Porsche Macan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Why not "Macan Turbo 4S e-hybrid Weissach Performance Package GT4 exclusive limited edition"? If all that doesn't fit on the hatch door you can always add letters on the sides of the car.
:laugh:

He makes a good point. "Base" is so degrading.

How about "Macan Carrera 4 Turbo"? "718 Macan"?

Amen. And I say this after having driven over 2,500 km (some 1.5K miles) in the last days on my wife's new Cayenne S e-Hybrid. It's an amazing car; extremely comfortable, versatile, with an unbelievable chassis and suspension, it even feels good from a standstill due to the torque added by the electric drive and the performance is great for such a big and heavy vehicle. But let's be honest with ourselves; when the ICE kicks in... yes, it's lacking soul adn excitement. The engine, though very capable and a very good fit for a family car (supercharged, so no noticeable lag; linear acceleration, relatively silent and delivering enough power to accelerate up a hill loaded with a family of four and far more luggage than is needed for 10 days away), is un-Porsche (and the 8-speed tiptronic doesn't help). Boy, it felt good to start my cold GTS on Friday :)

Won't comment on the Macan's 4-cylinder engine.
Fully agreed. They're both V6's, make similar power, but they feel and sound entirely different, and one is devoid of soulfulness while the Macan V6 is about as full of character as you'll find from a boosted V6, especially with PSE. My friends GTR felt more blah (not in power, in "soul") and sounded like crap.

Engines are the most transparent performance related element where you can really feel/hear/tell who and what engineering character is behind it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
We all know the reason why the 2.0 Turbo does not have 330 bhp.

- When Macan was designed and developed som 10 years ago, the VAG did not have the 2.0 TSFI engine ready. The older V6 turbo engine was avaliable.
- A superefficient 2.0 Turbo engine (what the whole car world is turning to) with 330 bhp would have been to close to the V6's 340 bhp. Just guess which one people would have bought.
- Now quite a few tuners offer customers what Porsche would not supply. Waiting for a BurgerTuning JB4 myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Back to the original question gentleman!
So my wife and I attended the autocross on Sunday and since she's new to autocrossing she didn't do too well. But that's okay; it's mostly about having fun and driving cars in a way you couldn't do it (legally) on public roads. There was just one other Macan S there that better her time by 1.5 sec (also lady in her 2nd year autocrossing). And she was okay with that until she found out that since she was the only lady in the B1 class and the other lady was the only lady in B3 class they pair them up and gave the win (and the trophy) to the other lady. I told her to use that as motivation and try harder next time because most likely she will be competing against that Macan S all the time. I know it’s a matter of time and she will beat that Macan S! And that “base” Macan driven by an unexperienced autocrosser beat couple Caymans and other none SUV cars!
And that takes me back to the original question - how to launch this thing little faster. And on Sunday that split second wouldn’t make much difference but sometimes you just need that 0.2 or 0.3 seconds. So yes, some of your responses were very funny and amusing; none of them answer my question though. So on Saturday before the autocross I took my wife's Macan under excuse that I needed to burn some of the gas (she had 3/4 of the tank) and experimented with it little more. None of your suggestions work since this car will NOT build RPM and hold it while standing still and braking. However there's split second where the RPM will build up to around 1800 and if you time it well you might launch it with 1800 rpm vs idle. More testing is needed though to determine how much does this really helps (if any). I tried different modes and manual shifting and that’s the best I came up with. My wife wouldn’t try it on Sunday because she started to use the hold option and likes it.
As a side note, some of the cars on Sunday were using the launch control option on the starting line.
And another note to the base model haters, cheer up, your car is not that special. No matter what you drive there are others that drive nicer and more exclusive cars then you. Enjoy what you have no matter what that might be.
Either way, you help is much appreciated and I will update you if I find something new worth reporting on this subject.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Glad your wife had fun! It doesn't sound like she had a bad showing at all.

I will admit that I was dismayed when Porsche brought out the 4-banger base. And doubtless, the reasons for my discontent are purely my own, individual issues. Porsche will do what Porsche will do. They clearly do not seem to care much about what we think about their options, pricing, engines, etc.

However, I understand the various sides of the spectrum. I have an S, and I take offense to the suggestion that I bought it because (at the time) it was the cheapest way "into the Badge". My journey that ended with me in a Macan S began with a vehicle brand reliability and satisfaction search that, surprisingly to me at the time, revealed that Porsche had eclipsed Toyota in this regard. Though I am certainly enamoured of the brand now, having experienced it in multiple aspects, it was never a goal of mine to own a Porsche. In fact, to this day, I park remotely at work and few know what I drive. I just love the satisfaction it gives me.

