Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I've been hearing this odd really high pitch "whistle" at varying points of acceleration and RPM on my '16 Macan Turbo. It sounds like it's coming from the intake on the driver's side... can't hear it with all windows up but if you have the driver's window down and you cannot hear it from the passenger side. It honestly sounds like air is trying to be sucked in through a tiny hole. Porsche looked at it and showed no faults, they said they tightened up everything but the noise is still there... the foreman was able to replicate the sound and it went away for a day before it came back. I have yet to take it back.

Few things of note:

Doesn't happen when revving while idle/parked
Usually happens between 1500 - 2500 RPM at medium to heavy acceleration
Turbo shows at 0psi when it occurs (usually not on the throttle hard enough for the turbo to kick in)

I have the Flat6 intake filters which seem to amplify the sound... with stock, the sound is still there albeit a bit more muted. Given this fact, I'm guessing it's related to the intake but not 100% sure.

I tossed a little microphone under the hood, next to the left intake... aside from the engine noise, you can easily hear the high pitched "whistle". It's definitely not the typical turbo "whoosh". I'm not sure if it could be the diverter valves since I also do hear it when letting off the throttle or downshifting at a high rpm.

Here is the audio I took... it's a bit hard to hear but you should hear that high pitched noise... doesn't quite come through the same but looking for any advice!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WpoJodZGpctWfMtzS9bvqjpU5IZYY13I

Can someone listen to the clip and help me out? At least want to make sure I'm not crazy.

Thank You!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I hear the whistle, made a mistake of having my headset on loud as well.

@wwahl it might be past a certain kHz (age tends to drop the ability to hear past certain kHz) so you can't hear it!>:D

Quick search unrelated to Macan tells me that it's a vacuum leak under the hood.

·
Registered
105 Posts
On a phone and don’t know how to post a link. Google search this “MY16 S Engine Squeal / Shift Squeal” I posted a YouTube vid towards the end of that thread, for a whistle sound. See if it is same. Mine was a bad Oil Separator.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where are you located? This sounded like a well tuned John Deere tractor and I could not hear the whistle.
Located in Southern California

On a phone and don’t know how to post a link. Google search this “MY16 S Engine Squeal / Shift Squeal” I posted a YouTube vid towards the end of that thread, for a whistle sound. See if it is same. Mine was a bad Oil Separator.
Looking through that post now!

I hear the whistle, made a mistake of having my headset on loud as well. Quick search unrelated to Macan tells me that it's a vacuum leak under the hood.
Any idea which vacuum line? Intercooler maybe?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I couldn’t get the link to work, but if the noise occurs at 1500-2500 with moderate throttle it’s un likely to be a vacuum leak since at those rpm and throttle opening there would be very little vacuum. Vacuum leaks are usually audible at idle or just off idle and after reving the engine as the rpm is falling, since this is when vacuum is at its greatest.

If you suspect a vacuum leak it will be on the engine side of the throttle ,any hose/ pipe etc on the engine side could be the source.
To help locate a vacuum leak remove engine cover and,with engine running ,spray something like carburettor or throttle cleaner at any joints, hoses, pipes etc. you will notice an rpm change if there is a vacuum leak as the engine sucks in the throttle cleaner.

That being said, your description doesn’t sound like a vacuum leak. Is the air filter well fitted to the outlet of the air box. Possibly turbo or intake noise if filter not sealing correctly.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I re-uploaded using google instead of that other site... should work now. It's a tad loud so don't have any headset or speakers on high when listening.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I re-uploaded using google instead of that other site... should work now. It's a tad loud so don't have any headset or speakers on high when listening.

Thanks for the advice!
Did you figure this noise out? I'm having very similar sound on my 17 GTS

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No luck :( The foreman send over the data to "porsche engineers" and said it's normal. I don't buy it one bit... it's pretty **** annoying and very obviously not normal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ah, well over here in the UK, we have a noise, coming from the passenger side (so your driver side),
nice empty straight stretch of road, radio turned down, FULL throttle, and its a whistle/whine, which fades in then back out before limiter, at full boost, almost sounds like a leaking door seal, but its from the bonnet, did a smoke test, from left lower intercooler seal was knackered, changed that, now the whine is almost gone, but still tiny bit there, either its just one of those things, or there is another leak somewhere

1 - 11 of 11 Posts