Porsche Macan Forum banner

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
What pads and rotors were each using?
IDK but I'm sure Porsche uses genuine OEM Porsche parts.

I would assume the Porsche specialty Indy shops do as well but, good point, it pays to ask.

If an Indy shop wanted to quote lower than Porsche dealer (& they all knew I was comparing them to dealer) I would assume they would possibly use cheaper aftermarket parts to lower their quote to get my business.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Maybe you already know this / checked this, but the tire wear on lots of more sporty vehicles happens on the very very inside of the rear tires for various camber/suspension reasons. Can't tell you how many people have told me their tires were crap because they had plenty of tread left but the tire blew, then it turns out you could see the cords on the inside edge of the rear tire.

Just saying I know a lot of people who've gotten stranded because they routinely checked tread depth or wear bars, but didn't know to check the inside edge wear on the rears - it can look very deceiving because the wear shows as tread trailing off near the edge which doesn't instantly look wrong.
You are spot on with this. I noticed that on one of my S4 rear summer tires last month when I changed them over. I even took the car to the shop for an alignment afterward, thinking something was out of whack, but they said it was pretty much within specs. Fortunately, I didn't have a blow-out, but I would have never discovered it if I hadn't taken them off, since the tread still showed some life. Will be more vigilant from now on.

Reactions: Gruss Gott

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not something I have ever noticed. My death tires that I just removed appear to have worn evenly.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just booked an appt on the 2nd week of Dec for 20K miles oil change at Porsche Grapevine. I was about to call a reputable Indy shop around my area, but decided to stick with my dealer since they quote me for $264. Looking at Suncoastparts, if I got the oil and filter myself it would cost me around $100, plus shipping. I guess for me $264 is a reasonable price for an oil change. Maybe I can use my PCA membership for an additional 10% off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You are spot on with this. I noticed that on one of my S4 rear summer tires last month when I changed them over. I even took the car to the shop for an alignment afterward, thinking something was out of whack, but they said it was pretty much within specs. Fortunately, I didn't have a blow-out, but I would have never discovered it if I hadn't taken them off, since the tread still showed some life. Will be more vigilant from now on.
Not something I have ever noticed. My death tires that I just removed appear to have worn evenly.
It depends on the camber/suspension of the vehicle, the power distribution, and how much of a hooligan you are: if the vehicle is set up for high speed cornering, and you're game for a little hooning when the opportunity pops up, you're gonna wear that inside rear tire tread pretty dang fast.

It doesn't even take much if you have an S4, M3, 911, etc and a mildly heavy accelerator foot in the corners (not enough macan experience to say); after 10 months or so, depending on the rubber, get a flashlight and get under the rear end every few weeks.

Which, btw, is a good motto for life in general.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I just booked an appt on the 2nd week of Dec for 20K miles oil change at Porsche Grapevine. I was about to call a reputable Indy shop around my area, but decided to stick with my dealer since they quote me for $264. Looking at Suncoastparts, if I got the oil and filter myself it would cost me around $100, plus shipping. I guess for me $264 is a reasonable price for an oil change. Maybe I can use my PCA membership for an additional 10% off.
R - Grapevine is great about oil changes.... they are within about $25-50 of Indys. Again, it helps me because I live so close to them. I have my 60K coming up, and trying to debate where... diff is about $300 in what I want done (I’m doing a la cart). Still need to call Mayo as well and get a quote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Possible Macan base owner here.

Reading this and other suggested threads it really sounds like maintenance cost come down to some level of personal choice. Some people go DIY. Some do everything and some pick and choose. I fall into DIY/pick-choose. I regularly tell Toyota (‘15 4Runner Limited) and Lexus (‘19 ES300h) to take their $60 cabin airfilter or 30k diff fluids changes and shove it in their tailpipe.

I’ve been trying to find the Macan service schedule but only see dealer suggestions. Is there an archive or site that specs everything out.

I haven’t changed plugs at 40k in 20+ years and break flush at 20k .... come on. These sound like service specs for Ohlins shocks. Tires ... that is all down to personal driving. Is Porsche assuming every day is a track day????

·
Registered
972 Posts
Possible Macan base owner here.

Reading this and other suggested threads it really sounds like maintenance cost come down to some level of personal choice. Some people go DIY. Some do everything and some pick and choose. I fall into DIY/pick-choose. I regularly tell Toyota (‘15 4Runner Limited) and Lexus (‘19 ES300h) to take their $60 cabin airfilter or 30k diff fluids changes and shove it in their tailpipe.

I’ve been trying to find the Macan service schedule but only see dealer suggestions. Is there an archive or site that specs everything out.

