Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 4.5 years and 45K miles, the transfer case in my 2015 Macan has gone bad. The dealer has agreed to replace it under Porsche Goodwill. Original quote was $3200. Don't have a final quote yet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad Transfer Case Followup

This is in no way a complaint and only describes the process for resolving my transfer case problem.

Tuesday
Called for a service appointment, opening available on Thursday

Thursday
Arrived at the dealer around 8:30am. Described problem and asked about the cost of repair if it is the transfer case. Quoted around $3200. Asked about Porsche Goodwill and was told it was possible. Cayenne in front of me was in for a transfer case replacement. Given a Panamera 4S loaner. Left dealer around 9:30am.

Friday
Got call from dealer around 3:30pm and transfer case was confirmed as going bad and would require replacement. Was told the dealer agreed to goodwill and work would cost $550+tax.

Saturday and Sunday
No communication

Monday
No communication

Tuesday
No communication

Wednesday
Dealer called at 9:30am that my car is ready for pickup. Turned in loaner and signed service paperwork. Porsche covered entire cost for replacing the transfer case. Zero cost to me. This was for a car 8 months past the warranty period. My car was left unwashed as directed which I appreciated.

Was very surprised by their good will covering the total cost of the work.

About the Panamera 4S, extremely quick but the new instrument panel and interface are not to my liking. Ride is rougher and noisier than my Macan.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi Catapult, Can you describe the symptoms that you observed that led to the conclusion that the transfer case was failing? Noise? Jerking when turning?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
It's a known problem with the early build Macans and Cayenne's.My S transfer case was replaced 2 months ago at 34k mileage with next month the end of my factory warranty.
Great that Porsche good willed the new transfer case. My dealer Service Adviser stated that it was over a 4200 repair.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Hi Catapult, Can you describe the symptoms that you observed that led to the conclusion that the transfer case was failing? Noise? Jerking when turning?
Many thanks.
My bad transfer case had slipping, vibrating jerking during acceleration. If yours is bad you can definitely feel it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are the symptoms a sudden onset, or have they come on gradually? Both? I am having the service department give it a look next week when I bring my CPO in for a few other problems.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back in August, the first indication of a problem was a slight shutter when backing up and turning left. At the time I suspected something with the engine and not the transfer case, maybe a slight stumble. It only happened when everything was at normal operating temperatures and was not noticeable when cold.

Last month it became noticeable when accelerating in the lower gears. Like something was slipping in the drive-line. Once again only when temperatures were normal. It got progressively worst after that to the point when accelerating produced a banging noise. Then I was sure it was the transfer case. The symptoms are well defined in the many threads about transfer case and its issues.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Back in August, the first indication of a problem was a slight shutter when backing up and turning left. At the time I suspected something with the engine and not the transfer case, maybe a slight stumble. It only happened when everything was at normal operating temperatures and was not noticeable when cold.

Last month it became noticeable when accelerating in the lower gears. Like something was slipping in the drive-line. Once again only when temperatures were normal. It got progressively worst after that to the point when accelerating produced a banging noise. Then I was sure it was the transfer case. The symptoms are well defined in the many threads about transfer case and its issues.

I have the exact same initial symptoms you mention with the reversing/slight stumble on my '18. Brought it to the dealer convinced my TC was going bad and dealer said it was still normal. Guess I have to wait and see if it gets more noticeable until I bring it back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts