Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people, new here and looking to finally get in to my first porsche. I'm looking at replacing my ford explorer with an affordable Macan. I want either a Turbo or a GTS model. Due to a bad back, I'm wanting a loaded one for the better seats and comfort all around.... And yes, having a fast porsche won't hurt either...lol... My question for everyone is what year do I look for when looking at used Macans, are there years to avoid? Are certain years that are more reliable than others? I'm looking for used because I don't want a huge payment right now. I'm looking for something with 30k miles or less.

T.I.A. and can't wait to be an official owner..

·
Registered
14,432 Posts
Hi people, new here and looking to finally get in to my first porsche. I'm looking at replacing my ford explorer with an affordable Macan. I want either a Turbo or a GTS model. Due to a bad back, I'm wanting a loaded one for the better seats and comfort all around.... And yes, having a fast porsche won't hurt either...lol... My question for everyone is what year do I look for when looking at used Macans, are there years to avoid? Are certain years that are more reliable than others? I'm looking for used because I don't want a huge payment right now. I'm looking for something with 30k miles or less.

T.I.A. and can't wait to be an official owner..
I have a 2020 Macan turbo that has been absolutely bulletproof in terms of reliability. I’m parting ways with it in December as my order hopefully arrives on time at that point for a GTS. They’ve given me a trade-in number of $76,000. I also get the tax credit of 7% going into the trade so I would have to clear significantly more than the $76,000 to be interested in selling it privately. But that is the year. It is loaded by the way it was a $100,000 with things that I don’t even use .

I really think it’s best to order a new car. The used market is playing on the convenience of not having to wait.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Look for 2018 and newer, but expect to pay at least $60K for a 2018 Turbo. You might want to also consider a GTS model. Each has its advantages. Look to buy from a Porsche dealer, or find a CPO model from a private seller. The CPO transfers in a private sale. I choose a 2018 GTS over a 2018 Turbo because the GTS came with adaptive suspension, sport chrono and sport exhaust.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys, look for a 18 or newer. Another inquiry I have. Assuming the vehicle is in pristine condition, what's the highest miles on a 18 that you guys would consider?

·
Registered
2018 Base
153 Posts
I would only go with a '19 or newer 6-cylinder, the '18 and older 6-cylinder models have had reports of various engine oil leaks. Especially the timing chain cover. Some leaks can require engine-out $10k fixes. Do some searching on the forum to learn more.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I own an '18 Turbo. So far: alternator died (TCC oil spray), TCC leak, A/C line (during engine getting dropped to repair TCC leak) all covered under warranty. Since? Bulletproof.

Reactions: ricksflo

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought a CPO'd 2016 Macan Turbo in January of 2019, exactly 3 years old at that time with 8700 km.

I only have 35,000 km on it now.

TCC oil leak was fixed under the CPO warranty about 1 year ago.

I bought a 2 year extended Porsche warranty at the 6 year mark, this January.

Transfer case started acting up 1 month ago, fixed a few weeks ago. It was still under the Porsche good will 7 year transfer case extended warranty.

Also had clamshell hood/driver door panel gap issue, corrected.

Otherwise been good, for a (very) low mileage car.

I think the big splitter, from a reliability standpoint, is 2018 MY or older, after which, as other have mentioned, the engines were switched.

Sound is awesome for my gen tho. No sports exhaust but very loud and satisfying on cold startup for sure. Great all round vehicle if it's not causing you mechanical headaches.

Reactions: ricksflo

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have a 2015 Turbo, now has 42,000 miles on it. (I bought it with 9,000 miles on it).

Had the TCC leak fixed and transfer case replaced when was under CPO warranty. Other than that, no problems since, absolutely love the car. Have custom Cobb tune and AWE Touring exhaust system, quite quick! Love my car, and have decided to keep driving it (not sell).

So if you can find an early model Turbo with low miles that has had those two fixes done, should be good.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
If you find one, before you sign, ask for all service records through Porsche. If it’s a random agency, get the VIN. Drive to whoever is going to be your dealership and ask them for service records. Most agencies will help you for a shot of getting possible service work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts