Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Had anyone tried to install Macan S rotors and Macan S calipers on a base Macan?
Hello and welcome to the group.

I don't recall anyone posting that they have accomplished this yet. Initial appearances are that it is not a simple swap between the Base and the S. A brake swap between the S and the Turbo, however, is relatively straight forward and has been done.
The thread link below contains some earlier discussion on your question.

https://www.macanforum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/164612-macan-s-caliper-base-model.html

Reactions: MDJAK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, missed this post when I was doing my search. If it was an easy swap someone would have done it, looks like it is not. Getting ready to purchase a Macan, and trying to look at all the options.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
There are likely more cost-efficient ways to upgrade other than changing out for Porsche S brakes
As long as you're going to spend the money, I'll bet that TireRack can give you some ideas (regardless of whether you ultimately decide to purchase from them)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thanks, missed this post when I was doing my search. If it was an easy swap someone would have done it, looks like it is not. Getting ready to purchase a Macan, and trying to look at all the options.
If brakes are important get GTS or facelifted S - they have the same size brakes.
Brakes on the base model and on pre-facelifted S felt soft to me when I test drove them.

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
I wonder if it's possible to go from Turbo brakes to Turbo PP brakes
Looks doable based on a quick look at the parts catalog. Would need new calipers, rotors, pads, clips, etc. at a minimum. Probably around $1800 - $2000 USD in parts, and then add installation.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Interestingly enough, the existing Macan brakes are considered a big improvement over on the Audi forum, where I see a lot of S4 owners upgrading front brakes to the Macan/Q5/SQ5 caliper set-up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am upgrading from an old S4 (B5) which has excellent brakes and was not real impressed with either the base Macan or the S. Have the read the reviews that suggest the breaks are much better on the new (2019) cars. I saw one when I was in Stuttgart over Christmas and they do look good. May just wait till this summer.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I am upgrading from an old S4 (B5) which has excellent brakes and was not real impressed with either the base Macan or the S. Have the read the reviews that suggest the breaks are much better on the new (2019) cars. I saw one when I was in Stuttgart over Christmas and they do look good. May just wait till this summer.
Test drive 2017-2018 GTS - they are available, no need to wait.
2019 S will have the same size breaks as 2017-2018 GTS.
I don't think 2019 base comes with upgraded breaks.

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
Pads and clips are the same.
Interesting.....I wouldn't have guessed that was the case, but indeed they are the same for the larger brakes on the Turbo. The pads are only different if upgrading the Macan S brakes to Turbo or TurboPP brakes. That being the case, do you recall noticing any change in brake pedal feel, or braking responsiveness after the conversion to the larger rotors?
Bet they look nice, regardless. Well done!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Interesting.....I wouldn't have guessed that was the case, but indeed they are the same for the larger brakes. That being the case, do you recall noticing any change in brake pedal feel, or braking responsiveness after the conversion to the larger rotors?
Bet they look nice, regardless. Well done!
Nah, I haven't felt any difference in brake response, etc. I put them mostly for occasional track use and for more piece of a mind when I do very aggressive braking - bigger rotor dissipate heat better, etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts