Porsche Macan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good day Porsche family (and other brands as well)! I just wanted to take some time to tell you how pleased I am with a recent modification to my 2016 Macan S. The awesome team at StealthHitches.com did an amazing job installing a concealed hitch on my Mac, and not only does it look great and is of fantastic quality, but this thing is SOLID. I’m including some images of the installation process as well as some after shots, but to really get a look at it now that the install is complete, you really have to get very low to the ground and look up to see it. It is truly hidden from normal view and does not affect the ground clearance or the aerodynamics of the vehicle. I don’t mind an exposed hitch on my Tahoe, but I really didn’t want to affect the clean lines of my Porsche by adding a hitch that would seldom be used for towing, but may see some fairly regular use for a hitch mounted bike rack. The Stealth Hitch product satisfies my needs without falling prey to the “form follows function” mantra.

To start off, it’s a single day installation for most local vehicles. I am not sure of the process for those in other locations, but they do ship to US and Canada. Get in touch with the team at StealthHitches.com to set up an appointment or get one shipped. They have these hitches already fabricated for many of the popular models, but I am sure they can engineer one for whatever vehicle you may have. Did you catch that? I said ENGINEER one for your vehicle. These are not the flimsy adjustable models you pick up at the local parts store and bolt in place (typically using bolt locations NOT designed for towing BTW). These are designed and tested to exceed the tow rating for your particular vehicle. Would they carry/tow more? With their solid/welded construction, you bet, but why in the world would you want to exceed the capability of your vehicle?

For my Macan, the hitch assembly replaces the bumper core just like it does for the OEM hitch. The installation photos show the original core, the rear end once the core is removed, and the new powder coated assembly in place prior to reinstalling the bumper fascia. The photos showing the cutout in the rear diffuser appear to be a bit larger than is necessary on the right side, but this additional space is required so that you can get your hand in there to disengage the cam that holds the accessories in place. You can also see the key on the left side for the locking mechanism to prevent any sticky fingers…

I would love to try and describe to you how the different attachments (one for towing and one for mounting racks) are locked into place using the simple spring loaded cam, but the StealthHitches.com website does a much better job of illustrating this feature better than I could. What I can tell you is that the connection is extremely secure and tight, leaving zero room for the annoying “hammer effect” I have experienced on every other vehicle/hitch combination I have ever owned. You know what I am talking about. It’s that violent jolt/jump you experience towing something when you first tap the throttle or the brakes, and is honestly a big safety factor to consider as it can and will fatigue over time. With the tight fabrication and installation tolerances in place, the Stealth Hitch makes it almost too easy to forget you are even towing something behind you.

The after photos are where the Stealth Hitch is worth the additional cost over other aftermarket products. As I said above, you have to get really low to the ground to know it is there at all and it is invisible from a standing position. Take note how low the camera is relative to the vehicle just to even get a decent shot of the installed accessories. Both the tow ball and the hitch mount are easily inserted without having to lay down or get under the vehicle, and you know it is in place when you feel and hear the cam lock into position.

In summary, a fantastic product, installed by a knowledgeable and professional team, and I highly recommend to anyone interested in having the capability of towing or using hitch mounts with their vehicle, but don’t want to see the hitch when not in use.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
That's really nice! That concealed look is much nicer & cleaner than the visible factory tow hitch that my Macan has. I'd be all over that if mine didn't come with a hitch & I wanted one.

Reactions: Byakko

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's really nice! That concealed look is much nicer & cleaner than the visible factory tow hitch that my Macan has. I'd be all over that if mine didn't come with a hitch & I wanted one.
Check with Steve and his team, but if the OEM really bothers you, I bet they can swap them out. They might still have to make some cuts to your rear diffuser like they did mine, but it's not a huge deal and their skilled installers do a good job making clean cuts.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks good, is the trailer weight limit the same as with the stock hitch or do they lower the weight limit with that rig?
I'll have to let Steve chime in on this one to clarify/confirm, but my understanding is that the assembly is tested at loads above the vehicle's ratings, so the Mac's capability is the limiting factor.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice setup, looks clean. What is the cost, fully installed?
Depends on your selections. The packages come as rack only, tow only, or a combination of rack/tow. Also factor in if you want a wiring harness. If you are only going to use the rack mount, there's no need for the harness (depending on your local laws of course...). You can use their website to get a quote for exactly what you want, and their customer service is outstanding if you need to contact them directly.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Slick. What Class hitch is this?
Looks good, is the trailer weight limit the same as with the stock hitch or do they lower the weight limit with that rig?
I'll have to let Steve chime in on this one to clarify/confirm, but my understanding is that the assembly is tested at loads above the vehicle's ratings, so the Mac's capability is the limiting factor.
I'll defer to Steve on any Class ratings, but I'm assuming with a Macan we would want to max out at about a Class II type of pull, regardless of what the rig can handle. I wouldn't want to burn up a transmission or cause any structural damage by exceeding the limits of the vehicle. My intent is to mostly use this as a mount for a bike rack and maybe pull something small like a lightly loaded utility trailer. Anything bigger and I'm at least using my Tahoe.

