Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
@Intexltd, breaking in for what purpose? They're not stealing the car, right? Anything of value visible inside? Old paper road maps left in the door pockets? They're becoming valuable as NFT's now. :ROFLMAO:So let's connect the dots here: Juvenile breaks in, doesn't find anything of value, gets po'd, sprinkles a few nails behind the Macan on his way to the next driveway. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The keyless hack was a known issue. Porsche improved it in 2019 but it won't be 100%. For the relay method to work, someone just need to be close to the key fob when it is actively transmitting. Disabling the key fob or keyless entirely solves the problem, but you lose the feature. I guess Porsche expected owners to park their cars in a garage and didn't think it would be an issue... until they started making mass market models.

Hitag AES has been cracked also.
There is a Bulgarian tool on the market that can code a key in less than 45 seconds in the new Macan.

To be 95% theft proof,one must get a combo of mechanical and electronic protection and also OBD port removal/change.

Atleast once a month I do theft recoveries on Porsche,and ofcourse in memory I always find a third key.

·
Registered
31 Posts
@Intexltd, breaking in for what purpose? They're not stealing the car, right? Anything of value visible inside? Old paper road maps left in the door pockets? They're becoming valuable as NFT's now. :ROFLMAO:So let's connect the dots here: Juvenile breaks in, doesn't find anything of value, gets po'd, sprinkles a few nails behind the Macan on his way to the next driveway. Just sayin'.
For example in Europe it gets stripped down.
Multimedia,Display,Steering wheel,Instrument cluster,Taillights,Headlights...
They steal cars and then they break them apart for parts.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
For example in Europe it gets stripped down.
Multimedia,Display,Steering wheel,Instrument cluster,Taillights,Headlights...
They steal cars and then they break them apart for parts.
I understand that, but OP didn't get the car stolen, and didn't report any personal property missing. So what was the point? Juvenile says 'I could, therefore I did'?

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
I understand that, but OP didn't get the car stolen, and didn't report any personal property missing. So what was the point? Juvenile says 'I could, therefore I did'?
A point I would like to make is this is the same as having a key to your mailbox. How would you like to have someone pawing through your personal really important stuff? That they can do this is a total failure on the part of Porsche to deliver a safe system that they sold to us as such. Porsche ought to fix it and install the fix in each of our cars that they sold as safe to us. My soap box is so high here I am running low on breath.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
That they can do this is a total failure on the part of Porsche to deliver a safe system that they sold to us as such. Porsche ought to fix it and install the fix in each of our cars that they sold as safe to us.
It's not just a Porsche problem....

·
Registered
2017 Macan GTS
278 Posts
Is there a config setting in PIWIS that can be tuned to improve security sensitivity?

i’d also install a wifi camera or two and point it at your garage and driveway.

·
Super Moderator
3,103 Posts
The OP believes that someone hacked his Macan because of his 100% certainty that the vehicle had been left
locked the previous evening, and was discovered the next day unlocked.

The belief, or assumption, is at the root of this issue.

It could be as simple as the key fob getting bumped or pressed sometime after the initial locking action and unlocking the vehicle.

As the OP stated, there is/was no sign of forced entry and nothing is/was missing.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
My cousin lives in Milan, Italy and unfortunately has to park his BMW 550 on the street. One morning he got down to his car and from outside it was perfect. When he got close to it he noticed someone had broken into it (no glasses were broken) and stole the ENTIRE dash of the car. Yes, the entire panel that stays in front of the driver with speedometer, tachometer, etc..., to the iPad like screen, to the controls fo radio, AC, etc.... There was just a huge hole inside the car with wires hanging and everything was missing. Apparently the insurance company was not surprised and said that is very common. Thus, not having anything left inside the car is not enough since thieves are now looking for parts that can be easily sold.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My cousin lives in Milan, Italy and unfortunately has to park his BMW 550 on the street. One morning he got down to his car and from outside it was perfect. When he got close to it he noticed someone had broken into it (no glasses were broken) and stole the ENTIRE dash of the car. Yes, the entire panel that stays in front of the driver with speedometer, tachometer, etc..., to the iPad like screen, to the controls fo radio, AC, etc.... There was just a huge hole inside the car with wires hanging and everything was missing. Apparently the insurance company was not surprised and said that is very common. Thus, not having anything left inside the car is not enough since thieves are now looking for parts that can be easily sold.
Exactly the same situation here.

Is there a config setting in PIWIS that can be tuned to improve security sensitivity?

i’d also install a wifi camera or two and point it at your garage and driveway.
Disconnect the KESSY antenna's and use the normal remote to enter the car.
They can scan the key but can't press the buttons on it if they dont physically have it in their hand.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
The OP believes that someone hacked his Macan because of his 100% certainty that the vehicle had been left
locked the previous evening, and was discovered the next day unlocked.

The belief, or assumption, is at the root of this issue.

It could be as simple as the key fob getting bumped or pressed sometime after the initial locking action and unlocking the vehicle.

As the OP stated, there is/was no sign of forced entry and nothing is/was missing.
My two Macans would auto-lock the doors if I forgot to do it manually....

So I don't understand why he is finding the doors unlocked in the morning. Auto-lock disabled through the PCM, or a door was actually opened which disables auto-lock....

Reactions: santastico

·
Registered
412 Posts
“All keyless cars are prone to distance key cloning” What about post #12?
My understanding is that even remote-unlocking key fobs (i.e., even without keyless entry, which is the case with my Macan) can have their signals captured for unlocking with an electronic device that mimics your key.

·
Registered
2017 Macan S Sapphire Blue
41 Posts
The only thing that will slow down someone is the old fashioned kill switch. I had a 68 Camaro RS that was being broken into and stolen. I ended up chaining down the hood and trunk. Installed 2 alarms, one a pager I kept on my belt and the second a delayed siren at the car and used the club. I figured the extra stuff would delay them and they wouldn't be able to start the car giving me time to call the police and get to the car with my bow. So what happened. I had 3 cars at the time so while I was at work with one of the other cars a tow truck backed down my driveway and tried to hook up the Camaro. The only thing that stopped them was my sister was home and came out to ask what they were doing.
In one of my other cars I used to pull the rotor out of the distributor. Boy, back in the good old days!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I park mine inside the garage. No break-ins. Garages are for cars, folks, and not for old couches an dead refrigerators.

·
Registered
2017 Macan GTS
278 Posts
Agreed, go with a good ol fashioned hidden kill switch

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
My Macan has been broken into 3 times in the past year, while it was parked in my driveway. There are NO signs of forced entry, although I am 100% sure the car was locked beforehand.
Is anyone aware of an electronic hack, wherein they can use a code breaker for the "keysless Entry" to get in? I have seen no signs of a "Jimmy" being used
It could've been worse:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Get yourself a faraday cage bag (you can google them) for your key fob and anytime you're not driving it, put the fob in the little bag. Thieves can easily use a $10 range extender fob to activate your key fob in sitting un-shielded in your house. We had two locked and alarmed cars broken into in the bay area and didn't catch on till we saw the thief click their extender fob on camera. Once we got the faraday bag, problem solved (though we often still caught people on camera, walking around the neighborhood, clicking away as they passed our driveway).

21 - 39 of 39 Posts