Porsche Macan Forum banner

Base Macan or Golf R or GTI as 2nd Vehicle

24K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  bolden 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All. This is my first post on the Macan Forum.

I have a 2014 Boxster S. I've previously owned a 2006 Cayman S, a 2012 Cayman R, and a 2009 Carrera C4. All my previous Porsches have been my daily driver and my only vehicle. Now that I have the Boxster, I'm considering purchasing another vehicle that will provide more space for my various activities (golf, guitars and amplifiers, etc.) and for winter driving (I'm located in the Northeast). The question is, what to buy?

The three vehicles I'm considering are a base Macan (can't afford to have an S or GTS equipped as I want and keep the Boxster), a Golf R, or maybe a GTI. If I get a Macan, I'll order it with performance options, but not much in the way of luxury options. The Golf R and the GTI (either an SE or Autobahn) both come fully equipped.

I really like the Macan. With the 4 cylinder engine (lighter than the 6 cylinder) and performance options, I expect it will handle well, get reasonable fuel mileage, and satisfy my desire for high quality. But its also likely to list out near $60,000. Maybe I can get a few % off list. The Golf R is likely to be a less expensive Carrera C4 type choice. In fact, it may be too much like it. Good handling, fast, relatively low to the ground. It lists at $42K+ with no discounts. The GTI will be fun and will be significantly less expensive (lower list price and discounts up to $5,000), but it isn't 4 wheel drive.

I've pretty much considered other vehicles (BMW, Alfa, Subaru, etc.) and narrowed down the options to the three I've mentioned.

For any of you that have experience with the 4 cylinder Macan, I'm interested in what you like and dislike about it. I'm especially interested in handling. I realize it isn't the most powerful vehicle. But do you miss the power in daily driving? What real world fuel mileage do you get? What might you do differently if you had to make the choice again.

Thanks.

See less See more
#32 ·
I have a 2016 Macan S and recently had a base Macan as a loaner from the dealership for a month as they were fixing the timing chain cover oil leak on my S. Yes, base Macan felt lighter on its feet but not by much. I've taken my S up and down Angeles Crest Highway but couldn't do that with the base because of the fires here in California. But even so, the lighter weight didn't seem to affect the experience whenever I found the chance to attack a corner or onramp (both cars had standard suspension and the 19" wheel/tire combo). Power and sound were the two things that affected my experience more. Power definitely better with the S. Off the line acceleration in normal mode with the S is just that much more satisfying as is powering out of corners. The sounds that the S makes are also all around more enjoyable... I just wish it were louder (sadly no PSE on my car). My advice is to try find a CPO S over getting a new base model.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.