I haven’t changed plugs at 40k in 20+ years and break flush at 20k .... come on. These sound like service specs for Ohlins shocks. Tires ... that is all down to personal driving. Is Porsche assuming every day is a track day????
Pretty much agree with your first sentence. I do my own filters; those are easy. Mid-aged and a bad back keeps me from doing oil changes these days... would rather just pay to have someone do it. Major stuff? Well, the overall premise is, Porsches CAN be expensive. Most will tell you, one of the keys to avoiding something major is to stay on top of regular maintenance, because if you don’t, and THEN end up with a major repair, it’s generally rather expensive (even when using an Indy). Soooo, not sure what you want to hear. Can you DIY on a Macan? Of course you can. Are the parts (in general) more expensive than a Toyota? Yup. Is it more expensive to use the dealer over other brands? Yup. Can using an Indy save you a little... yup. Some guys tires have only lasted 20K; some have lasted around 40K. Too many factors going into that one.

Still not making sense? Look up “the Porsche tax” and read on. None of us, no matter how much we complain, can change it. However, it’s still just a “car" at the end of the day. Want to save the most money, then DIY is the path to choose.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
At 71 with 5 lumbar surgeries, oil/filter changes every 5k. Blades. Micro filter. Brakes. Plugs.

Fluid changes and brake bleeds I let them do. I don’t want anyone touching my Porsche.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Here are the relevant pages from the Maintenance booklet that came with the Owner's Manual, etc., when our 2018 S was delivered to us (at PEC, Atlanta). Click to download a four-page PDF file:

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here are the relevant pages from the Maintenance booklet that came with the Owner's Manual, etc., when our 2018 S was delivered to us (at PEC, Atlanta). Click to download a four-page PDF file:
Thank you .... I'm surprised the schedule is rather general.

People talk about not asking for a 10k service but rather an oil change and nothing else.

Does Porsche service normally change for all the 'checks' called out in the service schedule? My only reference is dealing with Toy/Lex services.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just came from my dealership for my 1 year oil change and inspection sticker $417. SMH. I do not put that many miles on the car, only 7.8k miles for the year almost at 20k miles, bought it with around 11.2k miles, however, Jesus that is a lot of money for an oil change.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thank goodness we are past the 3,000 mile oil change intervals.
:)
Some people change oil ever 5,000 miles. When I had an BMW E90 3 series, it was the beginning of synthetic oil gaining popularity (along with really crappy 1st generation run flat tires), so I was brainwashed by the dealership to do it every 5,000 miles, if I didn't have my CPO warranty on the Macan to uphold I would do the oil change every 15-18 months or exactly at 10k miles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
if I didn't have my CPO warranty on the Macan to uphold I would do the oil change every 15-18 months or exactly at 10k miles.
interesting comment about the CPO warranty. I got burned with my ‘09 jeep wrangler. It had a lifetime powertrain warranty however they sent the check up notice to an old address and I never did the check in. That voided my lifetime warranty and I had to live with a chipped Synkro in first gear for about 50,000 miles until I sold it. After that and several other run ins with Fiat Chrysler service, I will never own another jeep or Chrysler product again. Sorry about the rant.

If I have a Macan on CPO, does that mean I also have to get the service at Porsche in order to keep the warranty up?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think it depends my Macan S is heavily modded and quite obvious. My dealership didn't bat an eye when they changed the transfer case or replaced my headlights. And assumably saw the mods on my vehicle. I remove the COBB ECU tune when taking it in, but Magnuson- Moss, the onus is on the dealership to prove that your mods directly correlated to the issue on your vehicle.
Just curious , did they replace your headlights due to the delamination/ micro cracking under a cpo warr.? I ran into this and local dealer said denied . Contacted pcna which throws the car washes etc can cause it . I got no where fast .

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just curious , did they replace your headlights due to the delamination/ micro cracking under a cpo warr.? I ran into this and local dealer said denied . Contacted pcna which throws the car washes etc can cause it . I got no where fast .
Why yes that is exactly how I got my headlights got replaced. Only the Right driver side headlight xenox had the micro cracking close to the headlight washer, however the dealership stated, "You know what? We'll change both of them for you to new ones under warranty." Which then I forgot to tell them I changed my cornering lights to newer brighter white ones, so I had to buy another set of cornering lights, since the OEM ones I think are too dim.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Which then I forgot to tell them I changed my cornering lights to newer brighter white ones, so I had to buy another set of cornering lights, since the OEM ones I think are too dim.
Which brighter bulbs did you use? Sounds like an excellent idea.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I guess I was curious if going to independent dealer would cost about the same or more or less than $5k for 5 years.

Major costly items I can see is
brake flush
Spark plug
Transmission flush
Rest is just oil service.
The need of a brake flush is determined by moisture in the fluid, buy a $10 gauge from AMA
zon and check it,I had NO moisture so I did not change the fluid.
the plugs are Platinum
should go 100K
if car runs fine, MPG is the same u don’t need plugs.
also ask the dealer if any service affects the fluid warranty, if not think twice before doing it.
don’t no about trans flush.
cabin filter, $20 15 minute job with U tube.
also I call every dealer in town for a $ and to see if they have any coupons.
I get a list of everything they want to do.

101 - 120 of 134 Posts