Porsche Macan Forum banner

CarPlay AI Box -- Add Wireless CarPlay/Android Auto, YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Video etc

62K views 257 replies 55 participants last post by  Ryan Bole 
#1 ·
Not sure if folks have used this product yet, but I searched and did not see any hits. Got the Carlinkit 2.0 wireless Apple CarPlay adapter for my 2017 Macan today and I have to say it works amazingly. Completely plug and play -- it doesn't require any modification of the head unit or taking apart the car or anything. You just plug it into your USB port, it recognizes Apple CarPlay and then connects via bluetooth to your phone. It's got a very slight lag (hardly noticeable, but definitely a tiny lag vs. having it wired -- like when you run your monitor with a slightly lower than normal refresh rate and get some minor ghosting) and it takes about 30 seconds to boot up, but otherwise works great.

I bought it after reading this article (Review: This adapter turns standard CarPlay into Wireless CarPlay, and somehow it actually works - 9to5Mac) and was super skeptical, but it seems like a terrific product. Note: The article references a volume bug with navigation, but there seems to be a firmware update that fixes it -- or at least the notes to it say it does (I just loaded the update -- which is also very easy and happens wirelessly via your iPhone). Will post my longer term impressions after using this more this week.

#181 ·
I don't have a clear answer, but there are a few possibilities. Streaming over bluetooth versus over a cable will likely be different, I think I read somewhere that the codec and\or throughput is not the same. There's also the possibility of an EQ or other sound processing being used on your phone, even if you didn't intend to. My LG G8 has native sound processing options in its own settings. Then there are also the settings within Spotify regarding audio quality, which may or may not match between your phone and the CUSP device. @jmoney may know more.

#183 ·
In both scenarios I'm using bluetooth for spotify. Spotify sound quality is set to very high on downloads. I love my Macan and the only disappointment for me is the sound quality of the Bose system. I was a bit surprised when I got Android Auto working and Spotify seems to sound better, especially for mid range. I'm not an audiophile so not sure if the sound improvement I heard coming from CUSP is for real or I'm just too excited to have Android Auto working on this car. 😊
I will definitely check out Wavelet and see what else I can do on the box. Thanks.

#184 ·
Update: I placed an order for MMB a few days ago, I compared it with carlinkit 3.0, and I found that the MMB function is more valuable to me.
My kid is always noisy when I am driving. However, if he could sit on the child's safety seat and watch cartoons, then he can be quiet, it has the “Airplay” function, which means that there is no need to be close Looking at the phone, I knew it was too damaging to his eyesight.
I think I will update soon.

#185 ·
Just a heads up. The mods merged multiple threads into the CarPlay AI Box one. The first 24 posts are for devices that just provide CarPlay. The AI Box discussion starts at #25:

#186 ·
I got a carlinkit 4.0 for my wireless carplay and wireless Android auto. $99 seems like a fair price.

#188 ·
Have you had a chance to try this yet?

I used the CUSP for a month or so and it was decent although maybe 20% of the time it'd have issues at startup. Stopped using it for a bit and tried again and it is much laggier with more issues than before. Basically unusable. I emailed support about a possible firmware update but haven't heard anything yet.

Given how fine just using BT has been, I wonder if it's even worth the hassle anymore although for $100, that's not too bad since the CUSP was 200

#190 ·
I've developed a new sound issue.. where any audio played, regardless of app.. will sound like it's skipping... and the song sounds like it's being sped up. It happens several times a week. I have to reboot for it to resolve itself.

I wonder if some of the bugs in general are because this thing is running Android 9, which is getting a bit old at this point. The kickstarter box mentioned up above claims to run Android 11, maybe that helps.

#191 · (Edited)
I had a sound issue as well (probably from a setting I changed or a program I installed). Here's a link to the latest update they sent me from February: CUSP_Update.zip

You need to copy the update.zip file to a blank SD card and insert into the CUSP box. Then select yes for the update, unit will update. After, remove the SD card, delete the update.zip and copy the sudingconfig file to the SD, put it back in the Cusp Box. Choose OK to import and it should restart.

If the update doesnt fix it then might have to perform a factory reset / apply the update again (not sure if the factory reset gets rid of the latest update).

edit -- the update.zip file is within the CUSP_Update.zip. Only the top file needs copied to the SD card.

Azure Rectangle Material property Font Screenshot

#193 ·
I tried both Carlinkit and CUSP, both gave me intermittent bluetooth issues. Update did not fix the issue. Finally gave up after a couple weeks. Recently found Ottocast on Amazon with only the Android Auto function and it has worked well so far. I have no need to watch Netflix or use other app so it's perfect for me. Quick boot up time and no intermittent bluetooth issue. And it's only $119, with digital coupon.

#196 ·
I used the flash kit from DMP to activate Carplay on my 2017 Macan. Took about 15 minutes with my laptop, factory Carplay enabled remotely. To activate Siri, I just long press on the home button in CP since I don't have the voice control stalk.
I also added the wireless Carplay adapter, which works perfectly!
Let me know if questions, a great alternative to $1,000+ at the dealer!

Automotive lighting Gas Electrical wiring Cable Trunk

Car Plant Automotive design Vehicle Personal luxury car

#197 ·
I recently bought a used Macan. In my case a 2014 Turbo.

Like many I’ve been pondering a Carplay retrofit.

Whilst investigating the various retrofits and their cost, I thought I may as well see if I really needed Carplay.

So I bought one of the portable units you can get on Amazon for $300.

They plug into your Aux USB or FM and are about the size of a large phone.

To my surprise it works brilliantly. Easy setup. Easy wireless. Turns on automatically when I enter the car.

The tricky part is working out where to mount the unit and how. And hiding the cables.

I have mine on top of the dash and if it continues to work out will get the cables threaded through the centre vent.

Currently, however, instead of spending $2k on a retrofit that removes functionality, I have Carplay with everything else stock, which I can easily remove.

Highly recommended

#206 ·
No problem. Thanks for sharing.

I actually finally got my CUSP to work without issues after re-doing the firmware update.

One question though is is there a way to make sure the CUSP is disabled/off when I exit my car?
I think I saw it mentioned before in this thread but it will sometimes randomly reconnect with my phone when I'm home which gets annoying.
I have a bunch of automations/Bixby routines set up on my phone to disconnect both Wi-Fi (Android_APXXX or whatever the hotspot is called) and BT (CUSP) when I get home and then connect to my home's Wi-Fi but every so often I'll find my phone connected to the CUSP (maybe when my home Wi-Fi signal drops and it quickly connects to the CUSP).
This will also happen sometimes at the gym if I park too close to the entrance lol.

#207 ·
The Macan keeps power to the box for a while. You can either lock the car (which should shut everything down in a couple of minutes) or unplug it. Can also turn off Bluetooth on your phone to prevent reconnection. You might be able to play with the auto connect settings on the box too if you don’t use CarPlay/Android auto.

#208 ·
Locking my car unfortunately doesn't seem to work. Unplugging it every time seems like a hassle although in my case that looks like that's the only foolproof option since I only use it for Bluetooth / Android Auto.

And just so I'm clear, it's supposed to also be connected to mobile hotspot (along with BT) when using Android Auto, correct?

#210 ·
Hello folks I'm pretty new here.and need some advice. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Looking to connect my IPhone with carplay in my macan. Dealer wants over 1k for a firmware key. Is there an alternative or do I have to just suck it up?
Thanks

#211 ·
Hello folks I'm pretty new here.and need some advice. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Looking to connect my IPhone with carplay in my macan. Dealer wants over 1k for a firmware key. Is there an alternative or do I have to just suck it up?
Thanks
What year Macan? Simaservis1108 or Innovativesoft can activate It for 2017/2018 ones. See this thread:Apple CarPlay Activation 2017/2018 Models

The AI box discussed in this thread just connects to cars already with CarPlay / allows you to use android apps like YouTube, Netflix, prime video etc.

#212 ·
Hi guys,

How do you update the firmware? I use the Cusp box for AA only in my 2020 Macan and it was working great and then I made the mistake of trying to use the rest of the features of the box. Now I can't get it to keep a connection to the box for AA. It disconnects and the speedplay app goes back to the waiting screen. It seems to struggle to keep the hotspot on. I have done a factory reset of the box, uninstalled the speedplay app and reinstalled with no success. When the box first connects to AA is says gps signal lost and then the music plays intermittently. Also do you guys log into your Google account on the box? When I did and updated apps in the play store it slowed everything down to the point of being useless after the updates. I was using my phone's hotspot to tether to the box.

