Porsche Macan Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've had my base for one year and 9,200 miles. What I like; build quality, materials of construction, handling (especially with my newly installed 20's), ride quality, engine smoothness and even the quietness of it is impressive. The ride quality is pure Porsche. I cannot hear it or feel it running sitting at a stoplight. Mine has quite a few options and it listed just over $60K. You hear a lot of others ragging on the power, but in all honesty I have been very happy with mine. It is every bit as fast as most V6 small SUVs and faster than any 4 cylinder non turbo'd small SUV. The only time I've ever noticed the lack of power is flooring it at highway speeds, but I never need to do that so really it's a non issue. From a standing start and zipping around city traffic at normal speeds it is fine (if you keep it in sport mode). If you are interested mostly in handling, you won't be disappointed. When I bought, I test drove just about everything. Nothing came close to the Macan. Mine is now in for its first service and I have a 2014 Panamera as a loaner. My base Macan rides much better. I can't imagine using mine for a utility wagon hauling around musical equipment, but that's what they're for.

If I had to do it again? I would not buy a black one and if my budget was the same I would buy another base. Definitely. Would I rather have an S, GTS, Turbo? Of course, but my budget was maxed out with a highly optioned base. No regrets.

·
Registered
565 Posts
If you do mostly city driving, the Base should be fine. It was actually fine accelerating onto the freeway onramp and I come from a 2008 RDX which is a little slower than the Base. Good thing about the Base is that it has the EA888 motor which means an easy tune for more power if you're not afraid of losing your warranty. My guess is that the tunes are "mature" given how many of those tuned engines are out there. Second choice for me would be the R as I am older now. In 2007, I had an APR stage II 4-Dr GTI, lowered with 19" BBS CHs. At the time, I was 42 and felt kind of "old" in it. The R is more understated.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Go with the Macan. My nephew has a GTI, and it’s a blast, but you have the Boxster for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for all the replies, folks. I've been traveling with little time to access the internet, so it's been fun to catch up on the comments. Several different opinions. I'm not in a hurry to make a decision, so I think I'll just take some time to drive all the options and then make a decision.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Go with the Golf R, it's has totally different handling characteristics from the GTI. They're more sophisticated and refined overall yet performance oriented. They out handle any of their Audi counterparts. In fact, the recent generations of Golf R's were tuned with the help of one of the Porsche's handling maestro's (Google Youtube for Chris Harris' Golf R reviews). Moreover, you will get more in-car gadgets for free and total cost of ownership will be much much less. (Average cost of oil change at Porsche is about $250+.) You just won't have the badge but you'll enjoy it more nonetheless. For the same level of performance, you'd have to get a Macan Turbo.

Article for you:
http://www.autofocus.ca/news-events/features/the-sportiest-vw-is-better-than-the-cheapest-porsche

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All. This is my first post on the Macan Forum.

I have a 2014 Boxster S. I've previously owned a 2006 Cayman S, a 2012 Cayman R, and a 2009 Carrera C4. All my previous Porsches have been my daily driver and my only vehicle. Now that I have the Boxster, I'm considering purchasing another vehicle that will provide more space for my various activities (golf, guitars and amplifiers, etc.) and for winter driving (I'm located in the Northeast). The question is, what to buy?

The three vehicles I'm considering are a base Macan (can't afford to have an S or GTS equipped as I want and keep the Boxster), a Golf R, or maybe a GTI. If I get a Macan, I'll order it with performance options, but not much in the way of luxury options. The Golf R and the GTI (either an SE or Autobahn) both come fully equipped.

I really like the Macan. With the 4 cylinder engine (lighter than the 6 cylinder) and performance options, I expect it will handle well, get reasonable fuel mileage, and satisfy my desire for high quality. But its also likely to list out near $60,000. Maybe I can get a few % off list. The Golf R is likely to be a less expensive Carrera C4 type choice. In fact, it may be too much like it. Good handling, fast, relatively low to the ground. It lists at $42K+ with no discounts. The GTI will be fun and will be significantly less expensive (lower list price and discounts up to $5,000), but it isn't 4 wheel drive.

I've pretty much considered other vehicles (BMW, Alfa, Subaru, etc.) and narrowed down the options to the three I've mentioned.

For any of you that have experience with the 4 cylinder Macan, I'm interested in what you like and dislike about it. I'm especially interested in handling. I realize it isn't the most powerful vehicle. But do you miss the power in daily driving? What real world fuel mileage do you get? What might you do differently if you had to make the choice again.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I have just bought my wife a Golf R (2020) and I have a Macan turbo (2019). I have spent the past week using both cars on the roads of East Suffolk in the Uk.

Golf R
You feel far more connected to the road and the car delivers a more raw sound and tighter suspension, it feels quicker than the macan turbo but I don’t think it is! It’s just the driving position on the road. Sound system comes nowhere close to the Macan. Virtual dash is great, really clear when selecting the drive modes - left side for the gears and the right side for the speed. Really impressed. Feedback from the exhaust is far more connected and the drive modes really differ. You feel you are in 2 cars, the sedate round towner to the tight boy racer!

macan turbo
Yes, you are in a car at double the price, thats evident immediately, transition through the gears is smooth and effortless. considering the driving position you are really connected to the road. To get the same feel as the R you have to drive the card harder. It still feels connected, not as exhilarating as the R but you will be moving quicker and not realise the speed!

Both are great cars!

Verdict
Golf R - great drive for the price!
Macan - class act

·
Registered
523 Posts
Zombie thread

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2016 Macan S and recently had a base Macan as a loaner from the dealership for a month as they were fixing the timing chain cover oil leak on my S. Yes, base Macan felt lighter on its feet but not by much. I've taken my S up and down Angeles Crest Highway but couldn't do that with the base because of the fires here in California. But even so, the lighter weight didn't seem to affect the experience whenever I found the chance to attack a corner or onramp (both cars had standard suspension and the 19" wheel/tire combo). Power and sound were the two things that affected my experience more. Power definitely better with the S. Off the line acceleration in normal mode with the S is just that much more satisfying as is powering out of corners. The sounds that the S makes are also all around more enjoyable... I just wish it were louder (sadly no PSE on my car). My advice is to try find a CPO S over getting a new base model.

·
Registered
262 Posts
So does the GTI really share the same engine with the Base? I thought GTI had traverse engine and Base longitudinal.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts