Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Click your heels twice, tap the "Menu" button 3 times, hold the drivers window switch up for 4 seconds, pop the hood, install a V6. You should see a nice improvement in times.

·
Registered
636 Posts
With the heading:-

Base model - what's the best way to launch it?

I am surprized that someone has not answered..... off a cliff with a prevailing wind!

One thing that I cannot grasp is that the 4 cylinder Boxster and Caymans are not achieving the sales with a lot of negative comments on the 4 pot engine as not being a proper Porsche yet the 4 pot Macan has a very protective set of owners

Reactions: Hokie

·
Registered
738 Posts

I am surprized that someone has not answered..... off a cliff with a prevailing wind!

One thing that I cannot grasp is that the 4 cylinder Boxster and Caymans are not achieving the sales with a lot of negative comments on the 4 pot engine as not being a proper Porsche yet the 4 pot Macan has a very protective set of owners

We like our Base Macans. Fast enough for me and my needs and I would suspect others feel the same.

·
Registered
338 Posts

Easy answer there are NO V6 twin turbo models of the 718 range. But there are owners of twin turbo Macans who likes to portray themselves as having made far superior choices. Single turbo Macan just as twin turbo Macans have their virtues.

·
Registered
455 Posts

The base Macan combination of the 4 and lighter body is amazing.

·
Registered
636 Posts

Protective owners

I rest my case

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
The Boxster 4 and Macan 4 motors couldn't be any different. 718's get a Boxer 4 made and designed by Porsche (like the Macan V6's) and while it sounds horrible compared to Flat 6's and even V6's, it makes a much better sound than an Inline 4. Sound aside, it's a very good motor that makes torque like a muscle car. It just doesn't have character, "soul" or sound, nor is it rewarding to rev high. That's what hurts its sales.

The Base Macan has a very different 4 cylinder that's carried over from other economical VAG brands. Still, the Macan is judged on a very different level. Most (not all) base owners are just looking for the cheapest way to get into the badge (that was also said to some degrees about S buyers especially before the Base came out), it's not nearly judged with the fine toothed comb the 718 is, thus it gets less intensive criticism. The 718 is a miraculous car, but enthusiasts rip it for good reason (losing its character and auditory sensations). Hence the dichotomy.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
More drivel from TheBrit and K-A. I've got the popcorn going so I will sit back and read the nonsense. It's entertaining. Carry on.
Exactly what part is drivel? The fact that its slower and makes less power than the Boxer 4? Or that it sounds worse than the V6 and Boxer 4 (c'mon, let's not pretend this is even remotely "subjective," it's about as subjective as saying a Macan V6 sounds as good as a pre-facelift Cayenne GTS N/A V8)? Or saying that its not designed or built by Porsche? Or saying that most Base Macan owners are looking for the cheapest way to get into the badge? I have news for you, that's how it works for entry level models across all car manufacturers. The Macan in itself has been in that position since it came out.

These are not even opinions, but statement of facts.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Exactly what part is drivel? The fact that its slower and makes less power than the Boxer 4? Or that it sounds worse than the V6 and Boxer 4 (c'mon, let's not pretend this is even remotely "subjective," it's about as subjective as saying a Macan V6 sounds as good as a pre-facelift Cayenne GTS N/A V8)? Or saying that its not designed or built by Porsche? Or saying that most Base Macan owners are looking for the cheapest way to get into the badge? I have news for you, that's how it works for entry level models across all car manufacturers. The Macan in itself has been in that position since it came out.

These are not even opinions, but statement of facts.

It's a Base model. It is going to be slower than the higher trims. The statement about the badge is subjective but surely the lower trims will sell better due to price.

I don't care that the engine is a VW/Audi. Heck, most of the parts underneath are Audi parts. Sound? Yes, the Base lacks the sound of the others.

I've read your stuff for years on here and you are part of a few who make it a point to bash the Base. I don't rip anyone here for their choices...it's not my money.

TheBrit is another one. It's funny to read. Laughable. It surely is divisive but still funny.

This could be a great forum. Instead it's a good one. Never saw this condescending tone on any VW forum. It was more of a community. This must be because of the P badge.

Enjoy your next build and debate the merits of heated seats like you did earlier today. You could just get the Premium Plus package and call it a day but I'm sure you will nickel and dime your way through the process.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
It's a Base model. It is going to be slower than the higher trims. The statement about the badge is subjective but surely the lower trims will sell better due to price.

I don't care that the engine is a VW/Audi. Heck, most of the parts underneath are Audi parts. Sound? Yes, the Base lacks the sound of the others.

I've read your stuff for years on here and you are part of a few who make it a point to bash the Base. I don't rip anyone here for their choices...it's not my money.

TheBrit is another one. It's funny to read. Laughable. It surely is divisive but still funny.

This could be a great forum. Instead it's a good one. Never saw this condescending tone on any VW forum. It was more of a community. This is must be because of the P badge.

Enjoy your next build and debate the merits of heated seats like you did earlier today. You could just get the Premium Plus package and call it a day but I'm sure you will nickel and dime your way through the process.
You must have not have frequented a lot of forums, because this is peanuts compared to what happened on BMW forums when they went to 4 cylinders (even made by BMW), or take a trip to Rennlist and see the enthusiast wars between the "torqueless" Flat 6's and the "fast but soulless" turbo Flat 6's) or Cayman forums with their "slow but amazing sounding N/A F6's" vs "crappy sounding and too torquey but much faster F4's."

It's par for the course and any enthusiast community worth its weight engages in it. You can't expect a 6+ second 0-60 VW sourced 4 pot that lives in (and sounds identical to) a large swath of VAG economy cars to be put in a Porsche being pumped out at dealers like a 5 Series while already using an Audi basis to not get jabbed by enthusiasts. Just like back before the Base came out, S vs Turbo debates were way more heated, and that's considering they both use Porsche V6's with "merely" a 60 HP difference! Or how Cayenne's were treated, or Macan's in general, or Panamera's, water cooled vs air cooled, etc.

It comes with the territory.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Been on several auto forums and on this one for several years as I wanted to get the Macan diesel. Like all of us here, I enjoy this stuff. I don't get the disdain for the Base. So it doesn't meet your standards. It's every bit a Porsche just a lower trim. Handling is great, it's lighter, gets good mileage.

To you the Base is not a real Porsche because it has a VW/Audi engine.

If you experienced this crap on a BMW forum, it surely must be badge-related.

To me, the real beauty of Porsche ownership is building one exactly the way one chooses.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Been on several auto forums and on this one for several years as I wanted to get the Macan diesel. Like all of us here, I enjoy this stuff. I don't get the disdain for the Base. So it doesn't meet your standards. It's every bit a Porsche just a lower trim. Handling is great, it's lighter, gets good mileage.

To you the Base is not a real Porsche because it has a VW/Audi engine.

If you experienced this crap on a BMW forum, it surely must be badge-related.

To me, the real beauty of Porsche ownership is building one exactly the way one chooses.
Honestly, think about it, thinking a car without a Porsche engine isn't a real (let's call it a "full") Porsche isn't far fetched. Many people said this of the Macan in general but once it was proven that the chassis drove more like a real Porsche than its 4 door siblings, it seems people stopped making a fuss about it. Still, you can't compare an engine and a chassis. Engines are what they are, while chassis are essentially the basic blueprint of a car, where Porsche can literally make their own.

If it makes you feel better, I think that the Macan even with a V6 is "only" 70-80% Porsche (which is exactly its Porsche build content). The Base dropping that content significantly considering the outsourced engine is both literally, and in my head, proportionally "less Porsche."

Reactions: ABusLux

·
Registered
738 Posts
Honestly, think about it, thinking a car without a Porsche engine isn't a real (let's call it a "full") Porsche isn't far fetched. Many people said this of the Macan in general but once it was proven that the chassis drove more like a real Porsche than its 4 door siblings, it seems people stopped making a fuss about it. Still, you can't compare an engine and a chassis. Engines are what they are, while chassis are essentially the basic blueprint of a car, where Porsche can literally make their own.

If it makes you feel better, I think that the Macan even with a V6 is "only" 70-80% Porsche (which is exactly its Porsche build content). The Base dropping that content significantly considering the outsourced engine is both literally, and in my head, proportionally "less Porsche."

I feel great about my build. No regrets. I would add ACC next time, though. The Base is quick enough for me. Shhhh... though we all know it doesn't have a Porsche engine, who will really know?

My Touareg V8 FSI had an Audi engine. My Touareg V6 TDI had an Audi engine. The Macan diesel is an Audi engine...basically the same V6 TDI in all VAG vehicles.

I suspect you will see more sharing of parts, DNA, etc. across all VAG vehicles. If you really want a pure Porsche, then a Macan or Cayenne is not the one to get.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I feel great about my build. No regrets. I would add ACC next time, though. The Base is quick enough for me. Shhhh... though we all know it doesn't have a Porsche engine, who will really know?

My Touareg V8 FSI had an Audi engine. My Touareg V6 TDI had an Audi engine. The Macan diesel is an Audi engine...basically the same V6 TDI in all VAG vehicles.

I suspect you will see more sharing of parts, DNA, etc. across all VAG vehicles. If you really want a pure Porsche, then a Macan or Cayenne is not the one to get.
I realize that, but to me you can feel the nuances (both large and small) of a different engine every time you press the gas. Those Audi V6's in Cayenne's and Panny Hybrids feel and sound nothing like a Porsche, even though they have about the same HP. Every time I've had a Cayenne or Panny Hybrid loaner, the experience is sorely lacking in the visceral and motor-related aspect. Something that changes the second I start up my (old) Macan. Those things are important to why I personally buy a Porsche. As for who else will know, I don't buy my cars for other people, but every time the engine and exhaust note is emitted, it's pretty obvious.

Certain parts can be shared without noticing and be tuned to fit a manufacturers character. Chassis to some degrees, even transmissions, even suspensions to some degrees. Engines are the heart and soul of a car (ICE car, at least), no way to really trick your way around that.

Reactions: ABusLux

·
Registered
738 Posts
I realize that, but to me you can feel the nuances (both large and small) of a different engine every time you press the gas. Those Audi V6's in Cayenne's and Panny Hybrids feel and sound nothing like a Porsche, even though they have about the same HP. Every time I've had a Cayenne or Panny Hybrid loaner, the experience is sorely lacking in the visceral and motor-related aspect. Something that changes the second I start up my (old) Macan. Those things are important to why I personally buy a Porsche. As for who else will know, I don't buy my cars for other people, but every time the engine and exhaust note is emitted, it's pretty obvious.

Certain parts can be shared without noticing and be tuned to fit a manufacturers character. Chassis to some degrees, even transmissions, even suspensions to some degrees. Engines are the heart and soul of a car (ICE car, at least), no way to really trick your way around that.

I don't care what people know is under the hood. My comment was tongue-in-cheek. In fact, I don't care about a lot of those things. If I did, I would pay $90k and get a Turbo and make everyone notice.

Point is, you build a Porsche to your liking. I build one to mine. This forum is a great place to get info. The engine and sound are important to you and many others but it's not a top priority for everyone.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I advise all Macan 2.0 Turbo (has quit naming my Turbo Porsche the degrading namn Base) to get a turbo emblem and reposition the emblems on the hatchdoor. All Macan models deserves quad exhaust Systems enabling a great exhaust sound.
Why is it so hard for some "enthusiasts" to embrace all cars and brands, models, engines etc? Seams like some just has an urge to shine and preferably shine more compared to the ones with cheaper (more economical) and a few mph slower cars. Sad story.

Contemplating adding an "S" next to the turbo sign.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I realize that, but to me you can feel the nuances (both large and small) of a different engine every time you press the gas. Those Audi V6's in Cayenne's and Panny Hybrids feel and sound nothing like a Porsche, even though they have about the same HP. Every time I've had a Cayenne or Panny Hybrid loaner, the experience is sorely lacking in the visceral and motor-related aspect. Something that changes the second I start up my (old) Macan.
Amen. And I say this after having driven over 2,500 km (some 1.5K miles) in the last days on my wife's new Cayenne S e-Hybrid. It's an amazing car; extremely comfortable, versatile, with an unbelievable chassis and suspension, it even feels good from a standstill due to the torque added by the electric drive and the performance is great for such a big and heavy vehicle. But let's be honest with ourselves; when the ICE kicks in... yes, it's lacking soul adn excitement. The engine, though very capable and a very good fit for a family car (supercharged, so no noticeable lag; linear acceleration, relatively silent and delivering enough power to accelerate up a hill loaded with a family of four and far more luggage than is needed for 10 days away), is un-Porsche (and the 8-speed tiptronic doesn't help). Boy, it felt good to start my cold GTS on Friday :)

Won't comment on the Macan's 4-cylinder engine.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts