Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Macan has been broken into 3 times in the past year, while it was parked in my driveway. There are NO signs of forced entry, although I am 100% sure the car was locked beforehand.
Is anyone aware of an electronic hack, wherein they can use a code breaker for the "keysless Entry" to get in? I have seen no signs of a "Jimmy" being used

On another note, my Macan is a flat tire magnet. It has about 6 flat tires during the time I have had it, In my previous 8 German cars, I have had 0 flats during the course of 20 years. Are others experiencing this?

Several years ago someone on this Forum asked if I had seen many other Macans. FYI I had just 3 stopped in front of me (not counting mine) at a local Red light. I sometimes feel that this place (So. Calif) has more Macans than all of Germany. I think Ill switch to a Taycan, Ive only seen 2 here in town.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
My Macan has been broken into 3 times in the past year, while it was parked in my driveway. There are NO signs of forced entry, although I am 100% sure the car was locked beforehand.
Is anyone aware of an electronic hack, wherein they can use a code breaker for the "keysless Entry" to get in? I have seen no signs of a "Jimmy" being used
Can a Macan fob be amplified and intercepted? I don't see why not.

See Protect key fob from hacking threat? here, and, say, https://www.westernmassnews.com/new...cle_7a1c1014-5a8a-11eb-a29a-bfd19fae2e7e.html .

I think there are other threads here, but I didn't bother looking hard. I've read several news articles about the prevalence of this sort of thing in England, for instance.

Google something like auto theft fob hacking and you'll find info on this stuff.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Everything can be hacked. As a IT Director/IT Security Manager, I can tell you nothing is “hack” proof.

As for flat tires, you said it all, you live in So Cal (so do I) and it happens. you can argue that the tires are wider in a Macan than a Civic or even a 3 series so larger surface area, etc.

As for getting a car that you will never see on the road, good luck with that. I’m sure in the next year or two you’ll see more and more Taycans, and now that the “Base” Taycan is out, and once lease deals get better over time... A year ago you hardly saw any Etrons, now they are everywhere. Just don‘t get a Tesla, they’ll be EVERYWHERE.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Just put a sign in the Macan, prominently displayed" "Warning. My pet Cobra got loose and is hiding somewhere in the car".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Snake is a good idea, the problem is that one I caught on video was a younger teenager, and I felt in a foregiving mood, Anyway police are too busy to bother with this.
Thanks everyone- As for run flat tires, I just bought a new rim and tire for a friends M/B who has one, and it was 3X the price of my first car!

·
Registered
6 Posts

On another note, my Macan is a flat tire magnet. It has about 6 flat tires during the time I have had it, In my previous 8 German cars, I have had 0 flats during the course of 20 years. Are others experiencing this?

Several years ago someone on this Forum asked if I had seen many other Macans. FYI I had just 3 stopped in front of me (not counting mine) at a local Red light. I sometimes feel that this place (So. Calif) has more Macans than all of Germany. I think Ill switch to a Taycan, Ive only seen 2 here in town.
New 21 models have fobs which go into hibernation when not moved after 15 seconds ie no signal.As far as i know porsche are the first to introduce this.

·
Premium Member
2,868 Posts
New 21 models have fobs which go into hibernation when not moved after 15 seconds ie no signal.As far as i know porsche are the first to introduce this.
If I am not moving every 15 seconds someone ought to call an aid car. So it looks like back to the Club or the equivalent to lasso your beast?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
If I am not moving every 15 seconds someone ought to call an aid car. So it looks like back to the Club or the equivalent to lasso your beast?
You'll want to be careful about the Club. Surely you remember reading this thread from 2018:

·
Super Moderator
3,104 Posts
After watching this video a few months ago, we bought those little Faraday bags for our keys - better safe than sorry...

...sounds like someone is hacking your key and opening your Macan...

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
If you have Keyless Entry, do you deactivate when not in use or for the night? Turning off Keyless Entry keeps "Electronic Repeater" thieves from stealing your car or opening the doors.

Press the lock and unlock on your FOB at the same time, and hold until the LED stays solid will deactivate Keyless Entry.

Manually pressing the unlock button on the FOB activates Keyless Entry again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Masscan - Thank you! I didnt know it was possible to do that.
I had put a deposit on the Taycan before it was announced, but Covid put a squash on that plan.

·
Registered
2017 Macan S Sapphire Blue
41 Posts
An easy defeat of the "Club" is a hacksaw. They hacksaw your steering wheel and slide the club off.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I live in So Cali as well. in my area they go thru neighborhoods looking for cars unlocked every night. when they do i hear 3 neighbors telling me that they left X in the car and now its gone. All I can say it is ugly in California with crime. make sure you lock your car door. Also I would recommend a ring camera so when you get hit you will see it on video. this may not stop them but it will tell you how it is happening.
Regarding getting nails in tires. I try to avoid new construction areas

·
Registered
31 Posts

All keyless cars are prone to distance key cloning.
You need Faraday cage for your keys.
Google it and buy it.Put the keys inside and forget about scanning anymore.
Also there is another way.
Via key cylinder and Turbo Decoder.
They can decode the key lock in less than 30 seconds.

Hope I have helped.
Sima

·
Registered
2020 Macan S Sapphire Blue, Steel Built 02/20.
109 Posts
“All keyless cars are prone to distance key cloning” What about post #12?

·
Registered
74 Posts
The keyless hack was a known issue. Porsche improved it in 2019 but it won't be 100%. For the relay method to work, someone just need to be close to the key fob when it is actively transmitting. Disabling the key fob or keyless entirely solves the problem, but you lose the feature. I guess Porsche expected owners to park their cars in a garage and didn't think it would be an issue... until they started making mass market models.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
A break-in proof lock? Anyone seen the lockpicking lawyer on youtube? There is nothing that cannot be broken into.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts