Porsche Macan Forum banner
241 - 260 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the CTEK MUS 4.3 and it works well. I just periodically plug it into the center console cig lighter over night.

When the dealer told me that my batt wouldn't accept a full charge, I used it to recondition the battery. Not surprisingly, it did it and I didn't have to spend >$900 for a new battery and have the dealer register it to the car.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hi all. I have read conflicting notes on trickle charging. Manual says 12 volt adapter plug (cig lighter) shuts off after 30 min so dealer has to program system to stay live to trickle charge thru plug. On the other hand some say you can trickle thru the same connectors you use to jumpstart if battery is dead. Can anyone offer insight into best way to trickle charge for extended storage. Porsche and ctek offer these chargers .
O/P - You do not mention what vehicle this is for? Macan? Battery is in the trunk. There are jumper terminal under the hood marked in the engine bay. A little charging wording needs to be used here. Trickle charging is a constant low amp charge. If you use that method, YOU have to monitor that. If you are long term storage. You want a battery maintainer. That is a different animal. Its smart. It quietly monitors and only charges when needed. That is the Ctek mentioned above. They cost between 30-100 buck. x2 for a porsche branded one. If your really stupid, run the extension cord through the door handle, so no one can drive off with the car still plugged in. I have to do that for my step father.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC1319-Automatic-Battery-Maintainer/dp/B0756Q88J5/ref=sr_1_11?keywords=battery+tender&qid=1567614197&s=gateway&sr=8-11[/ame]

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-959-CHARGE-Automatic-Charger/dp/B00GODGN9E/ref=sxin_9_ac_d_rm?ac_md=7-3-Y3RlayBiYXR0ZXJ5IGNoYXJnZXI%3D-ac_d_rm&keywords=battery+tender&pd_rd_i=B00GODGN9E&pd_rd_r=45131deb-b15b-4dc6-8e32-281dfbc51e88&pd_rd_w=QY4rg&pd_rd_wg=lV0QQ&pf_rd_p=404c4843-2c96-4d0d-a5fe-2b0598693e61&pf_rd_r=FEN1FEFB1Y971HHJBEC9&qid=1567614237&s=gateway[/ame]

·
Super Moderator
10,122 Posts
Hi all. I have read conflicting notes on trickle charging. Manual says 12 volt adapter plug (cig lighter) shuts off after 30 min so dealer has to program system to stay live to trickle charge thru plug. On the other hand some say you can trickle thru the same connectors you use to jumpstart if battery is dead. Can anyone offer insight into best way to trickle charge for extended storage. Porsche and ctek offer these chargers .
AFAIK, Porsche sells a rebranded CTEK. CTEK is NOT a trickle charger. Its a smart charger. Go to their webpage and read.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't know what the BFD is on CTEK brand charger/maintainer is. I am sure they are good units. There are other alternatives, other than what is sold at the dealer. I have used a Battery Tender charger/maintainer on the AGM battery in my Mercedes for a two month period with no ill effects. Documentation on their website tell you which units can be used on AGM batteries.

Here is a current review of chargers/maintainers:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I've been using the Battery Tender brand on all of my cars for many years and they have always worked well. If you do buy one from Porsche, you may want to consider adding the Sport Exhaust System to it for only an additional $250.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the Porsche charger. It works as advertised. Plug it in the cig lighter within the 30 minute window. Make sure all windows are up and car must be locked. The only thing that doesn't work as Porsche advertised is a power failure event. If you have a power failure the charger does not return to charging when the power returns, it must be reset.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I don't know what the BFD is on CTEK brand charger/maintainer is. I am sure they are good units. There are other alternatives, other than what is sold at the dealer. I have used a Battery Tender charger/maintainer on the AGM battery in my Mercedes for a two month period with no ill effects. Documentation on their website tell you which units can be used on AGM batteries.

Here is a current review of chargers/maintainers:

I own the MUS 4.3 but had thought it was replaced by a newer model... CTEK 40-206 MXS 5.0.
5-2019, Amazon had a note next to the listing for MUS 4.3 that there is a newer model .

However,
CTEK still has both models + others.
They sell the MUS 4.3 for significantly more $.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
MUS 4.3 also tests the alternator. This must be a new feature since my old MUS 4.3 manual says nothing about this.
BTW, where is the edit your post button? (never mind! I found it. In tiny print, to the right of the relative date info)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I have the Porsche charger. It works as advertised. Plug it in the cig lighter within the 30 minute window. Make sure all windows are up and car must be locked. The only thing that doesn't work as Porsche advertised is a power failure event. If you have a power failure the charger does not return to charging when the power returns, it must be reset.
My battery tender units resume on their own once power is restored. Not doing so can be a big negative if you're on an extended trip or if you leave a car or two in multiple locations (i.e., winter/summer home).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am new to the Porsche brand and recently bought a 2019 Macan S. I was told by the dealer that if the car was to be laid up for a lengthy period of time then I would need to invest in a battery maintainer - which I did at $200 plus.
The car was laid up for 14 weeks, and when I returned to the US ( Im from Scotland) the battery was completely dead.
Porsche checked it and stated it needed a new battery - replaced under warranty.
The dealership is now saying that the unit should have been plugged into the 12V outlet in the trunk and NOT the front consul!!

Does any one know if this is correct or have any further information?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I suspect that the dash outlet is switched and the rear one is not. The rear one is for the flat tire pump and probably energized all of the time. My dash outlet, on a 97 Boxster, is switched. Easy enough to test to verify. Gotta love the warranty.

·
Registered
637 Posts
When you plugged in the battery maintainer into the front - did you have a chance to check if it's talking to the battery after 30 minutes or more?
That's when the front 12V should check if it's used or not and switch off, and the battery maintainer LEDs should tell if it's connected.

·
Registered
149 Posts
New 2020 owner here. I was using a CTEK 800 that I've been using successfully on my GT4 for the last 4 years. I did notice that the unit never went into the full charged "maintenance mode" when the LED turns green. This was even after 4 full days of charging. The 12V plug in the console does not seem to be off however as that would give an indication on my CTEK.

I was going to get a more current CTEK unit in a few weeks and will try that out and see if I get the same results. This is also the first I've heard of using the 12V in the hatch as well.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am new to the Porsche brand and recently bought a 2019 Macan S. I was told by the dealer that if the car was to be laid up for a lengthy period of time then I would need to invest in a battery maintainer - which I did at $200 plus.
The car was laid up for 14 weeks, and when I returned to the US ( Im from Scotland) the battery was completely dead.
Porsche checked it and stated it needed a new battery - replaced under warranty.
The dealership is now saying that the unit should have been plugged into the 12V outlet in the trunk and NOT the front consul!!

Does any one know if this is correct or have any further information?

Thanks in advance!
To get the battery maintainer to work properly through the front consul on my 2015 Macan S, it is necessary to first turn the ignition ON (without starting the engine) and then plugging the maintainer output into the consul outlet. After that, turn the ignition OFF and remove the key/fob. The front consul requires this sequence whereas the rear output does not. It took me a bit of time to discover this sequence, but it works perfectly for me every time. Try it, and good luck.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Apparently, M8x10 bolt is the right size for the positive terminal eyelet connection, but what's the proper metal type for this use? Stainless steel for tight fit without corrosion?

I tried my brand-new CTEK MXS 5.0 today, but my 2016 Macan S (June 2015 delivery) DOES automatically power off the cigarette lighter socket after 30 minutes. I did turn the key to acc mode (MFD shows 11.0V; battery low alert), plugged in the powered CTEK cig lighter adapter, then turned off the car. I just got the 32K mi / 4yr service (garage queen), so I'll need to wait another year to have dealer code disable the auto-shutoff...

I'm using alligator clamps for now.

2 tidbits:
Some people mentioned auto-shutoff at either 15 or 30 minutes, but my 2016 cig lighter socket was powered at 16 minutes.
After turning off the car (from on or acc mode), you have to open/close the DRIVER door to power off dash and brake lights. If you exit via passenger door, car will not shut off, leaving dashboard and brake lights on (for 30 minutes, I assume).

·
Registered
149 Posts
I tried my brand-new CTEK MXS 5.0 today, but my 2016 Macan S (June 2015 delivery) DOES automatically power off the cigarette lighter socket after 30 minutes.
I'm curious, as the new owner of a CTEK MXS 5.0 as well, what LEDs are lit (or not lit) on the unit if the 12V cig lighter is powered off?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm curious, as the new owner of a CTEK MXS 5.0 as well, what LEDs are lit (or not lit) on the unit if the 12V cig lighter is powered off?
When 12V big lighter socket is off, the CTEK power light flashes green, and the status number lights all turn off.

I checked on the CTEK this morning after leaving it connected via alligator clips, and it was still at Status 4, and MFD showed 11.6V when key set to Acc (did charge some).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just received my MXS 5.0 for my 2017 Macan S. I followed the instructions from this forum about turning the key on then off once the charger is installed. It worked flawlessly. The battery was fully charged this morning when I went drive the car.

Thanks to the forum for the help.

241 - 260 of 346 Posts