from that software architect in Rennlist, who got it probably from Isudar. So, you might want to go with Isudar.

I hope this makes sense…

·
Registered
8 Posts

The reason this happens is because when in CarPlay, this board takes over volume control through AUX. The preference would be for the board to relinquish volume control to the PCM, that way both steering and PCM volume controls would be in sync. With this new module, the steering wheel and PCM volume controls get disconnected from each other when in CarPlay.

This module should work well in your application/configuration, if you select AUX as your input.

There is someone (coder) in Rennlist who just installed the board (he had produced firmware updates for Joye successfully). He will most likely produce a firmware update for this resolving all these quirks.
Aha! Thanks for the clarification. I went back and reread this thread and also at least part of the thread in the Rennlist forum with Konkab's posts. Having done so, I believe I now understand the problem you guys are facing.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you want to switch to the iPod input rather than AUX because the iSudar/Ebilaen board (and probably other solutions, like the JoyeAuto) outputs an analog audio signal to the PCM's analog AUX input even though CarPlay and AA are sending the audio digitally over WiFi. That's why the Ebilaen/iSudar instructions say to set the PCM to AUX before switching over to CarPlay or AA. And somewhere along the line - perhaps because of the iSudar/Ebilaen board's audio DAC or the PCM's audio ADC that sends digital audio via the fiber lines to the Bose or whatever amplifiers (or both) - there is a significant loss of audio quality. That's what you're trying to avoid by switching to the digital iPod input. Is this right?

If I'm now understanding the issue, it seems all the CarPlay/AA add-on solutions that instruct users to switch to AUX likely suffer from the same audio degradation problem. That's disconcerting, because you'd think if it was reasonably possible to feed a digital audio signal to the PCM from an add-on CarPlay/AA module someone would have done it already.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Any further feedback on aux BT audio via OEM and carplay via module? Tired of wasting my burmester speakers on chitty joyauto aux.
No issues with AUX BT so far with Ebilaen/Isudar module. It seems to work very well with no interference. I have left my AUX BT on for more than a week now and no issues. I don’t intend to turn it off and I’m actually leaving it as an option.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No issues with AUX BT so far with Ebilaen/Isudar module. It seems to work very well with no interference. I have left my AUX BT on for more than a week now and no issues. I don’t intend to turn it off and I’m actually leaving it as an option.
Question - did you get interference/hissing in standard form using intended Aux? I'm trying to remember if I always had interference/hissing prior to modifying cable to route audio via aux to usb adaptor.

I know factory AUX setup (when not using CP module aux) there is zero interference/hissing. But I can't for the life of me remember if I had the issue before I messed with wiring.

I'm starting to think the solution is to disconnect the ground wire going to the CP module board, only because the interference/hissing starts when car is started and changes pitch with AC fans switching on.

·
Banned
1,337 Posts
Thanks. Pulling the trigger then. Tired of that joyauto sound quality.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quick question- I have a NetworkWWS adapter which has decent sound quality (for those of you with buzzing, make sure you don't have a loop in your wiring around anything that carries power as this will cause alternator whine) but no support of track skip/advance in either AA or Carplay. I was wondering if this single-board iSudar setup supports the PCM buttons on the faceplate for controlling audio sources via Carplay/AA. I know Joyeauto does. Also, for those of you on Android, I have an AAWireless adapter that plugs into the USB port, and one feature it has is 'BT audio sink' which reroutes audio from Android Auto to A2DP Bluetooth audio. In its current state it does not pass along Google Assistant or Maps voice prompts but they say they'll look into it. I will keep people posted on progress if that is of interest. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I successfully installed the ISUDAR system in my '16 Turbo yesterday. I had to make a trip to the hardware store since the included standoffs didn't leave enough clearance for my Sirius module but that was the only surprise.

I'll agree that audio quality is much better when using AUX BT, but then you lose Siri and navigation audio so I'll probably just stick with AUX for the most part.

Thanks to everybody in this thread for the information. @Santirx maybe I missed it but where did you mount your microphone? I tried getting into the overhead console but was afraid of breaking something so I just stashed the mic at the top of the A pillar for the moment.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I successfully installed the ISUDAR system in my '16 Turbo yesterday. I had to make a trip to the hardware store since the included standoffs didn't leave enough clearance for my Sirius module but that was the only surprise.

I'll agree that audio quality is much better when using AUX BT, but then you lose Siri and navigation audio so I'll probably just stick with AUX for the most part.

Thanks to everybody in this thread for the information. @Santirx maybe I missed it but where did you mount your microphone? I tried getting into the overhead console but was afraid of breaking something so I just stashed the mic at the top of the A pillar for the moment.
I just put it on the trim under the steering wheel column. Used double sided tape.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts