Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I need opinions from all of you boaters here in the forum. I am retiring soon and plan to buy a new boat for sport and fishing. I am looking at 21' boats from Glastron, Chaparral etc. I want an ob motor such as a Yamaha 150 or 200. I have a oem trailer hitch on my Macan so I might trailer it,or just dock it at a Marina in Lewes, Delaware.
I want to keep the price below 45k or so.
Any and all recommendations will be appreciated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
High end car taste but midrange boat taste. I'd consider buying a better boat brand. If the graphics are vinyl walk away - you want everything in the gel coat.

Towing with a Macan? That may or may not go well on a 21 foot boat - depending on how far you want to tow. Suspension is pretty soft for towing a boat.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
I had a Compac 23/3 shoal draft cruiser on a two axel trailer that had surge brakes. (I am guessing that my boat and trailer weighed about the same as what you are looking at.) I pulled it with a Mercedes ML350. I pulled it very slowly and not very often. And even with trailer brakes the hardest thing to do was come to a stop. I would not pull that rig with my Macan.

I agree with everyone else so far. Put the boat in a slip or park it at the marina.

Enjoy your new Macan and your new boat.

·
Registered
8,585 Posts
Hi all. I need opinions from all of you boaters here in the forum. I am retiring soon and plan to buy a new boat for sport and fishing. I am looking at 21' boats from Glastron, Chaparral etc. I want an ob motor such as a Yamaha 150 or 200. I have a oem trailer hitch on my Macan so I might trailer it,or just dock it at a Marina in Lewes, Delaware.
I want to keep the price below 45k or so.
Any and all recommendations will be appreciated.
I don't have a boat but live in the boating kingdom of South Florida and am surrounded by those who have them. I have always felt that the guys who dont dock the boat at a marina simply like to create more work for themselves . I also think they get an ego stroke parading their boat on the street . I think its ridiculous and it also creates some problems . I had a neighbor whose boat was stolen out of a locked wall fence with three large dogs . He (and the police) caught them towing the boat on the road . I had a boat being towed on the highway blow a tire on the trailer and it wagged like a tail right in front of my car years ago . Many times boats will spew salt water all over the cars behind it .
I hate it. The marina costs more but is the appropriate place.

Just an FYI .. One of the biggest national boat shows is this week in Miami .
This is the way to go to look at , inquire about , and learn more. It may be worth the trip even on the short notice. Miami International Boat Show Official Site | Miami, FL

·
Registered
205 Posts
Advice above is great.

My personal experience, if you're ever going to go out in salt water, I would not do anything smaller than 21', so I think you're good there. One of my first boats was an 17 footer with a Volvo IB. It was a bullet proof rig but rough in any moderate chop. 4' makes a huge difference.

I found it easier to store (my 2nd boat) at one of the local marinas. I call ahead and they have already fueled and dropped it when i get there.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I will be going to the boat show in Atlantic City coming up. I agree about the Marina instead of towing. I def will get a 21' or bigger. Retirement will be fun..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts