Porsche Macan Forum banner

281 - 291 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I use the 12V outlet in the rear seat area. Use it frequently. I roll down the rear window an inch & pass through the cord.
I did buy the CTEK extension cord.

I do have a garage so it is convenient for me. I have metal shelving next to the car & the charger goes on that & there is an electrical outlet on the wall right at that shelf.

Right b4 I plug in the 12V adapter, I always turn on the ignition so the computers wake & then turn it off.

I also lock the car. Never had this fail.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
My 2016 Macan also lacks a retaining strap for the Jump Start + terminal.
I wonder if that can be added?

To prevent loss of the cover.
My 2016 does not have the retaining strap either. Was not aware there was ever a restraining strap available. Not a bad idea.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
I was able to charge my car via the cigarette lighter in the past, so it did work for me, it just didn't work today...
Do you by chance have comfort access? If you do, I have found the key fob needs to be inside the car in order to fully wake the car up (when you turn on the ignition right before plugging the CTEK into the car as Iconoclast described). Might this be what you missed? I have made this misstep in the past.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
528 Posts
Do you by chance have comfort access? If you do, I have found the key fob needs to be inside the car in order to fully wake the car up (when you turn on the ignition right before plugging the CTEK into the car as Iconoclast described). Might this be what you missed? I have made this misstep in the past.
I actually turned on the car and let it run for like 3 minutes before I turned it off and plugged the CTEK into the cigarette lighter.
It's charging now with the hood open - how long can the car stay with the hood open? I hope 2-3 days is not a problem.
I really don't like this so I'll try to use the cigarette lighter in a near future and if it won't work I'll hard wire CTEK connector and run it to the front grill.

·
Super Moderator
8,329 Posts
I actually turned on the car and let it run for like 3 minutes before I turned it off and plugged the CTEK into the cigarette lighter.
It's charging now with the hood open - how long can the car stay with the hood open? I hope 2-3 days is not a problem.
I really don't like this so I'll try to use the cigarette lighter in a near future and if it won't work I'll hard wire CTEK connector and run it to the front grill.
Follow the directions in the sticky. YMMV. If using the cigarette lighter, turn the key to first click, accessory position. Plug in cigarette adapter, Plug in charger, turn key off, shut door and lock it.

If using the hood. Just close the hood. It works fine. The problem with the hood is twofold.

First, a door is meant to be opened and closed thousands upon thousands of times. Thats why it exists. To open and close. A hood is totally different. Its huge and heavy. You got to release a latch. How many times before that latch breaks? How many times a year does the average person open a hood? Never? Maybe once/year for service?

Second, the moment you open the hood, you can no longer get an oil reading for some number of miles. The car thinks you adjusted the oil

In neither case take a reading of the SOH or SOC of the battery from the front terminals. Its not the same as doing it directly from the battery.

·
Super Moderator
1,973 Posts
If the hood is open, is the Macan really asleep? Doesn't the Macan have to be locked in order for
it to go to sleep? Can the Macan be locked when the hood is open?

I was under the impression one should lock their Macan even if it's stored in a locked garage for the
health of the battery, Macan sleep, etc. If one does not lock the Macan while it's on a CTEK, etc.
how would that affect the charging/reconditioning cycle(s), if at all?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
If the hood is open, is the Macan really asleep? Doesn't the Macan have to be locked in order for

I was under the impression one should lock their Macan even if it's stored in a locked garage for the
health of the battery, Macan sleep, etc. If one does not lock the Macan while it's on a CTEK, etc.
I can't see how degrees of, um, "sleepness" would affect the charging, except perhaps making the charger work a very tiny bit harder, for a very tiny bit longer.

That is, if there is a tiny bit more parasitic draw on the battery -- vs. a tiny bit less, or no parasitic draw at all -- it seems to me that any smartcharger would easily deal with that minuscule draw. Are those your thoughts, as well?

The one time I hooked up my PulseTech XC100-P Xtreme (XC100-P Xtreme Charge 12V Battery Maintenance Charger Desulfator) to my two-and-a-half-year-old Macan S, I used the under-hood lugs (with the hood open), and, as usual, didn't lock the car. The Xtreme took overnight to do its thing (as has been the case when I would hook it up to my Camry every few years), and pronounced itself satisfied -- in final on-going float mode -- in the morning.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts

I think yes, asleep. I did notice that when lock with hood open you do not get the beeps. But all the lights & computer are off. You do get the red door sill blinking light. When I check the Voltage after charging, I then fully close the hood & immediately get the lock beep even though I have not yet opened a door or touched the door handle. My next step is to open door, remove 12V adapter & cord & roll up back window.

I like to pop the hood b4 charging from the backseat 12V outlet. Test Voltage when it is done charging & can use my MM @ the under hood jump start terminals to see the voltage w/o opening the door to pop the hood & waking the computer.

Yes, I know I will have surface charge.
Yes, I know to never use capacitance tester for SOH, except directly at battery.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
FWIW, especially for those having difficulties charging using the 12V outlets.

CTEK accessories I use:
CTEK 56-304 Comfort Indicator Extension (probably makes no difference for charging difficulties but, may be more convenient.)
CTEK (56-870) Comfort Indicator Cig Plug

Note: For Macan you MUST use that RED adapter.

I wonder if some are not using it & are not getting a tight connection & that is why car shuts down?

281 - 291 of 291 Posts