Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
That is a great question. I know for sure mine did 17 psi when I picked it up about 2 months ago, then all of a sudden stopped hitting anything over 13psi. There is a new GTS at my dealership, I think I’m going to go test drive it tomorrow.
Take your smart phone and have someone hold the phone, pointed at the gauges, while you perform some scientific research on behalf of this community. We thank you.

·
Registered
505 Posts
How do we know if the new GTS with the 2.9l actually does more than 13psi anyway? Maybe it's just the old 3.0l that was 17psi?
Agreed - many of us are thinking posts 15 and 16 from this thread point to 17psi for the 2021 GTS:

Plus this article:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Agreed - many of us are thinking posts 15 and 16 from this thread point to 17psi for the 2021 GTS:

Plus this article:
It would stand to reason that if this many people are seeing only 13psi on the gauge, the gauge is either wrong, the quoted pressures are wrong, or we all have the same problems.

I'm not out that often (given covid) but when I'm out next I'm going to hook up my Autel scanner and log the MAP pressures as reported to the ECU and see what it's actually reading. I'm still guessing the gauge is the limiting factor, on my old Speed 3, it had a small segmented boost gauge in the dash that only went to something like 15psi no matter how much boost the car was actually making...I suspect the same thing is happening here. The reason I always heard on the Mazda was so that nobody would complain that their car wasn't making full boost, no matter the conditions it would always report full boost. This is the same with the old coolant temp "gauges" where they weren't really showing true temp fluctuations.

·
Banned
618 Posts
I filled my tires with analogue gauge today and the car gauge has been showing the PSI all over the place. Chances are Porsche uses same random number generator for boost pressure.

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
I filled my tires with analogue gauge today and the car gauge has been showing the PSI all over the place. Chances are Porsche uses same random number generator for boost pressure.
Sounds like your Macan's TPMS sensors are on their way out...

As far as turbo boost pressures, in my Turbo the gauge typically reads 0. Only when I push it do I see it move to non-zero values.

What does it take to get a reading of 17? Where do people floor the pedal?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Sounds like your Macan's TPMS sensors are on their way out...

As far as turbo boost pressures, in my Turbo the gauge typically reads 0. Only when I push it do I see it move to non-zero values.

What does it take to get a reading of 17? Where do people floor the pedal?
Getting on the highway, on a back road with no one around, passing, etc.

If you almost never get into boost, why did you buy the Turbo? Might as well have saved your money and gotten a base model.

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
Getting on the highway, on a back road with no one around, passing, etc.

If you almost never get into boost, why did you buy the Turbo? Might as well have saved your money and gotten a base model.
Yes, passing. I've floored it a few times to overtake other vehicles - typically multiple vehicles - though on a two lane road.
My focus has been on watching for oncoming vehicles and safely completing the pass as quickly as possible, so I cannot
recall ever looking down to see what the boost pressure was.

:unsure:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yes, passing. I've floored it a few times to overtake other vehicles - typically multiple vehicles - though on a two lane road.
My focus has been on watching for oncoming vehicles and safely completing the pass as quickly as possible, so I cannot
recall ever looking down to see what the boost pressure was.

:unsure:
Do not attempt. Professional driver on a closed course.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Where do people floor the pedal?
I've found the safest and most opportune place to floor the car for a bit is when getting back on a lightly occupied Interstate highway from a rest stop/gas-fillup place. Typically a nice long, typically straight, acceleration lane, and the car is already warmed up.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I was responding to Ogin....."typically reading 0"
Unless I'm putting my foot in it, my GTS does the same (typically reads 0). I have to go past about the halfway point on the accelerator in order for boost to show up on the gauge.

·
Registered
19 Posts
OK - you guys can all call me King Drama now. I swear my turbo boost used to read 17psi. I have no proof of that, but here is what I do know. My dealer has a brand new GTS on the lot. So, I went yesterday and test drove it. It drives identical as my GTS, same power, same acceleration, etc... AND the turbo boost maxes out at 13 psi. So, all of this drama for nothing. Whether there is a software update changing the psi display or I was crazy to think it was ever 17psi doesn't matter to me. What matters is that my car and the brand new one are performing consistently.

·
Registered
197 Posts
^ You're not alone on 13 psi. Can't seem to reproduce it above 13 psi, it remains 0 for most part until turbo boost kicked in. Used to see it higher during delivery, I could also mistaken that with oil pressure psi between 3rd (oil) and 4th (turbo) psi gauge icon initially. It drops from some value back down to 0 in blink of second unless capture it from video cam.

Not sure if there is difference between software updates, current software version on mine for reference:
Software Version: P2656
Hardware Version: H056

The bottom line is that GTS still drives and pulls strong and consistently!

Someone with MY2020/MY2021 Turbo model can cross check if it shows higher Turbo Boost psi than 13 psi?

·
Registered
197 Posts
@Run Buh did the software/hardware version update mentioned in this thread makes any difference on the Turbo boost 13 psi?
Software Version: P2834
Hardware Version: H058
Map: 2021.3

I didn't receive letter on software upgrade, the automatic OTA map was updated to 2021.3. Both software/hardware version might require update at the dealer.
Mine remained in these versions:

·
Registered
505 Posts
@Run Buh did the software/hardware version update mentioned in this thread makes any difference on the Turbo boost 13 psi?
Software Version: P2834
Hardware Version: H058

I didn't receive letter on software upgrade, the automatic OTA map was updated to 2021.3. Both software/hardware version might require update at the dealer.
Mine remained in these versions:
The software update takes you to version 2841 (per markoware). I have not gotten the update, and probably won't until I take it in for its first oil change. My reading of the letter makes me think it's focused on PCM software and nothing else.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts