Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One can find high mileage (>80K miles), single owner, no accidents Macans S's for under $30K. If the car is out of warranty and has not ever had a transfer case, oil leak, or transmission issue, is it likely that one of those items is due to fail and one has to plan for those imminent repair costs in the purchase decision?

I suppose an option would be to get a third party (non-Porsche) warranty. Does anyone have experience with National Warranty Service or any other 3rd party?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
If owners were regularly seeing expensive repairs to high mileage Macans, you would not see them holding their value so well. The market magically adjusts, although of course no one can claim there's no risk.

And there are some repairs that could be so expensive it would not make sense to undertake them. But that could be said about the majority of cars with 80k+ miles.

For example we also own a 2011 X5 with the V8 engine. The problems with these engines are well documented and widespread enough to the point our car is worth less than a 6 cylinder example. And the V8 was a $10k upgrade when new.

·
Registered
192 Posts
One can find high mileage (>80K miles), single owner, no accidents Macans S's for under $30K. If the car is out of warranty and has not ever had a transfer case, oil leak, or transmission issue, is it likely that one of those items is due to fail and one has to plan for those imminent repair costs in the purchase decision?

I suppose an option would be to get a third party (non-Porsche) warranty. Does anyone have experience with National Warranty Service or any other 3rd party?

Thanks in advance!
Looks like there is one CPO Macan in the entire U.S. with 80k+ miles. Porsche Towson, 88k miles, asking $38k, Turbo with original MSRP of $87k.

Could be interesting for someone who drives a boatload of miles as you get a 2 year unlimited mile warranty with relatively few exclusions.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
@cooljellow if you are seriously looking at a this car get a PPI from a Porsche mechanic. They can go over the vehicle and help give you a yes or no on buying the car. Not all. Macan’s have had transfer or oil leak problems. An inspection by a qualified mechanic out to help you with this decision.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I would certainly have a PPI done on any potential used car for purchase. I was mostly wondering whether a Macan with > 80K miles is almost certain to need a high-cost repair for an item expected to fail within a certain number of miles.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I would certainly have a PPI done on any potential used car for purchase. I was mostly wondering whether a Macan with > 80K miles is almost certain to need a high-cost repair for an item expected to fail within a certain number of miles.
Check out the thread (anyone with some high mileage) in the search . You’ll find some owners with mileage beyond the car your looking at.

·
Registered
952 Posts
There's a few other things which can be done to minimize the potential (to an extent) of getting burned. Get a Carfax AND Autocheck. Analyze them carefully. Look for WHERE the car was registered during its life by city and state. If from up north think salted roads. If from Florida or Houston, potential flooding from storms/hurricanes.

Next, stop by a Porsche dealership with the VIN. Have them print out all services/repairs ever done. Look for big ticket repairs and multiple returns for the same issue.

And as already stated, a PPI. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
We picked up a 2015 S from a Chicago independent dealer with 70k miles, has 129k now. Had the transfer case jerkiness, changed out the fluid and that fixed it. No other issues, everything still works exactly as it should despite all the buttons and features. No rattles, nothing. Amazingly reliable for a first gen model.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If it's been well looked after and has service documentation to back it up I would not hesitate to buy one with higher miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There's a few other things which can be done to minimize the potential (to an extent) of getting burned. Get a Carfax AND Autocheck. Analyze them carefully. Look for WHERE the car was registered during its life by city and state. If from up north think salted roads. If from Florida or Houston, potential flooding from storms/hurricanes.

Next, stop by a Porsche dealership with the VIN. Have them print out all services/repairs ever done. Look for big ticket repairs and multiple returns for the same issue.

And as already stated, a PPI. Hope this helps.
Thanks! Yes, all very good considerations, which I plan to do :). Certain cars have "weak" points which tend to fail over time - I'm reading the threads here to see if there are big ticket items I can expect from a used high-mileage Macan out of warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We picked up a 2015 S from a Chicago independent dealer with 70k miles, has 129k now. Had the transfer case jerkiness, changed out the fluid and that fixed it. No other issues, everything still works exactly as it should despite all the buttons and features. No rattles, nothing. Amazingly reliable for a first gen model.
If you don't mind me asking, what is the cost of that fix? And what would be the cost out of warranty for a transfer case repair/replacement?

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what is the cost of that fix? And what would be the cost out of warranty for a transfer case repair/replacement?
Transfer case is about $2-3K job. Changing the fluid is probably $2-300 as a quart of the fluid is expensive.
If you choose to go this route with a Macan just be ready to self fund some repair at some point. Stay away from dealer servicing. If money is an issue I would just buy a new Outback an enjoy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Transfer case is about $2-3K job. Changing the fluid is probably $2-300 as a quart of the fluid is expensive.
If you choose to go this route with a Macan just be ready to self fund some repair at some point. Stay away from dealer servicing. If money is an issue I would just buy a new Outback an enjoy.
Money isn't necessarily an issue (my weekend car is an R8) - I just want to make an informed decision about potential maintenance costs :)

I'm looking to replace my BMW 530i as the DD.

·
Registered
59 Posts
No. If it were "almost certain" the used market for such cars would tank and they'd almost be giving them away. With any higher-mileage used-car, there is a small (but real) chance of needing a high-dollar repair. While Porsche isn't like Toyota or Honda in the "exceptional reliability" sphere, the Macan so far has held value fairly well and is fairly good for a German car in terms of long-term reliance. Certainly more reliable than your weekend car. :) My brother has an R8, and that car is quite a pain to work on. The Macan almost certainly will be better than that. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
No. If it were "almost certain" the used market for such cars would tank and they'd almost be giving them away. With any higher-mileage used-car, there is a small (but real) chance of needing a high-dollar repair. While Porsche isn't like Toyota or Honda in the "exceptional reliability" sphere, the Macan so far has held value fairly well and is fairly good for a German car in terms of long-term reliance. Certainly more reliable than your weekend car. :) My brother has an R8, and that car is quite a pain to work on. The Macan almost certainly will be better than that. :)
My criteria for a DD is quite different than a weekend car ;-). I will expect to put a lot more miles on daily driver, hence it will need to be more reliable from that perspective.

As an example of what I was inquiring about, the R8's magnetic suspension is known to be a weak point that will fail at some point (typically less than 60K miles). It is a relatively high cost item, as the 2 pairs will cost about $8000.

·
Registered
952 Posts
As with any European car they're very expensive to repair as well as maintain. BMW, Mercedes and Porsche are your big ones. The higher-priced spread with the Audi line are right there as well. A warranty only covers so much. The rest comes out of your pocket. Pick wisely. And make sure to do your homework on any purchase. GL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts