Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The base model with 2.0 turbo does not come with launch control.
What would be the best way to launch it from stand still?
My wife started autocrossing it and I feel that she loosing good 1/2 second on the starting line.
From standstill when you press the gas pedal initially the car is slow until the turbo kicks in.
I was wondering if anyone found a way to squeal those tires from the standstill.
Thanks.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Left foot hard on brake.

Right foot on gas for 3500 revs, and keep it constant.

On green light lift off left foot.

Once started to move floor the gas pedal.

You may also wish to consider retrofitting Sports Chrono, an OPC can do the software install.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yrralis

Are you seriously suggesting that the Op cuts a hole in the floor of their Macan to get extra traction?
;)

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
Yrralis

Are you seriously suggesting that the Op cuts a hole in the floor of their Macan to get extra traction?
;)
Nah . I wasn't answering the question. I think the Op ought to get his answers at a driving school with a formal instructor.

·
Registered
8,788 Posts
Who needs the launch function?
Had it on my M4 never used it. It is something for teenagers...... 0 to Whatever is just of NO interest.
I opted not paying $2000 for this gimmick.
Sport Chrono offers more than launch control . I agree that SC is not needed on a base car but in the performance trim cars the function fulfills the maximum PDK system capabilities . It offers the fastest and most efficient shift pattern . PDK is Porsche's most sophisticated component . Without sport chrono it's incomplete.

·
Registered
636 Posts
For squealing the tyres turn off the traction control, its this that is limiting tyre squeal.

No idea why you would want tyre squeal, but hey here is what to do.

Not a single press of the switch but a press and hold for three seconds.

A single press only turns down traction control.

Reactions: Leeski

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Left foot hard on brake.

Right foot on gas for 3500 revs, and keep it constant.

On green light lift off left foot.

Once started to move floor the gas pedal.

You may also wish to consider retrofitting Sports Chrono, an OPC can do the software install.

I tried that and it doesn't work!
At least not on the base model.
What's happening is once you brake with left foot and apply throttle with your right the RPM will come up to about 2K for 1 second and drop down to idle again.
Since it's brand new car I don't want to do anything (like retrofitting SC or new software) that would void the warranty.
I was hoping that someone tried something and it worked for them that I haven't thought of.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For squealing the tyres turn off the traction control, its this that is limiting tyre squeal.

No idea why you would want tyre squeal, but hey here is what to do.

Not a single press of the switch but a press and hold for three seconds.

A single press only turns down traction control.
I didn't mean to have the tires squealing (that's how you usually can tell when you have fast car) just get a good launch from the start.
Like I mentioned in my original post I'm using this car for occasional autocross and sometimes there's short straight before first turn and getting fast out of the gate would help. I think with better launch it could cut at least 1/2 second of the time.
Macan is slow for about first 30 feet until the RPM builds up and turbo kicks in.
This Sunday I will have first autocross with local PCA so I will see.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Retrofit SC, its the only way.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Retrofit SC, its the only way.
Tequipment Accessories Finder - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

SPORT PLUS mode subsequent installation
SPORT PLUS button in the control panel in the center console for even sportier tuning of the engine and chassis, including performance display in the PCM and the instrument cluster. With Launch Control racing start function and race track shift strategy. Compared to the Sport Chrono package available as an option from the factory, the engine speed of gasoline engines is lower when the Launch Control racing start function is used. Contact your Porsche Partner for further information. Please note: Does not include Sport Chrono stopwatch. Only in conjunction with Porsche Communication Management (PCM)

Part number: 95B 044 900 70

Only for vehicles up to and including 12/2015

Available for:
Macan Macan S Macan GTS
Price *
$906.96 excl. tax

Part number: 95B 044 900 73

Note for Macan: Only for vehicles from 01/2016.
Note for Cayenne: Only for vehicles from 06/2016.

They state the need for PCM. My 2.0L turbo has Apple Carplay (Connect) without Porsche Nav. Am I set for the SC upgrade minus the Physical "stopwatch"?

I am puzzled....

·
Registered
258 Posts
With a near 4,000 pound vehicle in autocross, you won't be winning many events.
For me, knowing I was .5 seconds behind from the start, the autocross would be more on improving my driving skills, resulting in quicker times with the vehicle I have. Whether it's a Smart Car, Macan or 911 Turbo.

You do need to turn off the traction control as mentioned above.

·
Registered
338 Posts
With a near 4,000 pound vehicle in autocross, you won't be winning many events.
For me, knowing I was .5 seconds behind from the start, the autocross would be more on improving my driving skills, resulting in quicker times with the vehicle I have. Whether it's a Smart Car, Macan or 911 Turbo.

You do need to turn off the traction control as mentioned above.
According to my good friend Rally World Champion Stig Blomqvist just a handfull extremely talented professionals can take a Car around a track faster with the traction system off. Slipning, skidding and smoking tires will not make great laptimes.

https://www.garaget.org/?car=187401&image=1751318
Stig in front of the car I built as a replica of his 78 RAC Rally car.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Tequipment Accessories Finder - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

SPORT PLUS mode subsequent installation
SPORT PLUS button in the control panel in the center console for even sportier tuning of the engine and chassis, including performance display in the PCM and the instrument cluster. With Launch Control racing start function and race track shift strategy. Compared to the Sport Chrono package available as an option from the factory, the engine speed of gasoline engines is lower when the Launch Control racing start function is used. Contact your Porsche Partner for further information. Please note: Does not include Sport Chrono stopwatch. Only in conjunction with Porsche Communication Management (PCM)

Part number: 95B 044 900 70

Only for vehicles up to and including 12/2015

Available for:
Macan Macan S Macan GTS
Price *
$906.96 excl. tax

Part number: 95B 044 900 73

Note for Macan: Only for vehicles from 01/2016.
Note for Cayenne: Only for vehicles from 06/2016.

They state the need for PCM. My 2.0L turbo has Apple Carplay (Connect) without Porsche Nav. Am I set for the SC upgrade minus the Physical "stopwatch"?

I am puzzled....
You do need PCM for SC

1 - 20 of 64 Posts