Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
So, I'm still driving a base Macan loaner. They have had my GTS for 2 full days, today is day 3. They are confused. They can see that it is limiting at 13psi, but can't seem to figure out why. There is another GTS on the lot and the service guy drove it yesterday and could see a higher boost. One interesting thing is in their internal diagnostic and data system (Porsche systems) there is not values shown on what the turbo boost should be, so they are still trying to get that information. I saw recently someone post (somewhere I can't find through search in this forum) a simple spreadsheet comparing the boost pressure for the GTS vs Turbo. Do any of you have that available? I'd like to share this with the service department.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
So, I'm still driving a base Macan loaner. They have had my GTS for 2 full days, today is day 3. They are confused. They can see that it is limiting at 13psi, but can't seem to figure out why. There is another GTS on the lot and the service guy drove it yesterday and could see a higher boost. One interesting thing is in their internal diagnostic and data system (Porsche systems) there is not values shown on what the turbo boost should be, so they are still trying to get that information. I saw recently someone post (somewhere I can't find through search in this forum) a simple spreadsheet comparing the boost pressure for the GTS vs Turbo. Do any of you have that available? I'd like to share this with the service department.
This MIGHT be the thread you're thinking of, from six months ago. Post #15 has a boost comparison (although I don't understand the number range listed):

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
Since other forum members are reporting the same boost values, perhaps there is really no problem at all? Wouldn't Porsche itself
be the "go to" source for discovering what the factory intended/designed/engineered boost values are?

Further, your Macan is in the break-in period.

...recommend @wspollack share his search technique with @DBTulsa for future investigative reference procedures...

Good luck!

ATTENTION @DBTulsa: Read all of the posts in the following two threads (in the second URL, particularly rules #10 and #12):

AND, I am merging this thread with the existing thread on the same topic!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Since other forum members are reporting the same boot values, perhaps ther is really no problem at all? Wouldn't Porsche itself
be the "go to" source for discovering what the factory intended/designed/engineered boost values are?

Further, your Macan is in the break-in period.

...recommend @wspollack share his search technique with @DBTulsa for future investigative reference procedures...

Good luck!

ATTENTION @DBTulsa: Read all of the posts in the following two threads (in the second URL, particularly rules #10 and #12):

AND, I am merging this thread with the existing thread on the same topic!
Thanks for merging.

Note: OP Is OUTSIDE the break-in period

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for your response, it’s always good to have helpful moderators. As I mentioned I did search, I found some similar issues within the threads of posts but there were no solutions in any of the threads. I understand the logic of saying maybe there isn’t an issue, but there is. The dealer can tell there is an issue, just can’t figure out why it’s occurring. The difference in boost pressure between GTS and Turbo is less than 2%, giving the turbo significant hp increases. Imagine what it feels like driving the GTS with 4lbs less turbo boost. It drives more like an S than a GTS. I will study up on the rules.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
@DBTulsa , @[email protected]>@W, et al.:

Well, I entered this in a dubbya dubbya dubbya dot Google dot com search box (actually, in the URL field in the browser I was using, because I have Google set as its default search engine):

boost pressure for the GTS vs Turbo inurl:macanforum.com

The thread "Macan .2 GTS and Turbo Specs Comparison | Porsche Macan ..." was the tenth result.

By contrast, if you enter boost pressure for the GTS vs Turbo in the Search Community box on the forum, it is the 96th entry in the results.

I generally find that using Google straight out of the box, i.e., in a stand-alone manner (regardless of whether or not its search engine is embedded in a forum's software) returns more germane results. That inurl: bit is the way to tell Google to confine its results to a given domain. Of course, this means that: 1) you can't get hits on posts that were made, say, today, and; 2) you surrender yet more of your privacy to Google.

Your search engine may vary.

·
Registered
505 Posts

Well, I entered this in a dubba dubba dubba Google dot com search box (actually, in the URL field in the browser I was using, because I have Google set as its default search engine):

The thread "Macan .2 GTS and Turbo Specs Comparison | Porsche Macan ..." was the tenth result.

By contrast, if you enter boost pressure for the GTS vs Turbo in the Search Community box on the forum, it is the 96th entry in the results.

I generally find that using Google straight out of the box, i.e., in a stand-alone manner (regardless of whether or not its search engine is embedded in a forum's software) returns more germane results. That inurl: bit is the way to tell Google to confine its results to a given domain. Of course, this means that: 1) you can't get hits on posts that were made, say, today, and; 2) you surrender yet more of your privacy to Google.

Use duckduckgo. It's just a front end for Google that helps you keep your privacy. Supposedly.

boost pressure for the GTS vs Turbo inurl:macanforum.com at DuckDuckGo

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for merging.

Note: OP Is OUTSIDE the break-in period
Thanks for the clarification

Well, I entered this in a dubba dubba dubba Google dot com search box (actually, in the URL field in the browser I was using, because I have Google set as its default search engine):

thats an awesome tip! Thank you.

·
Registered
363 Posts
FYI, got 0.9 bar which is equal to 13psi...but again, it's right at the top of the bar graph, so probably the same rendering problem. Next step is scanner next time I'm out for a drive.

·
Super Moderator
3,102 Posts
...or simply in a Google tab:

macanforum < string to search for >​

Obviously, you do not use the angle bracket characters (<, >), they're indicating the argument string to provide.

;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for your response, it’s always good to have helpful moderators. As I mentioned I did search, I found some similar issues within the threads of posts but there were no solutions in any of the threads. I understand the logic of saying maybe there isn’t an issue, but there is. The dealer can tell there is an issue, just can’t figure out why it’s occurring. The difference in boost pressure between GTS and Turbo is less than 2%, giving the turbo significant hp increases. Imagine what it feels like driving the GTS with 4lbs less turbo boost. It drives more like an S than a GTS. I will study up on the rules.
Late to the party but I'll add my '21 GTS as a data point - I also max out at 13 psi as shown on the MFD gauges, and it's also shown as the far right end of the range. I don't think mine is down on power at all, based on comparing my own acceleration times to Car and Driver. Curious what your dealer says.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Anyone care to guess what the bar graph settings were on my GTS?

Did I hear anyone say .9 (13.05 psi) for both Max and Sport? Winner winner, chicken dinner. My sport graph is now set to 1.2 (17.40 psi). We'll see what happens, hopefully later today.

Unfortunately, I tried to monkey with some light settings in my instrument cluster. I did not choose wisely, and am now going to have to break out the PIWIS and reset everything (yes - there are settings that if you change them with an x431, and it dorks something up, then you can't change them back, even after clearing the fault codes).

·
Registered
505 Posts
Update: changed the bar graph for both Max and Sport. Still only going to 13, and not filling up the graph range when doing so.

·
Premium Member
2,688 Posts
@Runbuh .......so do you feel that you are not developing more than. 13psi ? Then ??

If you extended the range, and still no ore than 13psi......this may be the case ?

·
Registered
505 Posts
@Runbuh .......so do you feel that you are not developing more than. 13psi ? Then ??

If you extended the range, and still no ore than 13psi......this may be the case ?
Without being able to drive a car that truly produces full power, I can only say that my car will not display anything over 13psi under WOT.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How do we know if the new GTS with the 2.9l actually does more than 13psi anyway? Maybe it's just the old 3.0l that was 17psi?
That is a great question. I know for sure mine did 17 psi when I picked it up about 2 months ago, then all of a sudden stopped hitting anything over 13psi. There is a new GTS at my dealership, I think I’m going to go test drive it tomorrow.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts