Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking at a used 2016 Macan S with approx 30k miles on it. However, it's a private sale and no longer in warranty so I'm assuming I won't be able to get the CPO with it. It appears to be in mint condition and has had the transfer case replaced recently (transfer case is under warranty). Just wondering about any other potential issues these vehicles may be prone to/if it would be a safe purchase. As well as anyone's experience/knowledge about the long term reliability of these (do they typically reach 150k miles?). I don't know anyone else with a porsche so didn't know where else to ask.

Thanks,

·
Registered
26 Posts
My wife's GTS is about to hit 30k and we just had the timing chain cover repair done, that would be the other big one to check. Her transfer case had already been done. Local dealer says Porsche has been really good about taking care of timing covers even for those not under warranty anymore. Otherwise in my limited experience with the Macan everything I've read says they are really reliable.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Hi, I'm looking at a used 2016 Macan S with approx 30k miles on it. However, it's a private sale and no longer in warranty so I'm assuming I won't be able to get the CPO with it. It appears to be in mint condition and has had the transfer case replaced recently (transfer case is under warranty). Just wondering about any other potential issues these vehicles may be prone to/if it would be a safe purchase. As well as anyone's experience/knowledge about the long term reliability of these (do they typically reach 150k miles?). I don't know anyone else with a porsche so didn't know where else to ask.

Thanks,
Personally, I wouldn't do it, because there are a lot of expensive things that can go wrong, and I'm somewhat risk averse (but a Macan owner, nevertheless, because they're so much fun to drive!). OTOH, @dg108 has some good points, above.

What I'd suggest is that you check out National Preowned Porsche and look at the price ranges for similar cars, in terms of, say, '16 S and about the same mileage, CPO and not CPO. If your private sale comes in significantly lower than comparable cars, then I suppose you're sort of banking the difference for potential repairs.

Last, I've read a lot on this forum, in the three years or so that I've been reading it, about pre-sale inspections by competent, Porsche-knowledgeable, mechanics. If you can find one -- and I am not at all familiar with this process -- that, too, seems to me to be money well invested (I'm guessing such an inspection costs several hundred dollars, er, loonies, for you metric folks up north). That is, unless the seller is your next door neighbor, and you're familiar with the his or her driving habits, the maintenance history of the car, etc.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks dg108, I'll inquire about the timing chain repair!

wspollack, thanks! I'm seeing about a 5000-8000 dollar price difference between the one I'm looking at and similar CPO certified vehicles.

If you guys don't mind me asking, how pricy are maintenance/repairs generally? Is there some sort of price list I could find? Everyone always tells me it's expensive..just not how expensive. Like am I looking at multiple thousands every time I go into a repair shop?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts

wspollack, thanks! I'm seeing about a 5000-8000 dollar price difference between the one I'm looking at and similar CPO certified vehicles.

If you guys don't mind me asking, how pricy are maintenance/repairs generally? Is there some sort of price list I could find? Everyone always tells me it's expensive..just not how expensive. Like am I looking at multiple thousands every time I go into a repair shop?
There a few threads on this. Here are a couple of good ones, to get you started:

·
Registered
9 Posts

Thanks,

Hi,

I am exactly in the same boat, Im about to buy a Macan S from 2016 with 30k miles as well. Im getting it checked at a Porsche center and let them perform the 111 points test in order to get Porsche approved guarantee again. Maybe that's an option for you too?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’d be curious to hear what people are paying for 16 Macan S’s with 30-35k on them on the private market. Anyone care to disclose?

·
Registered
27 Posts

It's a Porsche........nothing is cheap.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Get the brake wear checked. Thats going to be about 2200 for all four. Bushings - that 2,000. Check all the switches, replacing one will run about 175. This is of course if you go to the dealer.

The 40k service it a huge chunk of money depending on where you go. 1800 and up.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I’d be curious to hear what people are paying for 16 Macan S’s with 30-35k on them on the private market. Anyone care to disclose?
I paid 35k. That was 39,000 miles and with the CPO. I have carbon fiber and larger wheels. Backup camera but no lane change assist (i didnt want that anyway) 14 way seats or whatever.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought a 2016 Macan S in July of last year CPO'd from a local dealer in the SF Bay Area. Am very glad I got the extended warranty. Mileage was about 32K at purchase.I've written about his on other threads, but at approximately 40K miles I found an oil leak that was diagnosed as the timing chain cover. Bolts sheer off because they're over-torqued at the factory. $5K if you're not covered by the warranty. From all my research, this is a substantial problem effecting a large number of Macan S vehicles up to and including the current model year. Also, I've been told the factory warranty starts from the date of manufacture, not date of purchase. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't buy a Macan without the warranty extension.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I bought a 2016 Macan S in July of last year CPO'd from a local dealer in the SF Bay Area. Am very glad I got the extended warranty. Mileage was about 32K at purchase.I've written about his on other threads, but at approximately 40K miles I found an oil leak that was diagnosed as the timing chain cover. Bolts sheer off because they're over-torqued at the factory. $5K if you're not covered by the warranty. From all my research, this is a substantial problem effecting a large number of Macan S vehicles up to and including the current model year. Also, I've been told the factory warranty starts from the date of manufacture, not date of purchase. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't buy a Macan without the warranty extension.
Warranty starts at date of purchase (first owner).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi,

I am exactly in the same boat, Im about to buy a Macan S from 2016 with 30k miles as well. Im getting it checked at a Porsche center and let them perform the 111 points test in order to get Porsche approved guarantee again. Maybe that's an option for you too?
In addition, review the vehicle's history on both Carfax & Autocheck which should include ownership & where it was serviced; Review the complete maintenance history records & ensure they were performed preferably by a dealership or a reputable shop. The Macan may have been taken to the shop numerous times on the same issue & it keeps recurring.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Also, look for a CPO private sale because the warranty's transferable. When it's traded to a dealership, the warranty is voided.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I got my 17 macan s CPO last year mid dec. So far I’ve had, both headlights replaced, both taillights replaced, two window regulators replaced, intermediate drive shaft replaced, transfer case replaced. Everything under warranty. I paid a lot for my car, since it was from the dealership and is heavily optioned, but I would say the CPO has paid for it self at this point.
However, someone asked how much Porsche maintenance is, I had the front brake rotors and pads serviced and when I got the bill. It was like nothing I have seen before. This is my first porsche, I have had many BMWs and a few Audi’s in the past. And I was shocked. I will go to my Indy when the rear rotor need to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
I paid 35k. That was 39,000 miles and with the CPO. I have carbon fiber and larger wheels. Backup camera but no lane change assist (i didnt want that anyway) 14 way seats or whatever.
Why would you not "want "Lane Change Assist" ? Did you know it has an on/off switch?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts