Porsche Macan Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Hey @jmoney. After playing with the Mini for a few days now, think I have the hang of it. I do find that the Mini OS is much more robust and has more deliverables than AA. The way it is now, AA boots up automatically after the Mini OS starts, connects with my phone, and opens up to the last application it was on. Not sure I know what I did to have it auto start, but I'd rather have Apple Pie auto start in the Mini OS and not start AA. Have any idea how to do that? Did not see anything in AA settings. As always, thanks. .
If you go into the main settings app there should be something called “Applepie Settings” (mine is CUSP Settings). Look for an option called Boot App. If it’s set to BT Phone then that would auto start the connection to Android Auto / CarPlay. Set that to none. There is also the BT phone app that pairs the phone that could be set to auto — open that and uncheck the auto connect option.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I bought something similar(T-box) on carlinkitcarplay, but I bought mine for the main reason to watch Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, and also play Xbox via Gamepass all on my lunch breaks, all on the SC screen.
Yeah these are great little boxes for watching videos in the car. Hardware is the same for all of them too. The electronics just get rebadged in a different box. I just installed a 400GB microSD card in mine and loaded with a bunch of TV shows.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah these are great little boxes for watching videos in the car. Hardware is the same for all of them too. The electronics just get rebadged in a different box. I just installed a 400GB microSD card in mine and loaded with a bunch of TV shows.
With the engine off, how long can a device like this keep running? I mean, surely you won't watch TV shows while driving or while idling for a long time? Right?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
With the engine off, how long can a device like this keep running? I mean, surely you won't watch TV shows while driving or while idling for a long time? Right?
Not watching anything long. But most sitcoms (eg Seinfeld) are about 20 minutes without the commercials. Prefer to drink my morning coffee in the car rather than sit in Starbucks with all the covid floating around these days. These are also great if you’re stuck in traffic.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've been using the CUSP unit now for the last couple of days that 'jmoney' linked in the first post and it's remarkable how great of a device it is. Pair it up with your phone's bluetooth and tether your phone's internet connection through the CUSP unit's wifi and everything else is a breeze. I had several Spotify playlists download to the unit directly during my 10 minute commute this morning and Netflix, Waze, Chrome, Youtube, etc... all work great as well. The interface is very intuitive, snappy and really transforms the tech in the vehicle. Word of caution to those who get distracted easily while driving - it's VERY easy to find yourself fidgeting with the screen now, so I had to remind myself a few times to leave it alone and wait until I got to my destination to test out more of the functionality.

I love getting new vehicles every 2-3 years as the tech upgrades are usually substantial. The current vehicle shortage and market pricing has led me to hang onto the Macan longer than normal and this simple upgrade has really renewed my interest in the vehicle as crazy as that sounds. For example, when shopping for my pre-owned Cayman years ago one of my "must haves" in addition to all the performance options was navigation. Fast forward 6 years and now I can't even imagine using the NAV in my Cayman and even the look of the map on the screen makes the car look very dated IMHO. The Spotify and Waze interfaces on the CUSP unit makes the vehicle feel "new again" and for $200 I think it's well worth the price.

Thanks again 'jmoney' for bringing this device to my attention as there's no way I would've pulled the trigger otherwise. Maybe you're a rep for the company for all I know. :) If you're not, you should be. (y)

·
Registered
2019 Macan S
223 Posts
Has anyone with a 2019+ tried this yet? I've ordered one but it won't be in here till next week and I'm curious to get ahead of the game. I think my initial plan will be to run it in standalone AA and have it connect to the vehicle hotspot. Though there seems to be a bug with the hotspot where it will have itself turned off when I get in the vehicle so it could end up being a pain.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I've been using the CUSP unit now for the last couple of days that 'jmoney' linked in the first post and it's remarkable how great of a device it is. Pair it up with your phone's bluetooth and tether your phone's internet connection through the CUSP unit's wifi and everything else is a breeze. I had several Spotify playlists download to the unit directly during my 10 minute commute this morning and Netflix, Waze, Chrome, Youtube, etc... all work great as well. The interface is very intuitive, snappy and really transforms the tech in the vehicle. Word of caution to those who get distracted easily while driving - it's VERY easy to find yourself fidgeting with the screen now, so I had to remind myself a few times to leave it alone and wait until I got to my destination to test out more of the functionality.

I love getting new vehicles every 2-3 years as the tech upgrades are usually substantial. The current vehicle shortage and market pricing has led me to hang onto the Macan longer than normal and this simple upgrade has really renewed my interest in the vehicle as crazy as that sounds. For example, when shopping for my pre-owned Cayman years ago one of my "must haves" in addition to all the performance options was navigation. Fast forward 6 years and now I can't even imagine using the NAV in my Cayman and even the look of the map on the screen makes the car look very dated IMHO. The Spotify and Waze interfaces on the CUSP unit makes the vehicle feel "new again" and for $200 I think it's well worth the price.

