Porsche Macan Forum banner

141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,916 Posts
My dealer did a full inspection at my last service visit and checked my battery health as Good (green). Guess they used PIWIS tool to do that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Why do you think that? Maybe I am too cynical, but I bet he turned the key and the car started.
They probably have to connect PIWIS anyway. It's trivial to get the battery health. Any problems found on diagnostics (battery or otherwise) leads to more $ for the service dept.

·
Premium Member
6,916 Posts
Why do you think that? Maybe I am too cynical, but I bet he turned the key and the car started.
I don't know. It's just a guess. ;)

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Take a look at this from PIWIS (start at about 13 min). Not 100% sure it's SOH (vs SOC or something else), but clearly the computer keeps tracking of battery health in some way and this is obviously what the dealer is using to evaluate your battery. I suspect 3rd party tools can access this info as well, but haven't tried myself.
Yes, probably SOH but most of us do not have PIWIS!
I used a Solar brand conductance measuring tool.

·
Registered
19 Posts
No I haven’t taken a voltage measurement of my OEM battery. So far everything seems good. No problem starting the car at the first crank and all electronics works fine too.

The charging voltage on the display is 14.9v now, which I assume it’s due to the ambient cold temperature (50’s). In summer it’s 14.4v.
jzwu, Can you tell me how to get to the display of battery condition?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,916 Posts
Macan doesn’t has any display of the car battery condition. You can see the alternator charging voltage in the display. That’s it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes, probably SOH but most of us do not have PIWIS!
I used a Solar brand conductance measuring tool.
I am betting other diagnostic tools can access this information as well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
if you stop one click short of actual ignition when turning the “key” to start up the battery gauge will be showing battery voltage as the alternator isn’t running until the engine turns over

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
if you stop one click short of actual ignition when turning the “key” to start up the battery gauge will be showing battery voltage as the alternator isn’t running until the engine turns over
This has been discussed/debated. Some of us do not believe that reading is a true indication of battery voltage.
Even if it was, it is under load from the lights & computers. A more accurate (but not perfect) voltage reading is obtained with a cheap multimeter at the under hood jump start lugs.

Even testing at the battery can be compromised if you take the reading while the rear hatch lights are on (load)

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Mostly true, but a minor fly in the ointment is that the dash lights -- and who knows what else -- will be drawing some current at the time. Ok, minor, but seems just a little more accurate to just put a volt meter on the terminals. (I have a box of 20 or so of the VOMs, as Harbor Freight used to give them away with coupons.)

·
Premium Member
6,916 Posts
Just use a voltmeter to measure your battery voltage at the terminals. It is easy to get to in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
6,916 Posts
Lights are still going to go on as you deep dive to the battery altering your results.
True but that’s the best most folks can do easily.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Adding a datapoint...2015 Macan S, Dec 2014 build, 58K miles, original battery. I acquired it a year ago with 54K miles and have put it on a battery tender about every other month since I knew I was at the short end of its life. No indications of imminent failure, just the passage of time. I've run AGM batteries before and they don't have the gentle failure profile of lead acid with slow starting, etc. When they go, they go fast.

Not wanting to take a risk over the hot summer months in NJ, and with 6.5 years on the battery, I figured it was time to pick up a battery tester - just generally good to have around anyway - and see where I was testing out. Screen shots below as a reference.

Woof! 61% state of health and a max charge of under 600 CCA doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. So I ran down to Advance Auto parts and picked up a new DieHard AGM in the same size. Wasn't sure my Foxwell NT530 was up to the task but after some poking in the menus, and knowing I had already downloaded the Porsche-specific code to the device last year, I did find the battery registration. Entered the new capacity, serial number, battery type and off it went. Successful registration!

Total cost (excluding the battery tester) was $230 since Advance Auto wasn't honoring coupons this time around. I did check with Costco per this thread and did not find a comparable Interstate in stock and available near me today so probably paid a bit more than I needed to but at least it's changed out and registered and hopefully good for another 5-6 years!

BTW, for those who are wondering...yes, the Foxwell NT530 can reset your Porsche service indicator if you're doing your own oil changes, as I did for the first time last Fall (thanks COVID).

·
Premium Member
6,916 Posts
All replacement batteries I have checked come with a 3-year warranty.

141 - 158 of 158 Posts