Porsche Macan Forum banner

101 - 120 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Well, I do not do 15 miles a day and am far, far away from 6000 miles per year. I get it, that the Battery is essentially on me. I do usually, start it every day and do a little run to McD for a coffee. :cool:

·
Registered
769 Posts
Do the search function for all the information on battery maintainers as you appear to be a candidate for one.

I've got one, but don't think I need it yet. I do drive it every day. I'll start taking the long way around.:sneaky:

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
I've got one, but don't think I need it yet. I do drive it every day. I'll start taking the long way around.:sneaky:
As I am in the same boat as you I set mine up to connect to the cigarette female connection every time I bring the car home to the garage. It takes little time for me to disconnect from the power source, pull the plug from the car and depart. Reverse when I get back is equally as convenient. Here is what I use;

·
Registered
769 Posts
My
As I am in the same boat as you I set mine up to connect to the cigarette female connection every time I bring the car home to the garage. It takes little time for me to disconnect from the power source, pull the plug from the car and depart. Reverse when I get back is equally as convenient. Here is what I use;
My problem is the spouse has the garage and I am relegated to outside. No , it is not right, but.... My boat lift (no boat...) with an outlet is close by and I could run an extension cord to the car, but that is very ungainly. It would expose the Macan to the elements where the cord enters the car. But.... you have given me an idea on moving her out and me in when I do start showing battery problems. :sneaky:

·
Super Moderator
9,966 Posts
It would expose the Macan to the elements where the cord enters the car. But.... you have given me an idea on moving her out and me in when I do start showing battery problems. :sneaky:
No it wouldnt. That ctek is IP65, not for underwater but splash proof. I wouldnt leave it out in a rain storm though. Where it enters the car is no problem, the cord goes out the bottom of the door where there is a big gasket. Porsche owners have run it out the door for at least a decade. Use the ctek extension cord. If you damage it, then its easy to replace, but if you damage the ctek itself then you are out $100. If you are showing battery problems its too late. Some sulfation, reducing the SOH, is irreversable. The point of the maintainer is PM, not to fix a bad battery.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
My problem is the spouse has the garage and I am relegated to outside. No , it is not right, but.... My boat lift (no boat...) with an outlet is close by and I could run an extension cord to the car, but that is very ungainly. It would expose the Macan to the elements where the cord enters the car. But.... you have given me an idea on moving her out and me in when I do start showing battery problems. :sneaky:
You need a battery maintainer/tender. I also like CTEK.
I think charging 1x/week overnight till you get the green light will help you keep your battery many years & you will not need to have dealer replace it for you @ $700-800!

There is much DIY info on MF RE different brands of batteries that will fit, much discussion on how to register the new battery yourself & discussion as to whether this is really needed or not.

But why not take care of your battery to delay the need for replacement as long as possible?

Re your issue of parking w/o a garage. Search MF for clever solutions where some have attached CTEK & other charging cables to either the battery posts themselves or to the under hood jump start posts & hidden the (sealed) end of the cable in the driver side front air intake vent.
So they just stick their hand into the front vent w/o opening the hood & grab the cable end & attach that to their CTEK cable & plug it in & let it charge. Fast & easy.

For the cable attachment to the battery in the rear hatch, they rout the cable so they can easily grab it w/o having to remove the floor & tire, etc. Then they hook it up as described above. In this case you can put the CTEK inside the cargo area & the extension cord needs to go out the rear hatch & close the hatch on the cord. I think it is best to have the CTEK cord extend a few inches out of the hatch so that thinner cord is the one that the rubber hatch gasket closes on. Then connect your much thicker, higher AWG, outdoor, weather proof extension cord to that & plug it in.
I think the connection s/b water proof but if concerned can wrap it in plastic.

HTH

Reactions: grim

·
Registered
769 Posts
You need a battery maintainer/tender. I also like CTEK.
I think charging 1x/week overnight till you get the green light will help you keep your battery many years & you will not need to have dealer replace it for you @ $700-800!

There is much DIY info on MF RE different brands of batteries that will fit, much discussion on how to register the new battery yourself & discussion as to whether this is really needed or not.

But why not take care of your battery to delay the need for replacement as long as possible?

Re your issue of parking w/o a garage. Search MF for clever solutions where some have attached CTEK & other charging cables to either the battery posts themselves or to the under hood jump start posts & hidden the (sealed) end of the cable in the driver side front air intake vent.
So they just stick their hand into the front vent w/o opening the hood & grab the cable end & attach that to their CTEK cable & plug it in & let it charge. Fast & easy.

For the cable attachment to the battery in the rear hatch, they rout the cable so they can easily grab it w/o having to remove the floor & tire, etc. Then they hook it up as described above. In this case you can put the CTEK inside the cargo area & the extension cord needs to go out the rear hatch & close the hatch on the cord. I think it is best to have the CTEK cord extend a few inches out of the hatch so that thinner cord is the one that the rubber hatch gasket closes on. Then connect your much thicker, higher AWG, outdoor, weather proof extension cord to that & plug it in.
I think the connection s/b water proof but if concerned can wrap it in plastic.

HTH
I have a CTEK, but just recently read about Solar Powered Battery maintainers. There is one on Amazon (where else ?) that mounts on your inside windshield via suction cups. For trickle charging, it looks like a nice solution. TP-solar 20 Watt 12 Volt Solar Trickle Charger 20W 12V Solar Panel Car Battery Charger Portable Solar Battery Maintainer + Cigarette Lighter Plug Alligator Clip O-ring Terminal for Car Boat Motorcycle

And, as your "once a week" suggestion... I certainly could claim one night a week in the garage for Battery Charging.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I have a CTEK, but just recently read about Solar Powered Battery maintainers. There is one on Amazon (where else ?) that mounts on your inside windshield via suction cups. For trickle charging, it looks like a nice solution. TP-solar 20 Watt 12 Volt Solar Trickle Charger 20W 12V Solar Panel Car Battery Charger Portable Solar Battery Maintainer + Cigarette Lighter Plug Alligator Clip O-ring Terminal for Car Boat Motorcycle

And, as your "once a week" suggestion... I certainly could claim one night a week in the garage for Battery Charging.
That's an interesting device, and you certainly can't beat free energy.

OTOH, to me -- and I'm not an electrical engineer, never even played one on TV, etc. -- it doesn't look very sophisticated, not nearly in the same league as CTEK and others. It appears to me that its float characteristics may be lacking, and that it does not attempt to desulfate batteries, the way the sophisticated smart chargers do. (As I've mentioned before, I migrated over the years from Battery Tender Jrs to two XC100-P chargers from PulseTech (XC100-P Xtreme Charge 12V Battery Maintenance Charger Desulfator .)

Bottom line, that solar gizmo is probably better than nothing, but to me is otherwise pretty lacking. If you're dead set against providing house current to your CTEK, I suppose it might be worth a shot.

If our Macan weren't a daily driver, I'd put a battery-connected Powerlet-type of outlet next to the rear license plate, the same kind of through-the-plastic mod I've made to several motorcycle over the years.

·
Premium Member
6,916 Posts
and arms. 😊

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
That's an interesting device, and you certainly can't beat free energy.

OTOH, to me -- and I'm not an electrical engineer, never even played one on TV, etc. -- it doesn't look very sophisticated, not nearly in the same league as CTEK and others. It appears to me that its float characteristics may be lacking, and that it does not attempt to desulfate batteries, the way the sophisticated smart chargers do. (As I've mentioned before, I migrated over the years from Battery Tender Jrs to two XC100-P chargers from PulseTech (XC100-P Xtreme Charge 12V Battery Maintenance Charger Desulfator .)

Bottom line, that solar gizmo is probably better than nothing, but to me is otherwise pretty lacking. If you're dead set against providing house current to your CTEK, I suppose it might be worth a shot.

If our Macan weren't a daily driver, I'd put a battery-connected Powerlet-type of outlet next to the rear license plate, the same kind of through-the-plastic mod I've made to several motorcycle over the years.
Can't count on the sun in Seattle, whereas the CTEK is plug and play.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
@iconoclast @Teddis @jzwu Just got a chance to use the battery tester I purchased. I charged my car one week ago and have done several trips all during the day. The reason I state this as there is really no load on the alternator so it’s just charging to battery voltage. I the past I have been told lights on load is required to fully charge the battery. Below are the results. Unit shows battery low on charge but is good. This is the original battery in my car built in 10/14. Test was done in the car which this tester is capable of.

Reactions: jzwu

·
Registered
769 Posts
I think the idea of commandeering the Garage one night a week might have some legs.

I commandeered the garage from late one afternoon until next morning. The CTEK went through the entire cycle by morning. I think I'll do this once a month. While turning on ignition, but not starting (obviously) I was reading 12.1V. After the overnight, it now shows 12.3V.

CORRECTION: 12.3 VS 13.3

·
Premium Member
6,916 Posts
@notmac1 So even at fully charged it’s only about 70% of capacity? What is the criteria for good condition?

·
Super Moderator
9,966 Posts
@iconoclast @Teddis @jzwu Just got a chance to use the battery tester I purchased. I charged my car one week ago and have done several trips all during the day. The reason I state this as there is really no load on the alternator so it’s just charging to battery voltage. I the past I have been told lights on load is required to fully charge the battery. Below are the results. Unit shows battery low on charge but is good. This is the original battery in my car built in 10/14. Test was done in the car which this tester is capable of.
That battery needs to be charged. Its at 66% and the SOH is below 80%.

Well, first, its not CCA, its EN. You need to change to 850 EN and see if it makes a difference. But that should not effect the SOC.

The IR is high over 4, thats related to the SOH.

·
Premium Member
6,916 Posts
What’s IR?

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
@grim I am going to charge the battery and take another set of readings. I agree the battery needs to be charged that was the reading taken after the battery was fully charged 1 week ago. Even with some multiple drives may each around 5 miles the battery dropped to 66% during last week. Test shows battery good. Sooo would a new battery loose this mich charge your thoughts? I will post again with updated results but this seems like quite a big droop in one week.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
What’s IR?
I think you are referring to MR which is measured resistance. Just giving you FYI as our cars are pretty close in age. The results I saw all these percentages seem like a pretty big drop after one week Full charge but the tester states battery is good it makes me wonder.

·
Super Moderator
9,966 Posts
@grim I am going to charge the battery and take another set of readings. I agree the battery needs to be charged that was the reading taken after the battery was fully charged 1 week ago. Even with some multiple drives may each around 5 miles the battery dropped to 66% during last week. Test shows battery good. Sooo would a new battery loose this mich charge your thoughts? I will post again with updated results but this seems like quite a big droop in one week.
Probably normal for the age. You dont know how far it can charge. Charge it, flip the lights on a second, check it after an hour. Change cca to 850 EN. Be sure to test at the battery, not at the jump posts and see what you get. Dont check after “ maintaining” but just after its charged. IR meant internal resistance. MR I think is the same.

101 - 120 of 158 Posts