Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG-- Am I smoking the drapes as I just completed my potential MY20 Base Macan bulid with over 24k in options. Now granted $4200.00 is aligned with Burmaster sound system. I am in close negotiation with my local dealer that has offered 6% off the MSRP which is currently set @ $76270 for a Base Macan. For clarity many of the options are cosmetic and or personal preference ( Burmaster) since in my opinion any Macan is just not a finished product on how they have designed the standard exterior and interior.

So why this post, just looking for any opinion pro or con on loading up a Base Macan (4cyl)

·
Registered
457 Posts
I think 'Interior Trim in Anthracite Chestnut with Aluminum Inlay' will look better than Walnut trim.
Why do you want 'Compass Display on Dashboard incl. Porsche Off-Road Precision App? If you need compass you have it on Nav screen.
I would take black Sport Exhaust tips over Base tips - they will look better.
If you can afford it - add PASM+AS to match your ride with your sound and looks.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Kinda fun to option a Macan to an entry level Honda Accord. $23910 for the one in the attached picture. You Accord a Macan, and can probably M2C a Carrera S.

705aab1ebdd947f6a5cbac2d5b442ff4.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think 'Interior Trim in Anthracite Chestnut with Aluminum Inlay' will look better than Walnut trim.
Why do you want 'Compass Display on Dashboard incl. Porsche Off-Road Precision App? If you need compass you have it on Nav screen.
I would take black Sport Exhaust tips over Base tips - they will look better.
If you can afford it - add PASM+AS to match your ride with your sound and looks.
PASM + AS is the way to go but your already treading on “S” territory with your options. Porsche’s are meant and driven to go vroom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts
I ordered the "analog" compass to replace the analog clock because I think it looks much better, and I like the altitude display and digital clock embedded inside the analog compass in the infotainment screen (though you can set digital compass to display on your instrument panel, though your passenger cannot then see it also). You have to have the map screen on to see the digital compass, and many times you want something besides the map screen showing.

·
Super Moderator
1,172 Posts
Like the person noted above, with $20K in options (eliminating the Burmester -which is almost a requirement!) on a base
model Macan, why not consider an S model? Heck, you could also shop for a CPO Turbo!

Maybe you insist on the 4-cylinder engine?

:unsure:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I see no issue with the OP's build. So what if Burmester is more important to the OP than a larger engine? So long as there is an understanding what resale is likely to be like. Perhaps the OP just does not care. Nothing necessarily wrong with that.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I see no issue with the OP's build. So what if Burmester is more important to the OP than a larger engine? So long as there is an understanding what resale is likely to be like. Perhaps the OP just does not care. Nothing necessarily wrong with that.
I personally don't care about the resale value of my 2019 Macan at all, and I probably won't keep it more than 2-3 years. With my 2018 Panamera, that's a whole different story, because it's so much more expensive. It depends on how tight your car budgets are.

·
Registered
74 Posts
...your already treading on “S” territory with your options.
I don’t understand this line of thinking. Maybe the price is approaching S price, but an identically specced S will cost more. People use this arguement all the time on those who spec Ss to cost more than a base GTS. It’s silly logic. When I first started shopping I specced an S and a GTS identically, and surprise, the GTS was much more expensive. I wanted the options I wanted, and to get them in my price range, that meant S. So there is nothing wrong with even $30k in options on a base. It just means those options are more important to the buyer than engine.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I don’t understand this line of thinking. Maybe the price is approaching S price, but an identically specced S will cost more. People use this arguement all the time on those who spec Ss to cost more than a base GTS. It’s silly logic. When I first started shopping I specced an S and a GTS identically, and surprise, the GTS was much more expensive. I wanted the options I wanted, and to get them in my price range, that meant S. So there is nothing wrong with even $30k in options on a base. It just means those options are more important to the buyer than engine.
Completely agree. They aren’t different vehicles, and there’s very little that comes on each “trim” that you can’t option on others, with the main exception being the engine. Some want as much hp as they can get. Others prioritize handling. And others prefer luxury/ cosmetic options. Buy what you want.
(I do love the Burmester)

·
Registered
22 Posts
The jump from base to S is a chasm in power and future "tunability" when compared to S to GTS. Resale value also holds better for an S model when compared to base. Options are options and will always cost $$$ but an engine is not something you can swap out in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Any highly optioned car will experience steeper depreciation, as many of the options have near zero value on resale.

The Burmester I can understand. Folks spend a lot of time in their cars, and if audio is important to them, then so be it.

The Sport Design Package ($3600) is surprising to see on a Base model. Usually, folks who want that package find value in the GTS model where you basically get it for free. Plus, with the new facelift front bumper, the sport design package doesn't look dramatically different to my eyes. If the real objective is to eliminate the front lip, it's cheaper to option the stainless skid plates instead ($1410). Note that you can always remove the stainless skid plates and resell them....and then you'd be left with the standard black skid plates underneath. Or, if the objective is to eliminate some of the black plastic bits, one could al-la-carte just the painted lower rear fascia ($540) and/or the painted side skirts ($1000). Just food for thought.

The 20" wheels are another expensive option ($4200). But that's the catch with buying the Base.....most options are significantly more expensive than what you'd pay otherwise on the higher model trims. So at some point, it makes sense to just buy the next higher trim Macan S.

Finally, the Premium Plus Package is a big chunk of change. If you highly value everything in that package, then you're good. But you should scrutinize that list of options and see whether it makes sense to al-la-carte only the essential ones.

If all of the above options are must haves, then the best I can recommend is shopping for a 10% discount, which is not unheard of for a Base model.

Best of luck sorting it out. Those of us who have ordered a custom build have all been there.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Identical options are priced higher on a base car than on the higher trims . For example sport classic wheels in high gloss black will cost 5200 on a base Macan and those same wheels cost 2300 on a Turbo . The percentage of that option in proportion to the base price of both cars is staggered , In contrast if one bought a high quality wheel like HRE the same wheel will cost the same price no matter which Macan he places it on . This is merely one example . The original poster has 24 grand worth of examples . I find it appalling that this type of incongruity is met with such complacency .

·
Registered
894 Posts
Admittedly the OP’s build is a car that I would never personally order, but the bottom line is an S is always going to cost more than a base. If the OP prefers a base and has his or her eyes wide open with respect to resale, who are we to judge?

I would point out again the base has at least one advantage, with the smaller engine there is less weight over the front axle and everything being equal the car is noticeably more tossable.

Again, not the car that I would order, but I do respect not everyone has the same priorities.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Completely agree. They aren’t different vehicles, and there’s very little that comes on each “trim” that you can’t option on others, with the main exception being the engine. Some want as much hp as they can get. Others prioritize handling. And others prefer luxury/ cosmetic options. Buy what you want.
(I do love the Burmester)
Maybe he needs to buy a few Porsches like this to see how it can get real old to lose so much money. When a person spends 60 percent of a car's MSRP on a car then the only "priority" I see is immediate gratification . We are nit talking about some type of rare or exotic car . This is a little square SUV in a market with hundreds of them . Many have have even better sound systems and comfort amenities for less and included in the price .

So lets focus on Porsche's "priority" . In the past this company built its name on performance and racing. They still do make a performance SUV . However this luxury option pricing madness reflects one priority ... taking money ... and for that they are willing to stick a Porsche badge on it .

One day this guy will need a new car . At that time his 76K Macan will compete with a 55K Base Macan to a buyer who actually is shopping used (vs new) to SAVE MONEY. The longer he waits the more dated it all becomes and when the warranty wears off he adds even more money to this mess (in service and/or repair).

At that time my post will still be here .. and my guess is that many of those praising this ridiculous will have moved onto the next brand of vehicle . I have seen this play out for over 25 years of owning multiple Porsches .

I don't wish to change him , nor you . However .. I do feel this counter viewpoint ought to present itself to those who read in hopes of providing some balance in perspective .

·
Super Moderator
1,172 Posts
Is it not true that as one goes 'up the ladder' in Macan models, more features are bundled into
the build as so-called standard equipment? At least some of those standard equipment features
on higher end models are considered options on lower end models, correct?

For those who state that equipping a Base and an S with the same options ends up costing more for the S,
aren't you getting more features with the S than with the Base model? It is my understanding the same holds
true between the S and the GTS and the GTS and the Turbo.

Isn't the idea that although the higher end model costs more, it contains more features bundled into it - at
a lower price than adding them one-by-one to the next lower level model?

Anyone can buy whatever their heart desires, of course. The manufacturer has taken some of the guesswork
out of the equation by creating various models at differing features/options levels.

Heck, if nobody bought new cars, there'd be no CPO market for folks like me!

😉

·
Super Moderator
7,188 Posts
who are we to judge?
We were ASKED to judge. Quote:
looking for any opinion pro or con on loading up a Base Macan (4cyl)
In early 2014 MSRP for an S was $49,900. There is a poll here about the percentage of options. I can't find it with the "new look" but the results were shocking to me. I support the bespoke pricing model. I don't what what you want nor should you be forced to like the options I want. So I support the OP's decisions. At that time, I asked those in the know and S cars were being priced around $70K. Shocking. Given a normal curve, some had to be specced to $80 and some at $60K. But a S is now at $59,400. In five years, the S has gone up a shocking $10,500 in price or 21%. Has inflation been 21% in five years? Uhhh NO. Not even close. So we need to look at this like a $40K car in 2014. Just looking at the numbers, this spec is not out of line with history unless we consider the shocking increase PAG in prices, the Porsche Tax. Then, its worse than 2014 ordered 2015 S cars.

We all like different things. If you want to be shocked about build, go read the exclusive options thread on rennlist for 911 Turbos. You will see wild specs, actual specced cars, with extreme builds, leather everything to include the kitchen sink. We all judge things by our own means of rationalizing spending money. If money means nothing, then who cares about TCO? Few seem to pay attention to it anyway or know what it means. So all our comments are directed toward "what we would do". I guarantee you, that most people would not like my 911 builds. They'd scream to loud, to harsh, MT? 😳 no fancy radio, don't care about electronics 😱 Too bad. So if this is what he wants, his money, his choice. But since he did ask and getting beyond the fact PAG must love him 😊

$4200 for wheels., $3600 sport design. $680 side blades, Walnut $550 = $9030 worth of bling on a $51K car 😧 These items aren't functional, performance, or safety, just bling.

IMO, 47.2% in options on $50K car is way out of line. WHAT the options are, luxury vs performance, is a non-issue. Everyone is different. But 47%, "for me" would be untenable for this vehicle at this price point.

Now if it were a $350K Ferrari and money meant nothing cause I had 10 other cars in "my stable", that would be different but we all live, and judge, by our own money standards. If he's comfortable, so be it. Me? I'd start smoking something other than drapes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
We were ASKED to judge. Quote:

In early 2014 MSRP for an S was $49,900. There is a poll here about the percentage of options. I can't find it with the "new look" but the results were shocking to me. I support the bespoke pricing model. I don't what what you want nor should you be forced to like the options I want. So I support the OP's decisions. At that time, I asked those in the know and S cars were being priced around $70K. Shocking. Given a normal curve, some had to be specced to $80 and some at $60K. But a S is now at $59,400. In five years, the S has gone up a shocking $10,500 in price or 21%. Has inflation been 21% in five years? Uhhh NO. Not even close. So we need to look at this like a $40K car in 2014. Just looking at the numbers, this spec is not out of line with history unless we consider the shocking increase PAG in prices, the Porsche Tax. Then, its worse than 2014 ordered 2015 S cars.

We all like different things. If you want to be shocked about build, go read the exclusive options thread on rennlist for 911 Turbos. You will see wild specs, actual specced cars, with extreme builds, leather everything to include the kitchen sink. We all judge things by our own means of rationalizing spending money. If money means nothing, then who cares about TCO? Few seem to pay attention to it anyway or know what it means. So all our comments are directed toward "what we would do". I guarantee you, that most people would not like my 911 builds. They'd scream to loud, to harsh, MT? 😳 no fancy radio, don't care about electronics 😱 Too bad. So if this is what he wants, his money, his choice. But since he did ask and getting beyond the fact PAG must love him 😊

$4200 for wheels., $3600 sport design. $680 side blades, Walnut $550 = $9030 worth of bling on a $51K car 😧 These items aren't functional, performance, or safety, just bling.

IMO, 47.2% in options on $50K car is way out of line. WHAT the options are, luxury vs performance, is a non-issue. Everyone is different. But 47%, "for me" would be untenable for this vehicle at this price point.

Now if it were a $350K Ferrari and money meant nothing cause I had 10 other cars in "my stable", that would be different but we all live, and judge, by our own money standards. If he's comfortable, so be it. Me? I'd start smoking something other than drapes.
This is an excellent reply. In my case that I referenced earlier, adding the options I wanted to the GTS made it much more than the S because I was adding things that were not default on the GTS. The GTS has some cosmetic options standard that I had no interest in. It really comes down to each person's budget/finances and what options they value. For me, while I do not have unlimited funds, I do not consider resale value on my cars. As long as I always owe at least $1 less than what it is worth, I am happy. I am not willing to shell out $70,000 for something I almost want when $72,000 gets me everything I want, for example. If I didn't have that extra $2K, I'd wait until I did - and then I would get what I want. Better that than nagging regret for 5-10 years. Wait til you can afford it, then get wahat you want. That's how I feel abotu cars - though certainly not everything. I think we can all agree that all of this is about want, because none of us needs to spend more than probably $5-10K on a vehicle!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts