Porsche Macan Forum banner

261 - 280 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
My 2016 Macan also lacks a retaining strap for the Jump Start + terminal.
I wonder if that can be added?

To prevent loss of the cover.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My 2016 Macan also lacks a retaining strap for the Jump Start + terminal.
I wonder if that can be added?

To prevent loss of the cover.
My 2016 also lacks the cover strap, but the cover and base do have strap holes (wide enough for velcro or zip tie).

I'm going to look for a button head screw like fontana302, so the cover actually fits.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Porsche recommends if you don't drive daily, or leave vehicle for extended periods that you should use their charger (of course) but I already have the C-tek charger and the comfort adaptor (plug-in) which I'm pretty sure is the same charger. Anyway, they say to charge it through a 12v receptacle in the vehicle but I notice all the 12v receptacles "switch off" when the vehicle is left unattended so I'm wondering if anyone has charged this way yet and if it stays on when charging. I'm going to be leaving the vehicle unattended for a vacation and want to leave the maintainer on, prevents sulfation and improves battery longevity, not to mention the battery draining.
Just read your post from years ago and noticed that no one answered your question correctly. The 12v outlets in my 911 remain on if the device plugged in is supplying power. If it is drawing power (I.e. radar detector, etc.) the outlet shuts down in about a half hour. However, I noted that my Macan always shutdown in 30 minutes as you noted in your post. That answer is to have your dealer program the outlets to stay on if the device connected is supplying power. Why Porsche programmed the 911 one way and the Macan the other way is a mystery. Anyway, now I can trickle charge my Macan via one of the 12v outlets no problem. I hope my “way late” response finds it’s way to you. My dealer made the change for free. He agreed it should have come that way from the factory!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Just read your post from years ago and noticed that no one answered your question correctly. The 12v outlets in my 911 remain on if the device plugged in is supplying power. If it is drawing power (I.e. radar detector, etc.) the outlet shuts down in about a half hour. However, I noted that my Macan always shutdown in 30 minutes as you noted in your post. That answer is to have your dealer program the outlets to stay on if the device connected is supplying power. Why Porsche programmed the 911 one way and the Macan the other way is a mystery. Anyway, now I can trickle charge my Macan via one of the 12v outlets no problem. I hope my “way late” response finds it’s way to you. My dealer made the change for free. He agreed it should have come that way from the factory!
So here's the deal. If you plug in your Ctek charger to the cigarette lighter after turning the car off you are good to go EXCEPT if the power goes off from the source. Then it won't restart. That is why all the people here are turning to connecting to the battery or to the connections under the hood. The rest of us who see our car more frequently can deal with the ease of the cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I just connected a harness straight to the positive & negative terminals up front. Used 8mm stainless button head hex for the positive & put the negative terminal under the earth connection. Harness comes out through the windscreen washer hole. I used Deustch 2 pin connector for the harness & have a blanking connector when not on the charger.
No problems charging & very practical. I use CTEK MXS 5.0
I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ here -- this is a real question, just trying to understand the situation, etc.

My question: I like your well-thought-out clean mod, but does it still require you to open the hood to hook up your CTEK? If that's the case, what is the advantage, vs. just applying some alligator clips (which typically come as one of the sets of leads with smart chargers) to the terminal posts, after opening the hood?

·
Super Moderator
8,329 Posts
I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ here -- this is a real question, just trying to understand the situation, etc.

My question: I like your well-thought-out clean mod, but does it still require you to open the hood to hook up your CTEK? If that's the case, what is the advantage, vs. just applying some alligator clips (which typically come as one of the sets of leads with smart chargers) to the terminal posts, after opening the hood?
He's coming out near the wipers

See Charging the Macan

Another approach coming out near the vents.

On my 911 I came out near the wipers.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
He's coming out near the wipers

See Charging the Macan

I get that (I think) -- the part about by the wipers.

But it looks to me (we're talking about the pics by @fontana302, right?) like the wiring coupler end is stored, tucked away, by the washer-fluid cap. So my question is whether the hood has to be first opened, in order to get to that connector.

I believe it may even have been you, who noted recently, that the hood isn't really intended for frequent usage, so I'm trying to get a handle on how @fontana302 deals with this issue, if at all.

·
Super Moderator
8,329 Posts
I get that (I think) -- the part about by the wipers.

But it looks to me (we're talking about the pics by @fontana302, right?) like the wiring coupler end is stored, tucked away, by the washer-fluid cap. So my question is whether the hood has to be first opened, in order to get to that connector.

I believe it may even have been you, who noted recently, that the hood isn't really intended for frequent usage, so I'm trying to get a handle on how @fontana302 deals with this issue, if at all.
I see your point. @MarkTr looks like he's leaving the plug hanging out. That's not clear from the pictures above with the second method.

True, that hood is not meant for constant opening and closing like a door. If the CTEK plug isn't permanently out, there's little point of doing that.

·
Registered
2020 Macan S Sapphire Blue, Steel Built 02/20.
80 Posts
See Charging the Macan

I really like this approach for coming out under the turn signal. Think I'll be trying this way for sure as it avoids the wiper area and the necessity if opening the hood.

·
Super Moderator
1,973 Posts
I noticed the query in the included link above where someone asked about using stainless steel
as a fastener type. Was the primary concern with corrosion or electrical conductivity?

What about copper? Its conductivity is second only to silver.

jes sayin'

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I noticed the query in the included link above where someone asked about using stainless steel
as a fastener type. Was the primary concern with corrosion or electrical conductivity?

What about copper? Its conductivity is second only to silver.

jes sayin'
My guess is that whoever used stainless steel did so for its anti-corrosion properties, as well as its easy availability and reasonable strength.

To my thinking -- but I'm not an engineer, and never even played one on TV -- it seems that it doesn't matter to any significant degree, in terms of conductivity, whatever you use. That is, the connector's metal O-loop will be mushed against the top of the existing jumper post by any bolt, so the path of electricity will be between that post and the O-loop metal (which loop itself is made of ... what?).

·
Registered
528 Posts
Today I tried to connect my CTEK to my Macan but it kept stopping charging the battery after 30 minutes - I ended up hooking the CTEK to the connectors under the hood.
These are the steps:
1. Turn off the car.
2. Plug CTEK into the cigaretter lighter.
3. Plus CTEK into the power socket.

It looks like the electronics that are supposed to to handle charging via the cigarette lighter didn't get the message to start working.
Any ideas why would my car be unhappy with the cigarette lighter this time?

·
Super Moderator
8,329 Posts
Today I tried to connect my CTEK to my Macan but it kept stopping charging the battery after 30 minutes - I ended up hooking the CTEK to the connectors under the hood.
These are the steps:
1. Turn off the car.

It looks like the electronics that are supposed to to handle charging via the cigarette lighter didn't get the message to start working.
DIrections

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
DIrections

These are the steps:
1. Turn off the car.

The cigarette lighter disconnects after 30 min. U need to open the hood and find the + and - terminal and charge that way. The other doesn't work.

·
Super Moderator
8,329 Posts
The cigarette lighter disconnects after 30 min. U need to open the hood and find the + and - terminal and charge that way. The other doesn't work.
It does work. Post #2 Follow the directions. You just have to wake the car up.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
It does work. Post #2 Follow the directions. You just have to wake the car up.

Ok sure, but going under the hood is less hassle and you don't need to take these extra steps and/or leave the door open ect... I do this anytime I leave the car for more than 8 days. Very easy.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ok sure, but going under the hood is less hassle and you don't need to take these extra steps and/or leave the door open ect... I do this anytime I leave the car for more than 8 days. Very easy.
As Grim pointed out in the thread the hood is not designed to be opened and closed as frequently as a door or the rear cargo area hatch. Either will close over the cord with out any issue. I have been using the rear hatch for several months now. I vary the spot where I place the cord. Just plug in the charger before turning off the car close the hatch or door then turn the car off and you should be good to go. Nothing needs to be left open and you can lock the car.

Reactions: grim

·
Premium Member
6,068 Posts
I tried the cigarette socket and the battery posts under the hood, and finally settled with the posts under the hood. More straight forward and no worries.

261 - 280 of 291 Posts