I suspect that many here with a given trim level of Macan, myself included, could have "afforded" a higher trim level, but, for whatever individual reasons govern such decisions, opted for a "lesser" trim. So let's all drive on in safety and harmony and reliability and higher performance.

If there's anyone at whom one should be upset about these things, it can only be Porsche itself. But why waste your energy...?

·
Registered
338 Posts
@ZH2017 good luck shaving of those pesky 10th of seconds.
My advise is to drive smooth and avoid small steering wheel movements. Choose a gear that can do most of the Autocross course. Changing gears is a time thief. My experience with M4 in Autocross a car with similar gearbox to Macan. Holding down the pedal and change gears. Also do not disengage the traction control. Never let a man /woman do what a machine can do better.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Glad your wife had fun! It doesn't sound like she had a bad showing at all.

I will admit that I was dismayed when Porsche brought out the 4-banger base. And doubtless, the reasons for my discontent are purely my own, individual issues. Porsche will do what Porsche will do. They clearly do not seem to care much about what we think about their options, pricing, engines, etc.

However, I understand the various sides of the spectrum. I have an S, and I take offense to the suggestion that I bought it because (at the time) it was the cheapest way "into the Badge". My journey that ended with me in a Macan S began with a vehicle brand reliability and satisfaction search that, surprisingly to me at the time, revealed that Porsche had eclipsed Toyota in this regard. Though I am certainly enamoured of the brand now, having experienced it in multiple aspects, it was never a goal of mine to own a Porsche. In fact, to this day, I park remotely at work and few know what I drive. I just love the satisfaction it gives me.

I suspect that many here with a given trim level of Macan, myself included, could have "afforded" a higher trim level, but, for whatever individual reasons govern such decisions, opted for a "lesser" trim. So let's all drive on in safety and harmony and reliability and higher performance.

If there's anyone at whom one should be upset about these things, it can only be Porsche itself. But why waste your energy...?

Nicely done!

·
Registered
258 Posts
You might consider talking to your local Porsche Service Manager about how to "launch" it.
I find my guy has many answers to my questions.
As much as I like my S, I like my wife's Base almost as much.
Hers is outfitted with nicer trim & options, so it feels way more luxurious.
She and I can push it as hard as we want ( in day to day driving), and it's not lacking anything. Yeah we might not be able to take the Corvette at the red light, but we are beside him at the next red light.

I didn't realize how loud the S actually is first thing in the morning. She had to take mine out last week, and the start up sound woke me up, and I could hear her driving down the alley. I felt bad for my neighbours, as I never realized how the rumble echoed inside our homes.

We don't autocross, or track them. The only time I "need" that extra power is when I am playing and doing things I should not be doing on public roads around where I am.

Not that I watch my mileage, but I am jealous she can easily get over 600kms on tank when I get around 475kms. Just means I have to get out and fill it up way more often that she does.

If you find a way to get the RPMs to stay up high before releasing the brake, let us know.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
So my wife and I attended the autocross on Sunday and since she's new to autocrossing she didn't do too well. But that's okay; it's mostly about having fun and driving cars in a way you couldn't do it (legally) on public roads. There was just one other Macan S there that better her time by 1.5 sec (also lady in her 2nd year autocrossing). And she was okay with that until she found out that since she was the only lady in the B1 class and the other lady was the only lady in B3 class they pair them up and gave the win (and the trophy) to the other lady. I told her to use that as motivation and try harder next time because most likely she will be competing against that Macan S all the time. I know it’s a matter of time and she will beat that Macan S! And that “base” Macan driven by an unexperienced autocrosser beat couple Caymans and other none SUV cars!
And that takes me back to the original question - how to launch this thing little faster. And on Sunday that split second wouldn’t make much difference but sometimes you just need that 0.2 or 0.3 seconds. So yes, some of your responses were very funny and amusing; none of them answer my question though. So on Saturday before the autocross I took my wife's Macan under excuse that I needed to burn some of the gas (she had 3/4 of the tank) and experimented with it little more. None of your suggestions work since this car will NOT build RPM and hold it while standing still and braking. However there's split second where the RPM will build up to around 1800 and if you time it well you might launch it with 1800 rpm vs idle. More testing is needed though to determine how much does this really helps (if any). I tried different modes and manual shifting and that’s the best I came up with. My wife wouldn’t try it on Sunday because she started to use the hold option and likes it.
As a side note, some of the cars on Sunday were using the launch control option on the starting line.
And another note to the base model haters, cheer up, your car is not that special. No matter what you drive there are others that drive nicer and more exclusive cars then you. Enjoy what you have no matter what that might be.
Either way, you help is much appreciated and I will update you if I find something new worth reporting on this subject.
Good to hear you two had fun; just attending the event and watching all those cars autocrossing must be fun, and if on top your wife is competing, then twice as fun!

I would not agree to your last comment, though; I think all our Macans are special, regardless of the model; perhaps some flavors are a bit more special than others, and there will always be a more special car than our Macans and other more special cars than those other nicer and more exclusive cars you refer to. Let's enjoy what we have, and let's give ourselves the possiblity to discuss the pros and cons of the models we have or we favor. And if we allow each other to do so with a bit of humor, even better.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I feel my Macan was special enough to where I'm missing it and even if I look at $100+K cars now, most fall short of what it offered. And it wasn't even a GTS.

The mere engineering and unique experience they offer makes them quite special. The fact that they're so "affordable" for the experience and capability they can generate doesn't detract from that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I realize this is an old post but figured I'd toss out my answer anyways - came across it searching for autocross info on Macans.

From my own experience with my wife's 2017 Base Macan (which does NOT have Sport Chrono/Sport Plus) - there is definitely an "easter egg" launch control. Press brake pedal HARD. When you floor the gas - make sure it's floored and floored far enough to hit the "kickdown switch" at the bottom. Revs should sit at 4000? Release brake and off you go.

I've found if I don't floor it to the point where I click the little switch at the bottom - I get what you describe, 2000rpm for a second then nothing. Seems you also have to floor it quickly. HARD brake press, then quickly FLOOR it all the way down. Works every time for me when I do it this way.

And, to be honest, comparing my wife's Base, to a loaner "Sport Edition" Base with Sport Chrono? The "easter egg" launch control works better! Her car launches at 4000. The Sport Chrono Macan, when using the officlal "launch control" left at a higher RPM (5000? Maybe more?) and instead of a strong smooth pull away from the line, it jumped, bit, and bogged.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
@OmniGLH, thanks for the info. Old post or not, I think it's still relevant.

When I was receiving my 45 minutes (my wife and I split the hour and an half) of instruction at the Atlanta PEC, back in Oct. 2017, the instructor mentioned that a bit, i.e., the "poor man's launch control." He noted that they do it all the time in non-Chrono'd Macans, I gathered without incident, and that the difference was, as you said, just a lower RPM, as compared to the official version.

I wasn't paying complete attention, as there was a lot going through my mind at the time. And I've never tried it on my Macan S, which has only the stock Sport button, and nothing else along those lines. In any case, I have two questions, which you or someone else might be able to answer:

1) Do you know whether the procedure you've described results in an internal tug-of-war, albeit a brief one?

That is, I've heard in an informal chat or two that the official launch control disconnects the PDK to some extent, until your foot comes off the brake, while without the official launch control the throttle is fighting with the brakes (until they're actually released). Do you know if any of this is true?

2) It's my understanding (from nebulous reading, I guess) or assumption that the turbos spool up during the official launch control, i.e., before the car is actually moving.

Do you know whether that's also the case with the unofficial method, too (assuming that is the case, with the official version)? Or does the method you describe merely benefit from a healthy increase in (non-pressurized) RPM vs. normal starting off?

Thanks for any insight on this.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Why launch the Base Macan? It’s slower than most cars on the road.

Well, maybe I m exaggerating a bit. But most 2.0L turbo sedans are faster.

·
Registered
43 Posts
@OmniGLH, thanks for the info. Old post or not, I think it's still relevant.

When I was receiving my 45 minutes (my wife and I split the hour and an half) of instruction at the Atlanta PEC, back in Oct. 2017, the instructor mentioned that a bit, i.e., the "poor man's launch control." He noted that they do it all the time in non-Chrono'd Macans, I gathered without incident, and that the difference was, as you said, just a lower RPM, as compared to the official version.

I wasn't paying complete attention, as there was a lot going through my mind at the time. And I've never tried it on my Macan S, which has only the stock Sport button, and nothing else along those lines. In any case, I have two questions, which you or someone else might be able to answer:

1) Do you know whether the procedure you've described results in an internal tug-of-war, albeit a brief one?

That is, I've heard in an informal chat or two that the official launch control disconnects the PDK to some extent, until your foot comes off the brake, while without the official launch control the throttle is fighting with the brakes (until they're actually released). Do you know if any of this is true?

2) It's my understanding (from nebulous reading, I guess) or assumption that the turbos spool up during the official launch control, i.e., before the car is actually moving.

