Porsche Macan Forum banner

Backup camera not turning on after repairs

15K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  PMDriver 
#1 ·
So we had to bring my wife’s Macan in for some body work recently. Indy shop did a fantastic job, but when my wife went to pick the car up, she was in a rush to pick up the kids and noticed the backup camera didn’t turn on when she went into reverse. They had to fix the lift gate and rear bumper, among some other things. The techs came and looked at it, thinking maybe it was a menu setting, but no luck. When you go into R, the sensors turn on, and a picture of the car shows up, but no video. They told her if we couldn’t get it working to bring it back and they would look into it.

Before I do that, just wanted to check here in case I missed something. I don’t see in the manual that it’s a menu setting, so my assumption is a plug or wire simply didn’t get connected/connected properly when the bumper was re-installed. Any thoughts otherwise?

Thanks!

#4 ·
No dice. It actually did click in just a little, but not like a satisfying click or anything. Not like it’s loose though. Camera itself and housing don’t move. Guess it’s back to the shop!

#5 ·
So we had to bring my wife’s Macan in for some body work recently. Indy shop did a fantastic job, but...
Apparently not a fantastic job if they broke your camera!

They need to accept responsibility & either fix it or pay for Porsche to fix it, IMO.

They may claim they did not damage/break it, it is just a coincidence. I hope not.

Let us know. Especially about any recalibration.

#6 ·
They were actually good about it, and offered to fix it right then and there, but again, wife was in a hurry. They said no problem, and if it doesn’t start working, to bring it back and they will fix it, no questions asked. Hopefully no out-of-pocket expense for the re-calibration.

#7 ·
Hello!

My car is 2015 Macan S.

When reversing the car, the back-up camera intermittently stops showing the image. I have noticed it stops working more frequently, but not always, when it is relatively warm (85+) here in NCAL. This could just be a coincidence. While the camera image is not visible the parking sensor image is still visible and active. I took the car to the dealer and below are their findings:

'Video Signal PCM-short circuit to ground and short circuit to B+'
Fault occurrence counter : 26
Fuse OK.

To further investigate (not necessarily to fix) they need to take out the bumper and with that the camera calibration needs to be performed. They are saying this investigation /calibration is in range of $1200+. On top of that if the replacement parts are needed then their guess is that it could be in $3k range. Btw, they charged me $225 for the initial diagnostics.

Has anyone dealt with a similar camera image issue? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

#8 ·
Hello!

My car is 2015 Macan S.

When reversing the car, the back-up camera intermittently stops showing the image. I have noticed it stops working more frequently, but not always, when it is relatively warm (85+) here in NCAL. This could just be a coincidence. While the camera image is not visible the parking sensor image is still visible and active. I took the car to the dealer and below are their findings:

'Video Signal PCM-short circuit to ground and short circuit to B+'
Fault occurrence counter : 26
Fuse OK.

To further investigate (not necessarily to fix) they need to take out the bumper and with that the camera calibration needs to be performed. They are saying this investigation /calibration is in range of $1200+. On top of that if the replacement parts are needed then their guess is that it could be in $3k range. Btw, they charged me $225 for the initial diagnostics.

Has anyone dealt with a similar camera image issue? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
If this is considered 'safety' equipment or anything to deal with 'emissions' I think these repairs go beyond warranty periods. This is an idea to check out at least.

#9 · (Edited)
Well, in the course of fitting a towbar + electronics to my 2015 S I removed the bumper, without undoing the wiring or re calibrating the camera.

If your camera is still working intermittently, it would seem to indicate that the likely problem might not be something requiring replacement of parts but more probably a simple short, or possibly something like a loose plug. Maybe mud?

If the fuse is ok it probably rules out a short of the positive supply to the camera before it gets there. It could indicate a problem with the return wire from the camera.

I'm guessing that B+ is battery positive supply but without a wiring diag. it's impossible to know the wiring path.

For your dealer to anticipate a cost of between $1200 and $3k looks over the top.

Reactions: PMDriver
#11 ·
The camera is in the bumper, above the license plate. At least on my 2015 S, it is. I had a camera malfunction after a rear bumper respray. The guys at the panel shop (not Porsche dealer) took the bumper off (in about 3 minutes) and found that while the connector to the camera looked fine, one of the small cables going into the connector had slipped out/come loose (but was still inside the plastic connector). This whole process took 15 minutes.

Not saying this is your problem, but worth checking the easiest things first. Hope it helps.

#12 ·
And stay away from the dealer for this one. Rather DIY or find an indy or even a back-up camera fitment shop that is familiar with removing the bumper (which looked really very simple from where I was standing) and ask them to check the wiring. The most likely place for a malfunction/short is at the back where it is semi-exposed to the elements.

#13 ·
Thank you all for the responses. Very much appreciate it! I have schedule an appointment with an independent mechanic in a couple weeks. Will post my findings.

I also notice that the thread I had started got moved under another thread from earlier post. Not sure how it happened. If it was a user error on my part then my apologies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.