Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Porsche recommends if you don't drive daily, or leave vehicle for extended periods that you should use their charger (of course) but I already have the C-tek charger and the comfort adaptor (plug-in) which I'm pretty sure is the same charger. Anyway, they say to charge it through a 12v receptacle in the vehicle but I notice all the 12v receptacles "switch off" when the vehicle is left unattended so I'm wondering if anyone has charged this way yet and if it stays on when charging. I'm going to be leaving the vehicle unattended for a vacation and want to leave the maintainer on, prevents sulfation and improves battery longevity, not to mention the battery draining.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I spoke to the Porsche mechanic when I was at the shop. He told me the lighter outlet shuts off after 30 min and to use the terminals under the hood. They do not stay on when charging, I tried it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking too. Just seems odd that the Porsche literature says to use a 12v socket. I know it switches off as I have a radar detector plugged into one and it turns itself off after a while. Would have been nice to be able to use one of the 12v sockets for the charger/maintainer as I have a nice comfort adaptor for just that purpose. Maybe I'll rewire the one in the back at some point so it stays live.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Page 316 of Owner's manual indicates the use of terminals for jump start in Macan as connectors for battery charge. The cigarette lighter is switched off after 15 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
8,465 Posts
Page 316 of Owner's manual indicates the use of terminals for jump start in Macan as connectors for battery charge. The cigarette lighter is switched off after 15 minutes.
That is to jump start the car, not for slow trickle charging.

You guys need to try it. Plug the ctek into the cigarette ligher and walk away. Come back in an hour. Lights still on? All is good. Lights off, well you need another way to charge. Connect directly to the battery with the eyelets.

·
Registered
375 Posts
That is to jump start the car, not for slow trickle charging.

You guys need to try it. Plug the ctek into the cigarette ligher and walk away. Come back in an hour. Lights still on? All is good. Lights off, well you need another way to charge. Connect directly to the battery with the eyelets.
@grim, what do sports car owners do for winter storage if they don't have ctek or no place to plug it? Do they disconnect the battery in winter and hope for the best come spring?

·
Registered
20 Posts
battery maintenance

I have hooked up the ctek to ALL the 12v outlets. They all shut off after about 30min. Apparently the Macan, unlike other Porsches, does not allow continual power to the 12v outlets. I have mine attached directly to the battery. I had to clip and file each of the eyelets to form a "C" to properly hook on the battery terminal bolts. I leave the tail in the trunk wheel well and hook the ctek to this tail when charging. In my 2013 Audi S8 I have been charging through the the terminals under the hood without problems. Could not do it directly to the battery because the power trunk would not close over the cord--too sensitive I guess. The Macan power trunk is not too sensitive so a direct hook up works great.

·
Super Moderator
8,465 Posts
I have hooked up the ctek to ALL the 12v outlets. They all shut off after about 30min. Apparently the Macan, unlike other Porsches, does not allow continual power to the 12v outlets. I have mine attached directly to the battery.
Discouraging. In that case, I would do what you did. Leave it hooked up directly.

@grim, what do sports car owners do for winter storage if they don't have ctek or no place to plug it? Do they disconnect the battery in winter and hope for the best come spring?
You buy a CTEK. The most expensive one is around $100 Amazon.com: CTEK Multi US 7002 12V Battery Charger: Automotive or you don't survive. The forums are strewn with threads with people who decided their new Porsche was just like the Toyota they used to have and learned the hard way "but my I left my "fill in the brand car here" for two months and it started right up ... blah blah blah" Although I think I see that more in the second and third hand cars. A kid will pick up an 8 year old 987 for $25 - $30K and expect to be like their $20K Scion or BRZ and find out no, now you got maintenance cost of a $70K sports car.

Of course some will buy some knock off on eBay or something but I think most figure if you got a $100K car you trust it with a reliable brand. Modern smart chargers are very good.

If you do not have a place to plug it in during the winter and don't drive it, well you are in trouble. This is an issue. If I lived in an apartment or some place with communal parking today, I would get some snow tires and drive it all winter.

I think the issue is that the electronics had gotten ridiculous. 30 years ago it wasn't like this. I was in a place with communal parking and had no battery problems. But from about 2005 on, I would never own one without having a place to plug it in.

I don't know about Macan batteries but Porsche batteries do not come with the acid in there. I know. They need to fill it and then charge it for 6 hours or something like that. It takes all day. Been there, done that. Not fun. And it will cost $$$. Its not like going to sears for a Diehard and being in and out in 60 minutes.

I hate the batteries. :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK, so a really dumb question: if the point of the trickle charger is to keep your battery charged, how does that happen if the charger is plugged in to a cigarette lighter that draws current from the same battery it's suppose to be charging? Don't you always have to plug the charger into an external outlet for it to work, no matter what the make of car?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
OK, so a really dumb question: if the point of the trickle charger is to keep your battery charged, how does that happen if the charger is plugged in to a cigarette lighter that draws current from the same battery it's suppose to be charging? Don't you always have to plug the charger into an external outlet for it to work, no matter what the make of car?
Yup; chargers work much better if you plug their other end into an external outlet:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
As to the "Dumb Question". One end of the charger is always plugged into the external outlet. The question was can you plug the other end into the 12v power outlet i.e. cig lighter or does it have to be plugged directly into the battery? in the case of the Macan it has to be plugged directly into the battery! this latter action can be accomplished either by going to the battery in the trunk or the terminals under the hood.

·
Registered
61 Posts
So I know the old adage, there's no stupid questions, just stupid people...but given that I need to understand something. I travel pretty regularly for work and leave my car at the airport for several days at a time. Am I supposed to be seriously concerned about coming home from a 4-5 day business trip and worried that the car won't start?? That seems pretty ridiculous to me...
I get people who don't drive certain cars for months at a time during the winter, but do I really need to be concerned about the battery on this car after sitting for a week?

Reactions: Mark Anderson

·
Registered
395 Posts
You buy a CTEK. The most expensive one is around $100 Amazon.com: CTEK Multi US 7002 12V Battery Charger: Automotive or you don't survive....Of course some will buy some knock off on eBay or something but I think most figure if you got a $100K car you trust it with a reliable brand. Modern smart chargers are very good.
I'm wondering if the CTEK brand is needed. I already have one of these:
which I've used successfully on other batteries. It is automatic and does shut off when it sense the battery is fully charged, then turns on as needed after that. I'd rather not buy another one, but would if there's any doubt that my existing one wouldn't do the job or cause some type of harm.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Reactions: windblow

·
Super Moderator
8,465 Posts
Am I supposed to be seriously concerned about coming home from a 4-5 day business trip and worried that the car won't start??
No, you should be fine. If the car was fully charged, you parked outside and its below zero for 5 days, it should be OK. I guess you can tell everyone else the first time. You all are the guinea pigs I guess. If it were me, I'd try it. I wouldn't with a sports car but with a CUV, no one knows yet.

I'd rather not buy another one, but would if there's any doubt that my existing one wouldn't do the job or cause some type of harm.
I changed this. I don't think so. Your battery is likely AGM. Does your charger handle AGM batteries?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
@sandmn is correct. Suncoast ad for the Porsche dual mode charger instructs that the Macan, unlike other Porsche models, must be charged through battery (and you need adapter plugs, at least for the "official" charger).

Porsche Dual-Mode Battery Charger:porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment
Good to know. I have used cigarette plugs with my Ctek for years on my 911s and thought the Macan would be the same. Don't think I have any need to charge since my Macan is a dd.:)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Haven't looked for the battery location yet. I did just turn on the car to activate the sockets and plugged in my Ctek, will check it in a while and see if it goes off. I was surprised when I plugged the adapter in that it indicated that it needed charging. That Porsche charger sure looks like a Ctek US 3300, except the 3300 also has an extra snowflake mode for Optima and AGM. I already had the 3300 as it's recommended for MF powersports batteries.

·
Super Moderator
8,465 Posts
You don't want that one. I believe that is old technlogy. The "chargematic II" came out around 2009ish? The V1 older than that, maybe 2005 or before?

Here is why. The new ones are far more sophisticated and you can watch the progress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_oI3jdlD84

Why pay the Porsche tax for old technology? Also @Mechanic is right. No snowflake mode. Your battery is AGM. Look at your voltmeter. Put in sport plus and watch. It charges at 14.7v or should. That ctek is for "normal" batteries.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So after I turned off the Macan and the 12v sockets were still active, I plugged in the Ctek and left it charging. 4hrs later and it's still charging. As a check I turned the charger off and back on and it won't charge unless I turn the ignition back on(have to have key present) to wake up the system and activate the circuit again. It would appear that the charger keeps the circuit awake. The only problem I envisage is if there is a household power outage as the charger would then stop charging when it comes back on. The idea of leaving the charger hooked up to a UPS doesn't really appeal to me, seems overkill. I am thinking that it would be simpler if there were one socket that was active at all times and none of the ones in the cabin area are, I haven't checked the one in the rear cargo area yet.

Reactions: wmras
1 - 20 of 291 Posts