Do you know whether that's also the case with the unofficial method, too (assuming that is the case, with the official version)? Or does the method you describe merely benefit from a healthy increase in (non-pressurized) RPM vs. normal starting off?

Thanks for any insight on this.
No it's not like it's an automatic. There's no tugging or loading, the motor revs freely until you let go of the brake.

It's actually common now with "drive by wire" vehicles (where you don't actually have a cable between the gas pedal and engine, it's all electronics) to only allow one or the other (brake or gas). Think of the Toyota situation a few years ago... the ECMs are designed to default to brake pedal if the computer sees input from both pedals at once. Safety issue.

The fact that this works is a clear clue this was coded this way on purpose.

I have no way to monitor boost on the base (no "boost" output on the cluster) but I'm sure it's generating some. The 2.0T turbo is tiny, I'm sure it's building something. It might build MORE with SC but really, having launched both - the non-SC does it better!

Why launch the Base Macan? It’s slower than most cars on the road.

Well, maybe I m exaggerating a bit. But most 2.0L turbo sedans are faster.
Hey wow thanks for the helpful comment.

I'll bite anyways. Why launch? Because maybe it's fun? The 2.0 gets a lot of bashing which I don't understand. Ive owned a long list of performance cars... stuff I've tracked, stuff I've drag raced, stuff I've street raced. Corvette Z06, big turbo Eagle Talon, big turbo Dodge Omni, big turbo 944 Turbo, 2 street Boxsters, a Spec Boxster, my Cayman with a 4.0L, my Cayman with a DFI 3.4. Driving the 2.0T Macan against an S, the S is the one that doesn't impress me. It's quicker, but only really noticeable on the highway (which I admit is where the 2.0 is a pretty disappointing). But around town? If you drive with a heavier foot to keep the transmission from shifting at 1400rpm, it runs pretty good if you ask me. If I'm in a mood to go blinding fast, I'd drive something else. But it scratches the itch well enough for day to day, and the launch from a light is plenty to catch somebody off guard :)

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Stop light races are about reaction time, or not thereof (hitting the other driver unexpectedly). I have seen plenty Toyota’s beating BMW, etc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Stop light races are about reaction time, or not thereof (hitting the other driver unexpectedly). I have seen plenty Toyota’s beating BMW, etc.
Indeed.

Automatic trans helps too. I wouldn't race a Camry from a light in my Cayman.

On the flip side... I "race" guys all the time in my Cayenne Diesel. It's enough to get out front. If it's a kid in the next lane I usually shut it down and hit the flashers to declare the "win" before he has a chance to pass, just for fun. ;)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Indeed.

Automatic trans helps too. I wouldn't race a Camry from a light in my Cayman.

On the flip side... I "race" guys all the time in my Cayenne Diesel. It's enough to get out front. If it's a kid in the next lane I usually shut it down and hit the flashers to declare the "win" before he has a chance to pass, just for fun. ;)
The stop light racers that always win over in Lugano CH are the kids on their scooters. The signals go from red to yellow to green. It is just like the drag strips. They would beat my Ducati on a regular basis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The base model with 2.0 turbo does not come with launch control.
What would be the best way to launch it from stand still?
My wife started autocrossing it and I feel that she loosing good 1/2 second on the starting line.
From standstill when you press the gas pedal initially the car is slow until the turbo kicks in.
I was wondering if anyone found a way to squeal those tires from the standstill.
Thanks.
hey sorry to revive this thread, my gf does have a Macan its a base model, and it does have lauch control we are located in port-au-prince Haiti and the car does have LC. I keep on reading that the base model does not have LC is it maybe North American models that do not have it? let me know if i should post a video. and for the record its a base model NO sport chrono, NO sport plus just basic

·
Registered
2018 Macan Sport Edition
61 Posts
My Macan has Sport Chrono, PASM with air suspension, 21" wheels with performance tires, Sport Exhaust and some other nice performance options. It also has the 2.0 Turbo engine.

It didn't take me long to figure out that the performance options really make the car, and even with the 2.0 engine it is a VERY fun car for spirited drives. The fact that there's an APR Stage 1 ECU tune available that will boost power and torque by 25% while retaining reliability means that if I ever feel I need more power, it's just an ECU tune away.

The VW/Audi 2.0 EA888 is a stout and tunable engine. Some may say why would I buy such a loaded base model... well to me the 2.0 engine wasn't a significant detriment, and I'd rather have the options i have with the 2.0 than have a Macan S without those options.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Throw on that aftermarket bigger $2k Turbo kit, a Cobb tune and more free flowing exhaust and you can launch all day in a 350 bhp 2.0T!

41 - 60 of 64 Posts