·
Vendor
36 Posts
Hello All,

I will try to clarify towing and tongue weight ratings for each specific vehicle and why we don't list our hitch rating or class ratings. In 100% of the cases, Stealth Hitches designs our hitches to exceed the vehicle manufacurer's suggested towing capacities. On some vehicles, our hitch exceeds the maximum class 3 ratings while other vehicles are designed with less structure for minimal added weight, all exceeding vehicle capacities.

Our hitch system is designed with zero play to avoid the hammering effect at start and stops. This zero play system allows us to comply with European ratings of the vehicle which is usually higher than the US rating. US testing utilizes static load tests for deflection while European tests utilize a more stringent dynamic load test representing trailer starts and stops. We comply with both.

We try to make sure that our listed tow and tongue weight limits match the vehicle limits. We believe that giving you the higher hitch limits would be confusing and misleading because it exceeds the vehicle capacities and should not be used as guidlines. We ask our customers to confirm these limits with the vehicle operating guide as an added safety measure.

Please feel free to call or email me with any questions.

Best,

Steve
1-833 MYHITCH (694-4824)
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Check with Steve and his team, but if the OEM really bothers you, I bet they can swap them out. They might still have to make some cuts to your rear diffuser like they did mine, but it's not a huge deal and their skilled installers do a good job making clean cuts.
I'd rather not spend the extra since I already have the hitch. I added a Bump Step to my Macan to keep the idiots from totally bashing my rear end. It didn't help when an F-150 scraped the corner of my bumper, but I like it for when I'm supervising the Hubster as he details my Macan. I can step up on it & make sure that he's properly washed the top of the car. >:D

Totally unrelated Q - how do you do the multi-quote thing? I hit multi-quote, but then what do I do to actually bring multiple quotes into my reply box? This is obviously way too complicated for me.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Totally unrelated Q - how do you do the multi-quote thing? I hit multi-quote, but then what do I do to actually bring multiple quotes into my reply box? This is obviously way too complicated for me.
If you have three people you want to multi-quote, hit the "multi-quote" button on the first post you want to quote, hit the "multi-quote" button on the second post, then finally hit the "quote" button on the third and last post. You'll then see all three quotes in the reply box. You can then position your reply to the appropriate post.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Sounds and looks good. Not sure I'd want to cut the diffusor like that but probably not a big deal.

BTW, I did read most of your first post but didn't see anywhere where you disavow any connection to the vendor. You may have said so and I just missed it and if so I apologize. And there's no rule you do mention it, but it's nice to know when someone vouches for a product, especially as you have, that you paid full price and have zero connection to the vendor.

As for the hammer effect, I've towed with many vehicles and have never heard that effect. Maybe I'm just deaf.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
As for the hammer effect, I've towed with many vehicles and have never heard that effect. Maybe I'm just deaf.
Oh I've had it on all of my towing vehicles. Comes from the slop in the pin, and slop between the receiver and hitch. But I too admit that I don't notice it once the load is on. You'll notice it with light loads as the hitch wobbles in the receiver. heavier loads won't experience it much.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
If you have three people you want to multi-quote, hit the "multi-quote" button on the first post you want to quote, hit the "multi-quote" button on the second post, then finally hit the "quote" button on the third and last post. You'll then see all three quotes in the reply box. You can then position your reply to the appropriate post.
Thank you! I would have probably never figured that out!

Reactions: Byakko

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
But be sure to quote me and my pearls of wisdom as often as possible. Not only will it sully your reputation, but you'll get practice doing it. :laugh:
I actually did as I was testing the process, but then decided that there was nothing I could ever say to improve on your pearls of wisdom & deleted the post. Your pearls are in an ocean by themselves. :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts