Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, posting here for a neighbor of mine who's found a Cayman a few states over.

Motorcars of Jackson LLC | Pre-owned Dealer | Jackson, Mississippi
2014 Porsche Cayman S Jackson, Mississippi | Motorcars of Jackson LLC

He's negotiated a price he's comfortable with, and we planned to drive there this Saturday. Neither of us has ever purchased out of state. My neighbor called to put down a deposit and the dealer only works via paypal (tiny red flag there, at least to us). It could simply be a business decision, but it's not the norm. The other part is the title etc. We're told that Mississippi and Texas don't reciprocate, by the dealer. So, we'd have to figure out the TTL process here in Texas. That's bit of a pain, but likely to be well established. His bank will run a title search prior to issuing a cashiers check, so hopefully that covers the legitimacy of ownership.

Anyone with experience directly on indirectly? There's just a level of anxiety and some 'orange' flags. They may only be flags because we're inexperienced here. But maybe they are really red flags. Don't know. Nothing negative shows up in some basic internet sleuthing. What little I do find is positive.

Thanks guys,

Russ

·
Registered
489 Posts
I purchased a new car out of Pennsylvania and they set me up with 7 day temporary tags (paper plate) and I had the car shipped to my state. I had to get the VIN inspected at DMV and then pay the sales tax and registration fees. In CA you have 5 days after your cross state lines by law.

I purchased a new car out of Florida (ordered to build from Audi in Germany) and was able to have them do a courtesy delivery at my local dealer. The DMV process got all screwed up, the dealership in Florida used a service to process the paperwork and I actually had to have it all redone once I took possession of the car.

The process turned out to be nearly the same, Florida collected sales tax on my purchase for the State of CA, so that was good, however they added a document processing fee that I had to fight to get back (which was refunded). I also had to take the car to DMV, get inspected, get a emissions test and pay the fees to the vehicle licensing and registration.

Maybe this will help: http://www.dmv.org/mo-missouri/buy-sell/used-cars/paper-work-when-buying-a-car.php

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Private dealers can be strange. Get and check the VIN online. Procedures for interstate sales vary by state but each state dmv usually have requirements fairly well posted including required docs. Call respective dmvs if you're not sure. Don't rely on the dealer.

As far as the transaction - main issue is who has the money and who has the title. You don't want to ever be the guy with neither when dealing with strangers.

Better to be a little paranoid than not.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Man, I don't know that I'd want a 2014 car that was that low mileage and wasn't CPO. I'd at least ask them to take it over to Porsche for an inspection before I loaded up and went to look at it.

That said, I've bought plenty of cars out of state. It's a bit of a hassle, but for the right car, totally worth it.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, there are copies of the original order sheet, and it seems to match up with data from online vin decoders. We'll check the physical tag as well. Garage queens are certainly not unheard of in the Porsche world. This one is super low though. Would be interesting to pay for an owner search and find the original owner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the story ends with the dealer telling him his partner sold the car since they didn't have a deposit or check copy from him. My neighbor was pretty bummed.

Oh well. We know one thing: He didn't get screwed... there's always that! He may have missed out on exactly what he wanted. MAY have. But for sure he didn't get hosed.

·
Premium Member
2017 Panamera Turbo
1,377 Posts
I bought my Macan Turbo from this dealership in Mississippi in August. Everything went smoothly and I paid via a CC deposit, not PayPal. It only cost me $400 to ship my car to Dallas from Jackson via the guy they use. I can give u his name if you want.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am in California and ordering (LA PEC delivery) a 2019 Macan S from a New Jersey dealer. I assume I only have to pay the California sale tax and not the NJ sale tax. Am I correct? I asked my SA and he hasn’t answered yet.
Any other hidden unusual issues from buying out-of-state?
Thank.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
YES. You might need to re smog A giant hassle! Even though its 50 state approved. Also, you might need VIN verification from CHP or a VIN verification company. Have the NJ dealer collect the tax!

·
Registered
891 Posts
In Australia each dealer has a sales footprint imposed by Porsche so if you are in a one dealer town you are out of luck !

·
Registered
8 Posts
YES. You might need to re smog A giant hassle! Even though its 50 state approved. Also, you might need VIN verification from CHP or a VIN verification company. Have the NJ dealer collect the tax!

+1 on the sales tax part. Last time I bought an out-of-state car I paid the sales tax when I registered the car instead of paying it at the selling dealer. It ended up being a PITA when I registered the car here; the agent at DMV said it's a smoother process when you pay sales tax at the selling dealer.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I just ran into this... selling dealer in Ohio for a NY registration

Ohio said it didn't have such a sales tax agreement w/ NY

So. I assume the collection issue depends on the cooperation between the states in question

·
Registered
405 Posts
I live in CT, did PEC delivery in Atlanta, and purchased through a dealer in Delaware. The dealer collected CT sales tax and handled the registration process (pretty sure they outsource the work, but that’s beside the point).

Prior to going to PEC, the dealer sent me a temporary Delaware plate and registration (good for 2 months) that I brought with me (PEC won’t release the car to you without proof of some registration and insurance). The CT registration was the processed after delivery I believe, and I got my CT plates/registration form some weeks later in the mail, which showed the same amount of CT sales tax as the dealer had collected.

With you both living and taking delivery in CA, it should be easier. The only issues I’ve seen reported come from people taking delivery at PEC LA but then taking the car to their out of state residence, and dealing with CA wanting their cut... No such issues with Georgia.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I live in NY, bought/ordered from a dealer in GA, and had Atlanta PEC delivery. This was in the fall of 2017.

The GA dealer did NOT collect any tax, and sent a temporary plate (good for 21 days, I recall) to Atlanta PEC. My wife and I drove the car back to NY, and a week or two after arriving home registered the car at a NY DMV office, at which time I paid the NY sales tax.

I don't know if any of this is relevant to your situation, but that's my data point.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
I have bought multiple cars from LA dealerships while living in Vegas, each time I paid Vegas sales tax at the time of purchase and was provided temporary registration. I had 0 issues on at least 5 purchases, 3 times driving the cars back and the last 2 delivered. You definitely pay sales tax based on the city/state where the car will be registered.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Almost on topic.....

I once bought a car in MI --- to drive back to PA for reg'n.
As we are saying here , not every state has reciprocity for tax purposes.

Nice new Maserati QP.....
cruising along minding my own business, enjoying the drive

Pull in for gas and about 4-5 State Trooper vehicles zero in on me like NCIS Miami.
Guns drawn.... calling me by name.... asking if I had my gun w/ me (I was licensed in PA)

why?
When I was leaving the dealer, they gave me the temporary tags- paper & tape.

Not on your life with this car...say I
Just screw those PA plates from my trade on this car.

Oh no, Sir... wouldn't to that....
Yeah, well I would....

On they went.

It seems a Federal vehicle slid up behind me on the highway and out of curiosity they must have searched the plates
Expecting somebody famous... certainly not me !!
Of course the plates read X-Terra....daughter's car
STOLEN VEHICLE HERE !!

and the nabbed me.

Splayed up against the car , frisked heavily...
and then they ask for proof of ownership, have you got any ???

You bet I do - just bought the car 2 hrs ago

Try finding your paperwork with guns pointed at you

Anyway,
that's a warning if you try to beat the system...

Memorable - to say the least

·
Registered
944 Posts
I reside in SC, I placed my order from a FL Dealer, had an Atlanta PEC Delivery.

SC Caps sales tax @ $500 per vehicle regardless of what the actual final selling price is, so they collected $500 for that from me, a transfer of tags IIRC is $15 and a title is also $15.

My total cost to register my 2019 GTS was $530..............I can only imagine what your costs will be in CA..........probably north of $10k or more.

Good Luck, the process for us in SC is very easy, we have reciprocity with a lot of states, I would never buy a thing out of CA, they would want me to pay CA a huge amount in sales tax unless I had it shipped out of that state on a transporter, and even then if the sale was in CA they still might want their money anyways.

GOOD LUCK !!

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Almost on topic.....

Memorable - to say the least
Holy crap! That's a scary story! A college friend has something similar happen to his sister & her boyfriend back when we were all in college. They were driving in a rental car & got pulled over with guns aimed at them & instructions to slowly get out of the car & lay down on the road. It turned out that some fugitive had switched license plates with the car they were driving somewhere along the way & the cops saw the wanted plates & realized that the plates didn't match the car.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
My friend had a rental - Seattle to Vancouver/Whistler and back.

Had been reported stolen by Hertz but never been lifted... as recovered.

So much time at the border - he missed his flight
Same game... a suspected thief

Plates/Reg'n are not to be taken lightly

1 - 20 of 60 Posts