Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was working on trying to better route my USB cable over to the left driver's air vent when the brake assembly caught my eye. Does anyone know if this is year and\or trim level specific? I have a 2019S

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Starting in 2019, Porsche redesigned the brake pedal assebly in the Macan.

"all variants get a new brake-pedal assembly molded from fiberglass-reinforced plastic. It’s lighter and stiffer than the previous steel assembly, with a shorter lever to the master cylinder and a more precise pressure-point feel through the pedal’s travel range, according to Porsche"

Reactions: burnsy1

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Good find @Masscan thanks!
Your welcome!

Can I ask on your opinion when it comes to the brake pedal on your 2019 Macan? How does the brake pedal feel to you when you apply the brakes? Any play in the pedal....side to side or up & down? Do the brakes begin to bite as soon as you apply pressure, or is there a slight delay?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried to really feel this out to give you a good answer... but I'm not sure it's helpful. There seems to be very little play in any direction... if I grab it with my hand and try to move it side to side there is very little. If I apply light pressure while driving... there is very little break pressure. It has never felt "grabby" or "spongy" in my experience with it. I had the unfortunate scenario last week where a lady seemed to really want me to t-bone her as she pulled out unexpectedly in front of me, and the brakes felt "right." Maybe I can do a comparison against my other vehicle to see how it's different.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I tried to really feel this out to give you a good answer... but I'm not sure it's helpful. There seems to be very little play in any direction... if I grab it with my hand and try to move it side to side there is very little. If I apply light pressure while driving... there is very little break pressure. It has never felt "grabby" or "spongy" in my experience with it. I had the unfortunate scenario last week where a lady seemed to really want me to t-bone her as she pulled out unexpectedly in front of me, and the brakes felt "right." Maybe I can do a comparison against my other vehicle to see how it's different.
Thank you burnsy1, I appreciate the brake pedal review!

I've always been disappointed with the "feel" of the brake pedal in my 2018 Macan GTS. There's a lot of play, both side to side & and when initially applying....I expected better from a Porsche. At times, the brake pedal feels like something out of a Dodge Caravan. I liked the brake pedal feel in my last vehicle....a Mercedes Benz C450.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you burnsy1, I appreciate the brake pedal review!

I've always been disappointed with the "feel" of the brake pedal in my 2018 Macan GTS. There's a lot of play, both side to side & and when initially applying....I expected better from a Porsche. At times, the brake pedal feels like something out of a Dodge Caravan. I liked the brake pedal feel in my last vehicle....a Mercedes Benz C450.
That definitely doesn't seem right.

My other car is a C250, I doubt it would feel anything like your 450, but I may take it for a spin today to see how it feels compared to my Macan.

·
Registered
373 Posts
That's fascinating, I haven't seen a carbon brake pedal before. I just checked my newly delivered MY20 GTS as I was only replacing the pedals yesterday, but it has a standard boring old steel pedal 😔

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
That's fascinating, I haven't seen a carbon brake pedal before. I just checked my newly delivered MY20 GTS as I was only replacing the pedals yesterday, but it has a standard boring old steel pedal 😔
Fiberglass, not carbon. That's weird though about your brake pedal assembly still being made of steel, maybe the laws in your country require steel.

"All new models in the Macan range now have improved brake pedal feel. What is known as an organic sheet pedal is made of moulded, fibreglass-reinforced thermoplastic sheet material with a back-injected plastic rib structure. It weighs around 300 g less than the previous steel part and acts on the brake master cylinder via a shortened lever arm. This results in more immediate brake response, and the driver can also feel a very precise pressure point because of the firm connection. Keen drivers in particular will value this optimised feedback."

Reactions: SoCalS5
1 - 9 of 9 Posts