Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, now that we have seen multiple high quality pics of both CF Sideblades & Regular black plastic, what are your thoughts? Worth the price?

I know there is another thread about sideblades, but it hasnt been updated for a while. We've had many new ppl see, feel, drive & take nice pics the Macan & sideblades, so it would be great if they could chime in!
They are $1500 Canadian for us which is a bit pricey, but so are a lot of other options so....! Would love to hear from people that have seen BOTH in person & see what they think about the blades in both plastic & CF!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went 2 the presentation of the macan friday at my dealer, and in real life didn't like the carbon sideblades. In my opinion they don't add any value and draw 2 much attention away from the lining off the car in general. I ordered them painted in body colour.
But in you case, ordering a white one, I would consider ordering them in carbon , because white on white will look a bit pale probably

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
I'm waiting to see the standard sideblades in person in the US.

IF they are painted matte in Lava Black like it says on my spec sheet I'm going to be good with them.

IF they are just raw plastic, I'm pretty certain I'll be disappointed I didn't go CF as I saw those at the Boston show.

Frankly, if there was an option to have the painted gloss black to match the spoiler I would have paid it and been extremely happy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm waiting to see the standard sideblades in person in the US.

IF they are painted matte in Lava Black like it says on my spec sheet I'm going to be good with them.

IF they are just raw plastic, I'm pretty certain I'll be disappointed I didn't go CF.

Frankly, if there was an option to have the painted gloss black to match the spoiler I would have paid it and been extremely happy.

I saw them in real life and they really look like the "plastic" colour off the back bumper. If you want them black then if I were you I would have them painted afterwards in the colour off the spoiler -> dissapointment coming your way , sorry bro...

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
I saw them in real life and they really look like the "plastic" colour off the back bumper. If you want them black then if I were you I would have them painted afterwards in the colour off the spoiler -> dissapointment coming your way , sorry bro...
Thanks and understood :(

It's a trivial matter to me as the main reason I am (was? :) ) holding out that they are painted, well aside from the spec sheet saying so, is for when I detail/wax my Macan. I take great joy in keeping my vehicles clean and shinny and if it is raw plastic that is just 'something' else I'll need to mask off each time I detail. In addition with it being surrounded by painted surface it'll be a little tricky to ensure coverage so that wax/polish stain doesn't get on the blades.

I'm glad you mentioned this as it's another consideration for the OP too!

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Rather than paint, owners should check out vinyl wraps. You can get the wrap done in a variety of colors and textures, including the glossy black to match the rear spoiler if desired. A wrap will be much less involved than painting, and has the benefit of easily being turned back to the stock configuration if desired later on. Given the positioning of the side blades, I'd be concerned for those who will take their Macan off road about stone chips marring the paint down there. Much easier to replace the vinyl if it's damaged than have to check the car back into the shop for a touch-up.

Reactions: IvanC and sebis

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I expect I would go for the unpainted ones. Later, if I don't like them, I could always consider painting them myself, including with Plasti Dip. I did the side blades, fender trim, and bumpers on my 01 RAV4 last fall, since the gray colored raw plastic had discolored from sun etc. They now look great. Total cost was about $15 and the car looks so much better.

Reactions: IvanC

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Rather than paint, owners should check out vinyl wraps. You can get the wrap done in a variety of colors and textures, including the glossy black to match the rear spoiler if desired. A wrap will be much less involved than painting, and has the benefit of easily being turned back to the stock configuration if desired later on. Given the positioning of the side blades, I'd be concerned for those who will take their Macan off road about stone chips marring the paint down there. Much easier to replace the vinyl if it's damaged than have to check the car back into the shop for a touch-up.
I was planning to get the wrap but, it appears that the plastic blades are not smooth, can you still wrap them without looking funny?

Reactions: Bull_Market

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Yep, if the blades aren't smooth we'll have to use Plastidip. Much cheaper to go that route anyway, although color options are a little more limited as compared to a wrap.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Plasti Dip is bringing out new colors all the time. Here is my RAV4 that I used Plasti Dip on last fall for the bumpers, side blades, etc. It made an amazing difference since the gray plastic had bleached out and had uneven coloring from too many years in the sun. I actually haven't painted the front fender flare yet, thus the slight difference in color. The nice thing about Plasti Dip is it is cheap, and if a surface gets scraped and the coating starts to peel, you just paint it again. It is very forgiving and easy to apply, effectively creating a wrap-like coating.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Plasti Dip is bringing out new colors all the time. Here is my RAV4 that I used Plasti Dip on last fall for the bumpers, side blades, etc. It made an amazing difference since the gray plastic had bleached out and had uneven coloring from too many years in the sun. I actually haven't painted the front fender flare yet, thus the slight difference in color. The nice thing about Plasti Dip is it is cheap, and if a surface gets scraped and the coating starts to peel, you just paint it again. It is very forgiving and easy to apply, effectively creating a wrap-like coating.
Never heard of this plastidip stuff, but if its going to save me 1500 bux I will let you tell me more about it :) I was thinking of wrapping the sideblades as well, but im not so sure the vinyl will stick to that surface! Which product am I looking for exactly? Coatings and Adhesives, Rubber and Plastic Coatings | Plasti Dip Interntional

·
Registered
1,252 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yah im not so sure about spraying plastic onto my 75k Porsche LOL I think I'll pass

Reactions: Edgar

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
There are a bunch of YouTube videos on people plasti dipping badges in darker colors, wheels, roofs, and even whole cars! Seems pretty safe for the paint, it's meant to peel right off. I'll prob end up doing the same to my rear badge at some point to match whatever color wheels I end up going with.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Yah im not so sure about spraying plastic onto my 75k Porsche LOL I think I'll pass
Don't worry, that unpainted plastic stuff represents a pretty small percentage of that $75k car. Plus, if you try it and don't like it, you just peel it back off and try something else.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Heh. Plasti-dipping a Porsche. And some people thought this model was not going to change the demographic.
Here's the Plastidip process on my $75k MSRP Cayman S.

Before:

During:

After:

Not sure how much it was to order blacked-out badging in 2006, put it was probably a lot more than $7.50. Sure, lots of examples online of people going too far, and I know some people consider this on the verge of blasphemy to do to a P-car. Those people are more than welcome to spend $200 or more for the factory badging. With so much of the expense in Porsche ownership being frivolous and/or massively over the top, I'll take the saves any place I can provided the results are high in quality.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I like the idea of the badge. If i end up blacking out my rims (and I probably will next spring) I would DEF do this. Nothing wrong w/ that at all, but doing entire sideblades im just unsure about. @whoosh

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
I like the idea of the badge. If i end up blacking out my rims (and I probably will next spring) I would DEF do this. Nothing wrong w/ that at all, but doing entire sideblades im just unsure about. @whoosh
This stuff is amazingly easy to apply. I can understand your concern about doing the 'blades with it due to curves surfaces and just the sheer area needed to cover. But it's so cheap to try it out, and completely reversible if things don't go as well as planned. Definitely a great alternative to taking the car down to a paint/body shop and handing the car over to potentially untrusted hands. That would scare me more than a botched attempt to dip these parts.

Reactions: Bull_Market
1 - 20 of 62 Posts