Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for those of you that have had your 20 or 21 GTS long enough to have some experience driving it hard, where is boost maxing out for you (relying on the factory display, I mean) under sustained full throttle? What peak are you seeing and how long will it hold before bleeding back as the revs rise towards redline? It’s really peak boost I’m curious about, but whatever data you can share would help.

i have 2500 miles on my ‘20 and have thought very recently that mine might not be pulling quite as hard as it had been, of course since I’m not that far beyond the break-in period, I don’t have too much experience with flogging this car. I also noticed a whistle from the turbos as revs rise under a heavy load l, which I hadn’t noticed before - didn’t sound bad, or inappropriate somehow, but I hadn’t noticed before. Lastly, when I checked today, I wasn’t seeing beyond 12-13 psi. I believe the stock peak is just over 17. Yes, that’s relying on the factory display, which may be a questionable practice, and yes, it’s colder these days here in Chicago, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see boost reading lower by 1-2 psi given the increase in air density...but being off by 5 or so seems like a lot.

Any light other GTS owners can share?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
In chi also. Im hitting 13 and it may drop 1 psi near redline

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In chi also. Im hitting 13 and it may drop 1 psi near redline
Thanks, man - by the way, I'm the guy you gave you're cargo liner mat to, from your old turbo, when I got my previous Macan...so thanks again ;)

Good to know that my pressure reading isn't an outlier, bumping this up to see if any other new GTS owners can weigh in with what they're seeing. I will probably take it in at some point and ask them to drive it and log actual boost with their diagnostic equipment, maybe the issue is just the readout in the driver info display in that it is sort of an 'idiot light', and not meant to be exactly accurate.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Thanks, man - by the way, I'm the guy you gave you're cargo liner mat to, from your old turbo, when I got my previous Macan...so thanks again ;)

Good to know that my pressure reading isn't an outlier, bumping this up to see if any other new GTS owners can weigh in with what they're seeing. I will probably take it in at some point and ask them to drive it and log actual boost with their diagnostic equipment, maybe the issue is just the readout in the driver info display in that it is sort of an 'idiot light', and not meant to be exactly accurate.
Nice! Hopefully youre still getting good use out of it 😂

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ve got about 2,500 miles on my 2021 GTS. I’ve only used launch control 2 times and in general I drive spirited, but not crazy.

I am only getting 13 PSI turbo boost pressure. This is at WOT (Wide Open Throttle for the newbies). Even when in Launch control, only 13 PSI. I have only had it a couple of months, so I can‘t remember for sure, but I seem to remember getting more than 17 psi. When I punch the gas it goes quickly up to 13 and stops there, never going higher. Any thoughts? Is this a “Take it in and have it evaluated” type of situation or is there something I must change in the settings to free the turbo to get better performance?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Has it been cold lately? Usually the warmer it is, the more boost you'll have (less dense warm air, needs more pressure to achieve same output power).

·
Registered
506 Posts
Perhaps a visit to your dealer is in order? Granted, the example below is the previous gen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Perhaps a visit to your dealer is in order? Granted, the example below is the previous gen.

Yeah, I’m thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has it been cold lately? Usually the warmer it is, the more boost you'll have (less dense warm air, needs more pressure to achieve same output power).
It’s been nice Spring weather the last couple of days, upper 60’s to mid 70’s

·
Registered
197 Posts
Have you tried varying the drive mode between Normal/S/S+ and observe different PSI value?

I have seen 19 PSI upon delivery of the car. Been driving it for a while after regular beak-in and extended break-in, also been seeing 20 PSI before. This is on MY2020 GTS, would assume the same PSI boost pressure for MY2021 GTS.

This is the PSI info we gathered so far, not certain what's the max PSI on GTS: Macan .2 GTS and Turbo Specs Comparison

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have you tried varying the drive mode between Normal/S/S+ and observe different PSI value?

I have seen 19 PSI upon delivery of the car. Been driving it for a while after regular beak-in and extended break-in, also been seeing 20 PSI before. This is on MY2020 GTS, would assume the same PSI boost pressure for MY2021 GTS.

This is the PSI info we gathered so far, not certain what's the max PSI on GTS: Macan .2 GTS and Turbo Specs Comparison
Thanks for responding. Yes, I’ve transitioned between each of the drive modes. 13 max in all. The engine still feels strong, but not as when I first took delivery. I called a few minutes ago and I’m dropping it off for a loaner today. I found an article or two that said it could just be a loose intake hose allowing for decreased pressure, lets hope and pray!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’ve got about 2,500 miles on my 2021 GTS. I’ve only used launch control 2 times and in general I drive spirited, but not crazy.

I am only getting 13 PSI turbo boost pressure. This is at WOT (Wide Open Throttle for the newbies). Even when in Launch control, only 13 PSI. I have only had it a couple of months, so I can‘t remember for sure, but I seem to remember getting more than 17 psi. When I punch the gas it goes quickly up to 13 and stops there, never going higher. Any thoughts? Is this a “Take it in and have it evaluated” type of situation or is there something I must change in the settings to free the turbo to get better performance?
Search and ye shall find. Boost pressure on ‘20 or ‘21 Mac GTS?

I was, and am, experiencing the same thing. I max out at 13 psi. I don't recall if it was higher earlier, mainly because I was in the break-in period then, and wasn't getting on it that much. I did take mine to the dealer and asked them to measure actual boost with their PIWIS diagnostic tool - they showed me the printout - which read in hPa - and converted to 17.1 psi, which I think is just about exactly what Porsche says max pressure for the new GTS is. There's also another thread on here that, as I read it, suggests that for some reason Porsche just artificially caps the boost display in the cluster, making it more for show than accuracy. But I've also seen video with other cars showing higher figures on the display, and some variation in boost while accelerating under load, which you'd expect. But at least you know that you're not alone in seeing 13 psi, other forum members do too, as you can see from the thread. This is not to discourage you from taking it in to get looked at either - I'd be very curious to hear the outcome - though i expect that any kind of boost leak would throw a code, if not a CEL. My ECU read out clean, no codes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Search and ye shall find. Boost pressure on ‘20 or ‘21 Mac GTS?

I was, and am, experiencing the same thing. I max out at 13 psi. I don't recall if it was higher earlier, mainly because I was in the break-in period then, and wasn't getting on it that much. I did take mine to the dealer and asked them to measure actual boost with their PIWIS diagnostic tool - they showed me the printout - which read in hPa - and converted to 17.1 psi, which I think is just about exactly what Porsche says max pressure for the new GTS is. There's also another thread on here that, as I read it, suggests that for some reason Porsche just artificially caps the boost display in the cluster, making it more for show than accuracy. But I've also seen video with other cars showing higher figures on the display, and some variation in boost while accelerating under load, which you'd expect. But at least you know that you're not alone in seeing 13 psi, other forum members do too, as you can see from the thread. This is not to discourage you from taking it in to get looked at either - I'd be very curious to hear the outcome - though i expect that any kind of boost leak would throw a code, if not a CEL. My ECU read out clean, no codes.
Thank you for your comments. It seems really interesting that it was higher during break-in. I'll follow up for sure with what I hear from the dealers service department.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for your comments. It seems really interesting that it was higher during break-in. I'll follow up for sure with what I hear from the dealers service department.
If yours was definitely higher before, then something may be up; environmental factors can affect boost, but it shouldn't make a 4 psi difference

·
Registered
363 Posts
So had mine out tonight and paid attention, 13psi as well, but that's all the way up the little bar graphic. I think it's just the display isn't scaled to show the full range...next time I'm out I'm going to put it back to bar rather than psi and see what it gets to and do the conversion. Failing that, I'll hook up my scanner and see what the ECU is actually reading.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Or change it with x431 or piwis to 1.66bar, that will increase the display to 24lb I believe.
I don’t think any production Macan, GT or Turbo display more that 17psi, In SPlus mode stock.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Add me to the 13 PSI 2021 GTS club. Today, fully warmed up, 93 octane gas, 50 degrees outside, Sport+ mode, going slightly up hill. 3 gears, 13 PSI was the max shown on the display.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts