Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was curious how to activate the the battery charge status indicator in the Vehicle display ? Is it a GTS only thing ?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I was curious how to activate the the battery charge status indicator in the Vehicle display ? Is it a GTS only thing ?
It's not just the GTS. It's in the manual. If I had it handy, I would point you to the section.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's not just the GTS. It's in the manual. If I had it handy, I would point you to the section.
****! That IS useful.. i think i'll research the manual today before heading out home. Thanks..

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
****! That IS useful.. i think i'll research the manual today before heading out home. Thanks..
If i recall correctly it's in the PCM Menu under Vehicle/Settings/Display

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
@Shark I do the same... But it's ok, I always have some anyway for my VPAP.
But why? I understand why it would make sense for a non sealed battery, and why it would make sense with engine coolant (although from what I've seen, few professional techs use it for such), but for washer fluid? Maybe it keep nozzles from clogging from mineral impurities in the water?

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
But why? I understand why it would make sense for a non sealed battery, and why it would make sense with engine coolant (although from what I've seen, few professional techs use it for such), but for washer fluid? Maybe it keep nozzles from clogging from mineral impurities in the water?
@Shark I was told it does a better job of keeping the glass "smoother" since it doesn't have the minerals/contaminates that regular water (or even normal bottled) has that can dry on the surface. Does it make a difference? No idea, honestly, but it also doesn't really cost anything against every other cost associated with Porsche ownership.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
@Shark I was told it does a better job of keeping the glass "smoother" since it doesn't have the minerals/contaminates that regular water (or even normal bottled) has that can dry on the surface. Does it make a difference? No idea, honestly, but it also doesn't really cost anything against every other cost associated with Porsche ownership.
Interesting. So I Googled "Washer Fluid with Mineral Water".

Didn't see anything about smoother glass (are you familiar with RainX?), although there were some mentions that using non-distilled water would eventually clog nozzles and pumps. I have to say I'm skeptical as I've used straight tap water during the warmer months in many cars for many decades and I've never replaced a nozzle or pump, but I'm just one person.

But even more interesting was a BBC article saying if you use standard tap water in your windshield washer fluid reservoir instead of a cleaner, you may have effectively turned your vehicle into a biological weapon, and the only person you're likely to be hurting is yourself.

As it turns out, using plain water can cause the washer fluid system to become a breeding ground for Legionella bacterium – the same nastiness that causes Legionaires' Disease and pneumonia. Spray your windshield and the bacteria becomes airborne, allowing it to easily enter your lungs and wreak havoc with your immune system.

Researchers discovered the hive of scum and villainy lurking under the hood by attempting to discern why professional drivers were five times more likely to become ill than their amateur counterparts. After a little scientific sleuthing, the lab coats unearthed the bacteria.

·
Premium Member
4,209 Posts
@Shark Wow, glad I don't use just tap water then. Yes, I used to always use the original RainX product, but their washer fluid absolutely sucks , and there are several threads here saying it can cause clogging issues. Now that I just get my car cleaned vs. doing it myself, I rarely use RainX.

But that is a different type of "smoother". That is a temporary hydrophobic coating on the window that sort of repels water like oil does. With Distilled water, I am referring to the lack of mineral (or other deposits) in the water that can stay on the window when the water dries, effectively leaving a surface that dirt can easily adhere to.

Again, does it matter? I really have no idea. But I doubt I have spent $50-$100 using it when I use a washer mix. In fact, I think it's likely that Sonax plus distilled water is probably significantly cheaper at the same volume as buying premade washer fluid, and it works much better than any I have tried.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
@SharkWow, glad I don't use just tap water then. Yes, I used to always use the original RainX product, but their washer fluid absolutely sucks , and there are several threads here saying it can cause clogging issues. Now that I just get my car cleaned vs. doing it myself, I rarely use RainX.

But that is a different type of "smoother". That is a temporary hydrophobic coating on the window that sort of repels water like oil does. With Distilled water, I am referring to the lack of mineral (or other deposits) in the water that can stay on the window when the water dries, effectively leaving a surface that dirt can easily adhere to.

Again, does it matter? I really have no idea. But I doubt I have spent $50-$100 using it when I use a washer mix. In fact, I think it's likely that Sonax plus distilled water is probably significantly cheaper at the same volume as buying premade washer fluid, and it works much better than any I have tried.
I'm not familiar with the Sonax product, so I looked at it on Amazon.

It says you can mix it with tap water of any hardness as it has an anti-lime effect.

But one thing it didn't say that concerns me here in the northeast (and not an issue for you in Hawaii)...what happens when temps drop below freezing?

Other than that it is an interesting idea as I forgot I have a free source of distilled water...the dehumidifier in our basement :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
If i recall correctly it's in the PCM Menu under Vehicle/Settings/Display
Yep, found it, it was under Vehicles -> Settings -> Display -> Option 4 had - No Display selected. I chose Engine temp, Oil temp, Turbo boost pressure, Battery Volt.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Sonax product, so I looked at it on Amazon.

It says you can mix it with tap water of any hardness as it has an anti-lime effect.

But one thing it didn't say that concerns me here in the northeast (and not an issue for you in Hawaii)...what happens when temps drop below freezing?

Other than that it is an interesting idea as I forgot I have a free source of distilled water...the dehumidifier in our basement :)
Sadly the water collected from dehumidifiers is considered as grey water because it can contain bacteria. It might have a relatively low mineral content though.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Earth date Nov 15, 2016

10k oil change at 9382 miles
AMSOIL 8.5 qt 5W-40
Mahle OX 254 D4
oil drain plug 21 ft-lbs
oil filter canister 18 ft-lbs

Thank you for sharing and with pics. Just to confirm, is the plug shown in your 6th pic the drain plug (as opposed to the PDK plug)? Thx

1 - 20 of 47 Posts