Thanks again 'jmoney' for bringing this device to my attention as there's no way I would've pulled the trigger otherwise. Maybe you're a rep for the company for all I know. :) If you're not, you should be. (y)
Glad it worked out for you. Not a rep but just love upgrading my cars to newer tech (Porsche is so backwards). My 2018 maps are outdated as well and thought about paying the $200 for Porsche Connect to upgrade them...but this is much better. Can have all the Android mapping apps now -- mostly use Waze/Google but Here maps allows offline GPS too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Has anyone with a 2019+ tried this yet? I've ordered one but it won't be in here till next week and I'm curious to get ahead of the game. I think my initial plan will be to run it in standalone AA and have it connect to the vehicle hotspot. Though there seems to be a bug with the hotspot where it will have itself turned off when I get in the vehicle so it could end up being a pain.
What do you use the hotspot normally in the car for? Mine came with a few months trial but I rarely used it. You could also use the hotspot in your phone to automatically turn on / connect to the unit or put the SIM in the AI box. @Princeton has a 2021 which has the same screen. 2019 Won't use up the entire screen since carplay is limited to about 2/3. It should look similar to below

Car Vehicle Automotive navigation system Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Mostly my kids have used it on road trips...
The AI Box does have a hotspot option. So you have the option of putting the SIM in that and sharing its connection. It’s full Android so you can do pretty much what your phone can.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The AI Box does have a hotspot option. So you have the option of putting the SIM in that and sharing its connection. It’s full Android so you can do pretty much what your phone can.
If I use an app like Tasker to automatically turn on my phone hotspot, will the Mini recognize there is a hotspot open and automatically connect or do I have to manually turn it on within the OS Settings? Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Macan S
223 Posts
So the unit arrived earlier than expected. For now I'm keeping the implementation simple, just focusing on the standalone Android functionality. So far I've only noticed two bugs, both of which seemed to resolve themselves... hopefully they don't return.

First bug was the video in Youtube was not displaying properly, the top 3rd of the video was being cut off. That seemed to fix itself.

Second bug was that, while playing music through Spotify, I used Google Assistant and told it to navigate to xyz location, it did so, but then totally reduced the audio quality of Spotify to where it sounded like I was listening to music over a phone call, like hold music quality. That seemed to resolve itself when google maps gave me the first audio instruction for where to drive.

Hopefully those are just hiccups that don't re-occur. Otherwise the interface seems pretty snappy, I'm considering trying to load a different Android Launcher like Action Launcher so I can do more with the appearance and etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
If I use an app like Tasker to automatically turn on my phone hotspot, will the Mini recognize there is a hotspot open and automatically connect or do I have to manually turn it on within the OS Settings? Thanks.
Yes, you can set it to turn on wifi automatically in the Wi-Fi Preferences. When I get in my car it automatically connects to my home network. When I use to have an android phone / headunit in the BMW, I used an app called hotspot starter ( Hot Spot Starter - Apps on Google Play ) that would turn on the hotspot when it detected my car's bluetooth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So the unit arrived earlier than expected. For now I'm keeping the implementation simple, just focusing on the standalone Android functionality. So far I've only noticed two bugs, both of which seemed to resolve themselves... hopefully they don't return.

First bug was the video in Youtube was not displaying properly, the top 3rd of the video was being cut off. That seemed to fix itself.

Second bug was that, while playing music through Spotify, I used Google Assistant and told it to navigate to xyz location, it did so, but then totally reduced the audio quality of Spotify to where it sounded like I was listening to music over a phone call, like hold music quality. That seemed to resolve itself when google maps gave me the first audio instruction for where to drive.

Hopefully those are just hiccups that don't re-occur. Otherwise the interface seems pretty snappy, I'm considering trying to load a different Android Launcher like Action Launcher so I can do more with the appearance and etc.

It really is a nice little system. Lots of options. Pretty happy with it so far.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·

Think it's an android bug with Google Maps / Assistant. Waze doesn't seem to have the issue. Assistant uses a lower quality audio channel. I use Carplay quite a lot and haven't noticed any audio problems, so you might have better audio stability with Android Auto.

I'm using Youtube Vanced instead of the default youtube app -- it disables any ads which can be annoying. Other thing to do is disable the picture in picture of the youtube app. Seems to randomly go to PIP on me sometimes.

For launcher, I use AGAMA (gives it a simple car launcher interface / easy access to important apps), but there are others as well like Car Launcher Pro.
Speedometer Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant Car

·
Registered
2019 Macan S
223 Posts
Thinking about the other audio implications and possible opportunities here. I have Burmester but the options for adjusting the sound are limited. I'd been using audio mostly via bluetooth from my phone, with an eq on the phone. Seems like I could run some audiosoftware to figure out what the audio curve is doing for the burmester, and then built out eq profiles from that.

Does the Porsche head unit use it's own dac with this box? or does the box use it's own dac and pass the audio along?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Thinking about the other audio implications and possible opportunities here. I have Burmester but the options for adjusting the sound are limited. I'd been using audio mostly via bluetooth from my phone, with an eq on the phone. Seems like I could run some audiosoftware to figure out what the audio curve is doing for the burmester, and then built out eq profiles from that.

Does the Porsche head unit use it's own dac with this box? or does the box use it's own dac and pass the audio along?
Believe the box uses it's own DAC since you can adjust the audio output with the Spotify / Prime Music equalizers. Not sure how deep you can go since it's not rooted -- don't think that Viper4Android can be used.

If there was root then you might be able to enable the high-performance mode on the DAC:

41 - 60 of 66 Posts