I loved the box when it was working. Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated!

#213 ·
Hi guys,

How do you update the firmware? I use the Cusp box for AA only in my 2020 Macan and it was working great and then I made the mistake of trying to use the rest of the features of the box. Now I can't get it to keep a connection to the box for AA. It disconnects and the speedplay app goes back to the waiting screen. It seems to struggle to keep the hotspot on. I have done a factory reset of the box, uninstalled the speedplay app and reinstalled with no success. When the box first connects to AA is says gps signal lost and then the music plays intermittently. Also do you guys log into your Google account on the box? When I did and updated apps in the play store it slowed everything down to the point of being useless after the updates. I was using my phone's hotspot to tether to the box.

I loved the box when it was working. Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated!
I’ve been getting them to give me the update links via WhatsApp. Can you try contacting them with WhatsApp on +86 135 9041 6436 ?
The links only last for a few days and then they get taken down. Let me know if you have issues I have the last update file but travelling right now.

#217 ·
I agree. It might be a newer step. In the zipped file I downloaded from their cusp link, there were two MP4 videos showing how to do the update and the bootanimation along with a Word file with instructions. Here is a screen shot with the steps from the Word file. After I updated the cusp and went to delete the update file, there was a log7 file that was created as part of the update. I deleted that file along with the update file before flashing the bootanimation and sudingConfig files. Wasn't sure I was supposed to delete the log7 file.. Anyway, it's working now. Let's see how long it lasts. Also, it updated to Android 12.

Attachments

#219 ·
That could be the case. Not sure how to tell. Also, your observation of the system being a bit faster was my experience too.

General question, are you guys signing into your google account on the cusp and using the playstore to download apps like Amazon video? I am toying with the idea of having carplay modified by one of the programmers on this site to whole screen. Hoping the Cusp would then be whole screen too. Not sure how it would affect AA though which is what I mostly use. Just thought the whole screen would be cool for passengers on road trips watching movies.

#226 · (Edited)
In both scenarios I'm using bluetooth for spotify mod apk. Spotify sound quality is set to very high on downloads. I love my Macan and the only disappointment for me is the sound quality of the Bose system. I was a bit surprised when I got Android Auto working and Spotify seems to sound better, especially for mid range. I'm not an audiophile so not sure if the sound improvement I heard coming from CUSP is for real or I'm just too excited to have Android Auto working on this car. 😊

#227 ·
In both scenarios I'm using bluetooth for spotify. Spotify sound quality is set to very high on downloads. I love my Macan and the only disappointment for me is the sound quality of the Bose system. I was a bit surprised when I got Android Auto working and Spotify seems to sound better, especially for mid range. I'm not an audiophile so not sure if the sound improvement I heard coming from CUSP is for real or I'm just too excited to have Android Auto working on this car. 😊
As I understand it, audio is not streamed over bluetooth when using Android Auto. This likely helps explain the difference you are hearing.

#228 ·
Just thought I'd provide an update on my experience, I continued to have issues with music randomly playing back at a slightly accelerated speed even after running the firmware update. I also started getting frustrated with the interface being less than on the road friendly when using Android. I'd also switched to Tidal recently, and the Tidal implementation on whatever "real" version of Android the box runs is extremely antiquated. There is no way to select playlists or music, the only way I was able to sort of work around this was to run waze, and connect it with Tidal, which then gave me some rudimentary access.

All in all the old man in me got tired of the bugs.

I took the plunge and worked with InnovativeSoft on implementing whole screen Android Auto. I have to say... everything is much smoother now, navigating around is much smoother and quicker than the AI box running full Android. The implementation of AA feels like how it should and I haven't experienced any bugs or hiccups.

Attachments

#232 ·
so if i am reading this thread correctly, the carlinkit 4.0 does provide android auto support for the gen 2 macans? i'm a new owner of a 2019 which does support carplay, but being an avid android user, dont wanna throw in the towel quiet yet and switch over to the dark side! i will say for the most part my need for android auto around town is quite limited, so i'd be ok with the occasional glitch here and there. thanks in advance for the knowledge!! 🙏

#234 ·
I am using this box on my 2021 with my Samsung S21 and its been working flawlessly to deliver Android Auto through the factory Carplay-only interface. Its likely very similar to the Carlinkit and various other brands that rename the same box.