Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I noticed that one of my wheels eats outer part of the tire quicker than inner. I took it to a dealership and they suggested to make an alignment. I took it to a shop for alignment and here are my results:

As you can see left front camber is still out of spec. When I asked why they provided this:

Anyone familiar with this? Never seen this kind of camber adjustment approach before. Is this something covered under warranty? They told me to take it to a mechanic and adjust the undercarriage and then take it back for alignment again.

The car drives like on rails and the only problem is front right tire is eaten quicker on the outer part of it. I had this issue on one of my cars before with perfect alignment and could easily address that by rotating tires as that car wasn't staggered.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you buy new? My 2018 cpo s is doing this after only three months of ownership. I'm planning on new tires by winter so holding of on an alignment until then. Wonder if this would be covered under existing warranty (Doubtful).

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Hi all,

I noticed that one of my wheels eats outer part of the tire quicker than inner. I took it to a dealership and they suggested to make an alignment. I took it to a shop for alignment and here are my results:

As you can see left front camber is still out of spec. When I asked why they provided this:

Anyone familiar with this? Never seen this kind of camber adjustment approach before. Is this something covered under warranty? They told me to take it to a mechanic and adjust the undercarriage and then take it back for alignment again.

The car drives like on rails and the only problem is front right tire is eaten quicker on the outer part of it. I had this issue on one of my cars before with perfect alignment and could easily address that by rotating tires as that car wasn't staggered.

Any suggestions?
Yes. Second opinion.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you buy new? My 2018 cpo s is doing this after only three months of ownership. I'm planning on new tires by winter so holding of on an alignment until then. Wonder if this would be covered under existing warranty (Doubtful).
I bought used with new tires. Only front right tire is affected.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. Second opinion.
Well...I came here for third opinion already :) Also while my left front camber is out of spec the tire affected is front right which is within spec. My dealership is telling me to eat dirt as usual so I am looking for opinions here. I saw another topic somewhere around with same symptoms so would like to see how/if it was resolved.

·
Super Moderator
3,325 Posts
Won't toe also cause increased wear on a tire edge?

I notice toe was modified by 20 degrees, though on the left front... and you stated the right front was showing excessive edge wear.

The Macan shop manual confirms the only way to "center the camber" is by moving the front axle carrier.

Good luck!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Left front had high toe out, this tends to drag the steering slightly to the left as the car drives down the road, that then pulls the right front tyre slightly left (ends up with more toe in than is required). If the right front goes down the road pointing slightly to the left the outer edge will see more wear (as the tyre is being dragged ever so slightly off its rolling centre) and this is what is reported. Front camber is a lot more tolerant of tyre wear because the wheel will move from negative to positive as the wheel moves up and down over bumps - it takes a lot more camber to to start marking up a tyre than it does toe in/out issues.

Those who have lowered their cars will have more negative camber than those who haven't. Unfortunately, on the Macan, Porsche have not provided individual camber adjustment for the front (unlike the back wheels), its only done by moving the whole sub frame to get an average for both wheels.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Yes. Second opinion.
Well...I came here for third opinion already :) Also while my left front camber is out of spec the tire affected is front right which is within spec. My dealership is telling me to eat dirt as usual so I am looking for opinions here. I saw another topic somewhere around with same symptoms so would like to see how/if it was resolved.
There's a long-winded thread somewhere with me stating my Macan was way out of alignment NEW. After I wore out a set of Conti Sport 6's in 9k miles and I had been experiencing steering issues on turns, I figured something was up. It took two alignments to get it right.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,968 Posts
If the tires are not directional side to side rotation works.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The solution is an eccentric camber bolt on the top bolt of the left front strut. Plenty of YouTube videos and vendors. Google and YouTube "search".

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate the replies. However, I am not sure I am 100% sure which particular part of my alignment causes excessive front right tire wear on the outer edge? Do you guys think that toe/steer ahead contributed to this?

I also see that based on what ///Bruce posted -1 camber on the left front wheel is pretty much how macan is. I guess that should be in spec then based on our two cars having +- same camber there. Not sure why it's red.

·
Registered
343 Posts
-1 degree negative camber is a benefit when it comes to steering input, better handling but, it goes without saying that both sides should be set the same. I'm at a loss to explain that you experienced undue tire wear on the right front tire with the original setting. OTOH, I would've expected it on the Left tire.

·
Registered
106 Posts
When my windshield was replaced, they had to re-calibrate the camera on the windshield. An alignment was needed, and paid for by the insurance company as a part of the repair.
Same thing......front camber was out of spec before and after.
IMG_4165.jpeg

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
....I am not sure I am 100% sure which particular part of my alignment causes excessive front right tire wear on the outer edge?....
Directionally, as camber becomes more negative, the tire will wear more on the inside tread.

In your case, there is room to shift the sub-frame to make the left side less negative, and make the right side more negative. That would help. However, shifting the subframe is a rather crude adjustment, and difficult to get right. Additionally, the right side is already technically within spec.

It's possible there are some issues with the control arm bushings on the right side, so you might take a critical look at those.

As noted, there are adjustable bushings and control arms which provide more camber adjustment flexibility.

Also, you may see some alignment examples with more negative camber than your car. That could be because they have Air Suspension, or have installed lowering springs to lower the ride height.

Hope that helps. Best of luck with your path forward.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Directionally, as camber becomes more negative, the tire will wear more on the inside tread.

In your case, there is room to shift the sub-frame to make the left side less negative, and make the right side more negative. That would help. However, shifting the subframe is a rather crude adjustment, and difficult to get right. Additionally, the right side is already technically within spec.

It's possible there are some issues with the control arm bushings on the right side, so you might take a critical look at those.

As noted, there are adjustable bushings and control arms which provide more camber adjustment flexibility.

Also, you may see some alignment examples with more negative camber than your car. That could be because they have Air Suspension, or have installed lowering springs to lower the ride height.

Hope that helps. Best of luck with your path forward.
upvote

If you hit a curb, the subframe will shift. A frame and alignment guy that doesn’t use computers will put the car up in the air, loosen the subframe bolts and let it spring back to its natural state. Then do an alignment.

if someone loosened a subframe bolt without even pressure on the subframe, it will shift causing tire wear issues.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The solution is an eccentric camber bolt on the top bolt of the left front strut. Plenty of YouTube videos and vendors. Google and YouTube "search".
I'd like to know where you can add an eccentric bolt to a Macan suspension, they don't have MacPherson like many other cars, you can still add adjustable to arms like I did on mine to get full camber/caster adjustment but that involves more than just a bolt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts