Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All. This is my first post on the Macan Forum.

I have a 2014 Boxster S. I've previously owned a 2006 Cayman S, a 2012 Cayman R, and a 2009 Carrera C4. All my previous Porsches have been my daily driver and my only vehicle. Now that I have the Boxster, I'm considering purchasing another vehicle that will provide more space for my various activities (golf, guitars and amplifiers, etc.) and for winter driving (I'm located in the Northeast). The question is, what to buy?

The three vehicles I'm considering are a base Macan (can't afford to have an S or GTS equipped as I want and keep the Boxster), a Golf R, or maybe a GTI. If I get a Macan, I'll order it with performance options, but not much in the way of luxury options. The Golf R and the GTI (either an SE or Autobahn) both come fully equipped.

I really like the Macan. With the 4 cylinder engine (lighter than the 6 cylinder) and performance options, I expect it will handle well, get reasonable fuel mileage, and satisfy my desire for high quality. But its also likely to list out near $60,000. Maybe I can get a few % off list. The Golf R is likely to be a less expensive Carrera C4 type choice. In fact, it may be too much like it. Good handling, fast, relatively low to the ground. It lists at $42K+ with no discounts. The GTI will be fun and will be significantly less expensive (lower list price and discounts up to $5,000), but it isn't 4 wheel drive.

I've pretty much considered other vehicles (BMW, Alfa, Subaru, etc.) and narrowed down the options to the three I've mentioned.

For any of you that have experience with the 4 cylinder Macan, I'm interested in what you like and dislike about it. I'm especially interested in handling. I realize it isn't the most powerful vehicle. But do you miss the power in daily driving? What real world fuel mileage do you get? What might you do differently if you had to make the choice again.

Thanks.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I love my Base. I have PP+ package. 20k miles in first year. There’s a huge thread here on the Golf R vs. Base Macan. Crack open a beer and enjoy reading all the viewpoints. Some of it is comical.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I tried searching for the Golf R vs Base Macan comparison, and all I got were a bunch of posts about how well golf clubs fit in the Macan! Can you suggest a link?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Just remember that the AWD VW's are based on a front wheel drive platform and the Macan AWD is based on a rear wheel drive platform. There really is no comparison to me because all AWD VW's have torque steer. The Macan has none.

Reactions: mdubya

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
If you're looking for a lot car you will have a hard time finding a base with performance options. Plenty of pre owned Macans for your $60k budget. Pretty soon someone will chime in on how the GTS is the way to go.

Reactions: DasBoat

·
Registered
365 Posts
I had a Golf GTI before purchasing my 2017 Macan GTS (the last year it was made in Germany). If I remember correctly it was a 2013 Wolfsburg Edition. I can tell you the GTI is a wonderful car for the price. Its front wheel drive and you will experience a little torque steer if you push it hard . The AWD Golf R will set you back another $10k. The GTI also held its value nicely after 3 years. The GTI feels more nimble than the Macan but the Macan GTS is in a different league which comes with a much higher price tag.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies and the link to the review vs the Golf R. Still quite interested in additional comments about ownership of the base Macan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm new here, but I'm not sure why this topic was moved to Off Topic, Other Vehicle Discussion. My main interest in posting this thread was to hear from people about their experience with the base Macan. I guess my title is a bit misleading, although if anything, I would have thought it could go in the "Comparisons" section. I think it's going to get lost in here, and I'd really like more information on the base Macan experience.

·
Registered
42 Posts
well for me my base macan is enough for the streets in my country.. it is really an excellent daily drive car for home and office and back.. i came from a 2.4 coupe and the consumption of the base is higher than my previous car.. so i am really satisfied with it.. and its a porsche..

p.s. my wife and son can ride it without any hassle compared to my previous coupe..

·
Super Moderator
2,355 Posts
again - it's an apples and oranges comparison.

I suppose one could think of the Macan as a large size sporty hatchback, especially if it's been
lowered. How one would go about accomplishing that in a base model is a separate discussion.

Since budget seems to be a primary concern, your options would seem to be:

1. Go with the Golf R - perhaps a CPO one that's already had its 1 or 2 year major hit?

2. Go with a base Macan - again, look for a CPO model with the potions you require

3. Go with a CPO Macan GTS or Turbo - and again, capitalizing on the depreciation that's already
occurred.

As pointed out above, you're essentially comparing front wheel drive vehicles with rear wheel drive vehicles
and seeking equivalent results. You're also pitting CUVs against sporty hatchbacks. They're just not
identical animals. Add to this the differences between Porsches and VWs - purchase prices, ownership costs,
etc.

Good luck!

:|

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm new here, but I'm not sure why this topic was moved to Off Topic, Other Vehicle Discussion. My main interest in posting this thread was to hear from people about their experience with the base Macan. I guess my title is a bit misleading, although if anything, I would have thought it could go in the "Comparisons" section. I think it's going to get lost in here, and I'd really like more information on the base Macan experience.
I would not worry to much about where the thread is located. Many (most?) users including myself use Tapatalk to read and participate in this forum. This makes it easy to find new and trending discussions.

However, if you want to specifically discuss the merits and value of a base Macan with a sporty oriented spec, you might want to start another thread on that topic.

As for the R, it is hard to argue against the value that that car delivers along with speed and utility. A base Macan could be great but will never deliver the same raw performance. I think you need to make a list of what the R would not fulfill for you, and what the Macan will, to see if there is enough to justify the added expense. Also consider the value of the 6 year, 72k warranty with the VW.

Finally, I would recommend as others have, to search for CPO Macans. I bet you could even find a Macan S with some performance options that is 2-3 years old and sub $50k.

·
Registered
605 Posts
How about in the middle with Audi? SQ5/Q5 perhaps? Q5 is a bit roomier inside than the Macan. A lot cheaper too. You can get a minimally optioned SQ5 that already has a ton of standard features for around the same price as a mid-optioned Macan base but the SQ5 will hold resale value better. Unless of course fuel consumption is a high factor and you want to stick with 4-cylinders. In that case, there is the Q5 2.0T which is a a LOT cheaper than a Macan base. There's also the new VW Tiguan.

My car prior to the Macan was a GTI and it is great bang for the buck. I did have several issues but all were taken care of under warranty or extended warranty. It was a ton of fun to drive in daily commute. With an APR tune, it had the perfect amount of power. It had great backseat leg room but the hatch area is a bit tight even though best efforts were made to maximize. Golf clubs didn't fit back there without having to go through the rear seat center pass through. It did handle icy roads fairly well. I can tell you much more about the GTI if interested.

I personally don't think the Golf R fits the bill for a secondary car. At it's price point and what it does, it makes the most sense for someone with space for only one car and really wants a Swiss army knife of cars. I really wish we got the long roof Golf R wagon that is available in Europe. That would definitely be a better fit. The AWD system in the Golf R doesn't really have foul weather in mind, it's more for getting off the line quicker and handling around a track.

If I were in your shoes and wanted a secondary vehicle with capable all-weather ability and space, I'd go TRD 4-Runner.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I had a Golf GTI before purchasing my 2017 Macan GTS (the last year it was made in Germany). If I remember correctly it was a 2013 Wolfsburg Edition. I can tell you the GTI is a wonderful car for the price. Its front wheel drive and you will experience a little torque steer if you push it hard . The AWD Golf R will set you back another $10k. The GTI also held its value nicely after 3 years. The GTI feels more nimble than the Macan but the Macan GTS is in a different league which comes with a much higher price tag.
My GTI was a 2011 model. A pretty basic sunroof package car with DSG. I sold it at barely a 50% loss nearly 7 years later with 70K miles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Go drive all cars you are considering and go from there. That should answer many of your questions, especially for how the base Macan drives. If you find it lacking power, you could look at CPO S or GTS models.

On the positive side, all your options are good. Can't lose no matter which one you end up with. :cool:

Good luck!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I own a Macan S, but have had the base as a loaner. If most of your daily driving involves congested freeways and cities I think the base would be a nice fit and would choose this over a Golf. It's got plenty of power for city driving and is much more luxurious inside than a Golf. Plus you have a Boxster to take out on fun drives when you feel the need.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My daily driver is a 13 GTI 2dr w/DSG that I bought new. It is a fantastic car because it is fun to drive, practical and cheap. I just bought a 17 Macan GTS for a little over $60K. Before I bought it, I test drove a new Macan Base. I really liked it but the depreciation and lack of features that I wanted made the GTS the better option for me, so in the end it was the best bang for my buck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a base Macan, our prior two "family" vehicles were an A4 Avant S-Line (manual trans) and an A4 Allroad. We ended up a Macan because we REALLY liked it, and when the base model was introduced it was priced in the wheelhouse of the Audi wagons (price wise).

We really love the Macan- you can drive it pretty darn hard and enjoy some spirited driving. My biggest compliment is the transmission- its near flawless. Its not going to out handle the Golf R, it wont feel as fast in the seat, and you cant toss it around the way you can a GTI. Saying this, you also dont get the interior build quality with of those vehicles represent. As well- I would imagine that over the road- the Macan will be a more comfortable and more enjoyable vehicle, and since you already have a good car for sporting around, I would want something a little more comfortable, but still up to the challenge of anything you can (reasonably) throw at it, all the while doing it in WAY better styling and a much more well rounded package.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts