Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just purchased an Android Carplay AI Box off Amazon that converts the Macan's carplay connection into wireless carplay/android auto plus allows nearly any Android app to be used. Simple little box with 8-Core, 4GB Ram, 64GB storage + micro SD /SIM Ports. Built in WIFI also allows you to tether to your phone's hotspot to use Youtube, Netflix, Amazon Video etc if you don't want to add a SIM card.

Not sure if I can post the link but here goes. It's made by CUSP but there are other boxes out there as well -- applepie mini, KSPIV etc. Cost is about $180.

Takes about 30 seconds to boot up and is actually pretty quick. I've played 1080p videos through Plex even though the Macan only has an 800x480 resolution. Sound quality is good and haven't seen any audio / video lag. MicroSD card needs to be exfat or fat32.

Here's a video of someone that got a similar box for his Taycan: Carplay ApplePie Mini Android Box

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
So let me see if I understand this correctly. You have to have a CarPlay enabled car. You plug in this box and it makes it WIRELESS CarPlay?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So let me see if I understand this correctly. You have to have a CarPlay enabled car. You plug in this box and it makes it WIRELESS CarPlay?
Yes, it will make it wireless CarPlay but will also allow wireless Android Auto and allow you to run most android apps on the Google Play store — Netflix, Prime Video, Plex, HBO Max, Xfinity, YouTube etc. Even games but the hardware may limit some.

Might also be a good upgrade for those with Android phones who want Android Auto. No need to modify the car since the unit is plug and play. You just plug it into the USB port, let it load & auto configure once for the car, it will then reboot and everything works. I haven’t noticed any issues with CarPlay and I’m guessing Android Auto experience would be similar.

·
Registered
2021 Macan S
82 Posts
Very interesting to see this post...

I didnt buy the Android Carplay AI Box from Amazon yet.

I was interested in this option to add Android Auto to my 2021 Macan S ( I am not an Apple user and have a Samsung S21 phone), however when I went to the Google store to add in Android Auto app back on my phone it wont open the app. I may need to contact Verizon (my cell phone provider) on why this app says its installed on my phone but yet wont open?

·
Registered
2017 Macan GTS
310 Posts
Verrry interesting.

So this is plug-and-play? Does the "Box" run warm/hot to the touch after a while?

·
Registered
2019 Macan S
232 Posts
I'm tempted to try this for android auto, but have a feeling it will be more of a pain than it's worth, after reading about bootup times and potential audio-call quality issues. Really wish Porsche would provide an update to the PCM to add AA if even at cost.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Very interesting to see this post...

I didnt buy the Android Carplay AI Box from Amazon yet.

I was interested in this option to add Android Auto to my 2021 Macan S ( I am not an Apple user and have a Samsung S21 phone), however when I went to the Google store to add in Android Auto app back on my phone it wont open the app. I may need to contact Verizon (my cell phone provider) on why this app says its installed on my phone but yet wont open?
I’m not an Android phone user anymore but thought I read you need Android 11 for it ? I see that some are having problems with Android auto on that phone: Android Auto bug is bad news for Samsung Galaxy S21 owners

One thing to remember is that this box is Android and has a built in GPS. It has Waze and Google Maps and you can connect it to your phones hotspot for data connection. When I use to use Android I even had an app called hotspot starter that would start the hotspot connection when I entered the car/connected to the cars Bluetooth. I have an android headunit installed in a bmw that I use similarly. The android system connects with its own GPS and uses Waze with my phones data connection. The android apps actually have more features than the carplay / android auto ones.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Verrry interesting.

So this is plug-and-play? Does the "Box" run warm/hot to the touch after a while?
Plug and play -- you turn it on once, it configures for the Macan, reboots and in a couple of minutes is configured for the car. Full screen / no issues using it. I haven't noticed any warmth from it and keep it in the console's phone holder.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm tempted to try this for android auto, but have a feeling it will be more of a pain than it's worth, after reading about bootup times and potential audio-call quality issues. Really wish Porsche would provide an update to the PCM to add AA if even at cost.
The Macan's USB port is activated as soon as you open the car door which starts up the unit. Bootup time seems to be about the same as normal Carplay startup time, with total taking about 25-30 seconds from when you open the car door. Haven't seen any audio-call issues but I use carplay. The good thing about buying from Amazon is that they offer free returns

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just purchased an Android Carplay AI Box off Amazon that converts the Macan's carplay connection into wireless carplay/android auto plus allows nearly any Android app to be used. Simple little box with 8-Core, 4GB Ram, 64GB storage + micro SD /SIM Ports. Built in WIFI also allows you to tether to your phone's hotspot to use Youtube, Netflix, Amazon Video etc if you don't want to add a SIM card.

Not sure if I can post the link but here goes. It's made by CUSP but there are other boxes out there as well -- applepie mini, KSPIV etc. Cost is about $180.

Takes about 30 seconds to boot up and is actually pretty quick. I've played 1080p videos through Plex even though the Macan only has an 800x480 resolution. Sound quality is good and haven't seen any audio / video lag. MicroSD card needs to be exfat or fat32.

Here's a video of someone that got a similar box for his Taycan: Carplay ApplePie Mini Android Box
I bought something similar, ApplePie, but cannot seem to get it to work. I wonder what I am doing wrong. Plugged it in, BT paired it, but I get no "carplay" icons. Notification on my phone says it is looking for Android Auto.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought something similar, ApplePie, but cannot seem to get it to work. I wonder what I am doing wrong. Plugged it in, BT paired it, but I get no "carplay" icons. Notification on my phone says it is looking for Android Auto.
What year Macan and have you used carplay on it before? I think you may need the 2017 and higher year. There is also the possibility that the device is setup in iPod mode. If you hit the Macan's 'OPT' key on the home screen --> Smartphone Link --> Device Name --> Select Use in Apple Carplay mode

Automotive design Audio equipment Vehicle Personal luxury car Satellite radio

Font Gadget Display device Multimedia Computer

Font Gas Display device Electronic device Technology

Computer Flat panel display Gadget Font Television set

·
Registered
16 Posts
What year Macan and have you used carplay on it before? I think you may need the 2017 and higher year. There is also the possibility that the device is setup in iPod mode. If you hit the Macan's 'OPT' key on the home screen --> Smartphone Link --> Device Name --> Select Use in Apple Carplay mode

View attachment 249852

View attachment 249853

View attachment 249854

View attachment 249855

Sorry, forgot to mention it is a 2022. I "think" I did hit the option key but go nothing. I went through a bunch of screen and menus looking for it. Was kind of dizzying. Will try again. Thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Sorry, forgot to mention it is a 2022. I "think" I did hit the option key but go nothing. I went through a bunch of screen and menus looking for it. Was kind of dizzying. Will try again. Thanks.
Hmm. The seller I got mine from does have a version for '2022' cars but I'm not sure what the difference would be. I think most of these boxes are the same. They are charging an extra $10 for the 2022 one so maybe there's a different detection in newer cars? I'd also try swapping a different cable too just in case there's an issue there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks @jmoneyu for your posts and response. So, got it to work, and I am embarrassed to say that it is completely user error. There is an array of USB C outlets, and of course, I had to use the one that was not connected to the PCM. Well, that's me. 🤥 I still have to navigate around the system and learn it. What I do not understand is why I get Waze to run sometimes and not others. Same with Google. Must be that I am in Carplay instead of AA? I am having difficulty distinguishing between the two. I am paired and everything, and still trying to figure out why some apps work some of the times and not others. Does anybody know if I can actually download apps onto these units to show up on the PCM?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks @jmoneyu for your posts and response. So, got it to work, and I am embarrassed to say that it is completely user error. There is an array of USB C outlets, and of course, I had to use the one that was not connected to the PCM. Well, that's me. 🤥 I still have to navigate around the system and learn it. What I do not understand is why I get Waze to run sometimes and not others. Same with Google. Must be that I am in Carplay instead of AA? I am having difficulty distinguishing between the two. I am paired and everything, and still trying to figure out why some apps work some of the times and not others. Does anybody know if I can actually download apps onto these units to show up on the PCM?
This basically turns your screen into an Android tablet. Everything is run through android apps and you can install additional ones through the google play store or sideload any apps that aren't available (e.g. download from apkmirror / install the apk files using ES File Explorer). Wireless Carplay / Android Auto are run through the app called Speedplay -- initial pairing is through bluetooth and then the AI Box creates a WIFI connection with your phone.

If you want to use the stock android apps on the unit (e.g. Youtube, Netflix, Waze, Spotify etc) then you need to disconnect android auto/carplay on your phone and connect it to the phones hotspot or another wifi connection. Or you can use both if you install a SIM card in the AI Box -- but that would probably be an added fee through your carrier.

One thing that might be confusing is that you can have two Waze / Google Maps apps. One is in Carplay/Android Auto and the other is the stock Android app installed on the AI Box.

Stock Screen:

Mobile phone Communication Device Telephony Gadget Mobile device

Example of Speedplay before carplay connection:
Plant Font Display device Electric blue Screenshot

I've also installed a custom launcher with more of a car type interface called Agama Car Launcher (30 day trial / $3 cost). There are others on the play store too like Car Launcher Pro. Agama is fairly simple and allows you to customize the shortcuts, colors etc.
Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

Here's a review / walk through of the Applepie unit by Carplay Life (they explain the features better than I could): https://www.carplaylife.com/video/f...dongle-internal-sim-gps-applepie-mini-review/

·
Registered
2019 Macan S
232 Posts
I have a hotspot in my Macan through ATT. I'm figuring if I get one of these I'll give that a try, anyone here try doing that yet?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a hotspot in my Macan through ATT. I'm figuring if I get one of these I'll give that a try, anyone here try doing that yet?
You can connect it through that but then you wouldn't be able to use wireless Carplay/Android Auto at the same time since wireless carplay uses the box's wifi connection. The other option is to transfer the SIM from the Macan to the AI Box and then you can use Wireless Carplay & AI Box connected apps at the same time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This basically turns your screen into an Android tablet. Everything is run through android apps and you can install additional ones through the google play store or sideload any apps that aren't available (e.g. download from apkmirror / install the apk files using ES File Explorer). Wireless Carplay / Android Auto are run through the app called Speedplay -- initial pairing is through bluetooth and then the AI Box creates a WIFI connection with your phone.

If you want to use the stock android apps on the unit (e.g. Youtube, Netflix, Waze, Spotify etc) then you need to disconnect android auto/carplay on your phone and connect it to the phones hotspot or another wifi connection. Or you can use both if you install a SIM card in the AI Box -- but that would probably be an added fee through your carrier.

One thing that might be confusing is that you can have two Waze / Google Maps apps. One is in Carplay/Android Auto and the other is the stock Android app installed on the AI Box.

Stock Screen:

View attachment 249947

Example of Speedplay before carplay connection:
View attachment 249948

I've also installed a custom launcher with more of a car type interface called Agama Car Launcher (30 day trial / $3 cost). There are others on the play store too like Car Launcher Pro. Agama is fairly simple and allows you to customize the shortcuts, colors etc.
View attachment 249949

Here's a review / walk through of the Applepie unit by Carplay Life (they explain the features better than I could): https://www.carplaylife.com/video/f...dongle-internal-sim-gps-applepie-mini-review/
Hey @jmoney, thanks for the post and help. Was able to get the system to work with your explanation. What was getting me was the 3 layers - the system OS, CP and AA. I mistakenly thought the system OS was part of CP, which it isn't. Once this point was clarified, all good. Was able to download apps by disconnecting AA and using phone as a hotspot. Really, the system OS is so much more robust that AA, I do not understand why anyone would use AA. Once more, thanks for helping me figure this thing out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So Waze works flawlessly on Android Auto, but when I try to use Waze from the OS interface, I getting nothing. It renders where I am, but when I start moving it does nothing. I connected the dongle via my phone hotspot and can get YouTube, Spotify, Google Maps, etc. but not Waze. Any ideas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey @jmoney:
Thank you for your explanation so far. I'm just trying to understand what this box does - before taking the plunge. Plese tell me if my understanding is correct:

When I connect the box via USB to the Macan (I have a 2021) it takes over the infotainment screen, replacing the Porsche native functionality. then, when I pair the phone to the box (using a Samsung in this case), I can use Android Auto to do all the things it can do (Waze, etc.) - but not any of the native Porsche functions (music, GPS, etc.)

Do I have a correct understanding - or am I missing something? TIA for your assistance here.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts