Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, after a few initial cosmetic mods to my 2016 Macan S I am contemplating performance mods. I'm interested to know what the consensus is on adding the retrofit of the Sport Plus button along with the computer modifications at the dealership vs. a piggy back tuning like the Cobb or Racechip?
My Macan S with no PSE or PASM. Running K&N filters with the covers excised as I've seen other do here in the forum is the only mechanical/performance change to the vehicle.
I'm fortunate to live in an area and have a commute that allows me to utilize the Sport mode regularly, so I'd like to see what more I can get out of it now and then.
Another question I have is regarding warranty as my CPO runs through 09/2021. I assume the Sport plus as its a factory/dealer mod would in no way compromise the warranty?
Are the piggy back tunes removable and/or undetectable at service intervals? And if detected could they void any engine or emissions system coverage in the warranty
The threads on these are somewhat dated , If you have either of these modifications do you use and enjoy it? Would you do it again or go another route?

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
As @MDJAK said above, Sports Plus completely changes the performance of the car. Best investment I made on my S and installed by dealer so no issues with warranty at that time.

Reactions: Weck2k

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
Is the Sport+ button similar to manual mode? It doesn't add more power.

Piggyback or Cobb tune add more power. However, they are detectable and will void warranty.

Reactions: notmac1

·
Premium Member
4,148 Posts
Chronos will make the car sound & feel more aggressive with the high rev's and harder shifts.....but objectively, it's only marginally faster and most of that comes from the use of launch control. So you really need a Cobb tune or something similar for a stronger engine.
Personally, I would put my first modification money into the suspension with some TechArt, Eibach, or H&R lowering springs. Far less risk and hassle on the warranty side of things too.

Reactions: notmac1 and Weck2k

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As @MDJAK said above, Sports Plus completely changes the performance of the car. Best investment I made on my S and installed by dealer so no issues with warranty at that time.

Did you purchase the button pack from Suncoast or through your local dealer? May I ask how long the install took and what the total install and programming cost was?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chronos will make the car sound & feel more aggressive with the high rev's and harder shifts.....but objectively, it's only marginally faster and most of that comes from the use of launch control. So you really need a Cobb tune or something similar for a stronger engine.
Personally, I would put my first modification money into the suspension with some TechArt, Eibach, or H&R lowering springs. Far less risk and hassle on the warranty side of things too.

The H&R lower the ride height about 1.5" front and rear correct? How did that affect your handling overall? Any reduction in body roll or noticeable under steer?

·
Premium Member
4,148 Posts
The H&R lower the ride height about 1.5" front and rear correct? How did that affect your handling overall? Any reduction in body roll or noticeable under steer?
I don't have personal experience with the H&R springs, as I have the air suspension and installed a lowering module to drop the car about the same amount.

There are a number of threads discussing the various lowering springs. I'll include a few here, but I suspect you may have already found one or more.

https://www.macanforum.com/forum/wh...-r-sport-springs-upgrade-detailed-review.html

https://www.macanforum.com/forum/modifications/171179-techart-springs-installed.html

https://www.macanforum.com/forum/modifications/35394-h-r-sport-springs.html

https://www.macanforum.com/forum/wheels-tires-suspension/154674-h-r-spring-rough-tide-fix.html

·
Registered
99 Posts
The best bang for the buck performance upgrade is driver training.

Then sport chrono.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
It was a long time ago so I don't have the exact numbers in mind but I got everything from my local dealer. Their price was a bit higher than Suncoast so they matched Suncoast's price. All included (parts + installation) was around $800 if I remember it correct. Best investment ever!!!!!! Seriously, if you drive a lot on highways it changes the car completely.

Did you purchase the button pack from Suncoast or through your local dealer? May I ask how long the install took and what the total install and programming cost was?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Suncoast Porsche Parts (Florida) and Sunset Porsche Parts (Oregon) are competitive on Sport Plus retrofit parts. The software is one part and usually sold separately is the complete button console because you can't just add a single button for the Sport Plus addition. Installation from a licensed dealer is brief enough to wait around for the work to be accomplished.
The Cobb tune is well regarded by many users. Easy to install at home. Uninstall before going in for service. Then install again in privacy and keeping it secret. Every day all time usable mod, best for the buck power bump.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Is the Sport+ button similar to manual mode? It doesn't add more power.
This is absolutely true. There is no benefit to SC over manual mode if (and only if) you, as the driver, are able to process as many variables and execute as many actions as quickly as the vehicle's computer, 100% of the time. Hint: you're not.

·
Supporting Vendor
959 Posts
From our perspective tuning the car yields the best bang for buck in transforming the performance. I will note our intake system is a cost-effective way to get a tad more power and a very simple install.

In terms of CPO, that's certainly up to you on the risk you want to take to preserve the powertrain side of it. We have tuned hundreds of Macans without any warranty issues. I always tell folks, it's their car, be comfortable with a decision.

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts
The best bang for the buck performance upgrade is driver training.

As noted above, the best thing you can do is get yourself some training. Attend one or more
PCA or BMW CCA (advanced) driver's schools. You'll quickly learn the greatest performance limiting
factor in your car is you, the driver.

The Macan (and most vehicles) is designed in such a way that almost all drivers come nowhere near approaching
the vehicle's limits. And, if they were to do so, it would be the limits of their driving abilities that would be reached
before the vehicle's limits.

(yes, really!)

Enjoy your driving schools! (they're a blast!!!)

;)

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
They use to have rallies just north of Houston at the Police Academy. I'm not sure they do this any longer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just add to my low budget comment........ All we have done to to our 2017 S is add a Sprint Booster and a Flat 6 Intakes and filters.

With the Sprint Booster you get the responsiveness you didn't know you were missing and the Flat 6 intakes add a nice (subtle) intake sound and add a little stronger pull in the upper RPM's.... makes the car feel a little more like a Porsche !

I'm still looking for an exhaust, but looking for something not too loud..... lots of choices !!

·
Registered
35 Posts
So what are the best performance upgrades for a 2018 GTS?
I have seen the info on the Pedal commander but seem like it could make the throttle response a bit twitchy.
Flash with COBB/Fabspeed ?
GTS already comes with the sport exhaust but is there something aftermarket better ?
Anything else??

1 - 20 of 30 Posts