Porsche Macan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
Had an awesome Porsche experience yesterday at the Joliet Autobahn arranged by the dealership where I bought the beauty. Below are some pics. However, at the end of the day I noticed my front tires were all torn up. I put the Macan sideways hard in the autocross alot, she planted and screamed around the curves. I don't think the tires were hitting the wheel well, but it's possible. the front right corner are the 1st 2 tire pics and the longer curves were putting the weight there. Is the air suspension possibly at fault, maybe a trip to dealer is needed? Or can the road cause this? I am not completely upset, since I needed new tires soon anyway - but now am concerned about my suspension.

Video of autocross
https://youtu.be/6_FqgeDr2Qo

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would guess your suspension is fine. That simply looks like a result of using a heavy vehicle like the Macan in a track situation with extended high heat and lateral forces. As someone else mentioned the all season tires are not designed for that with more sipes and smaller blocks that can chunk off in this situation.

My advice would be to replace those tires with the Michelin Latitude Sport 3 and run them in the summer, then pick up a winter tire/wheel set for cold/snowy months if you don't already have a set.

And if you're serious about doing more track days, consider a 911 or Cayman/Boxster.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is nothing wrong with your suspension. That is typical for an old all-season tire run hard on a track on a large vehicle. The tire that is worse was probably on the 'outside' of the general direction you went 'round the course. Cost of doing business.
yes sir, with lots of under-steering trying to regain control. Glad to hear it is not my suspension and just the loose nut between the steering wheel and driver seat

·
Registered
70 Posts
So you did autocross, or road course?

The all-season tires with lots of little tread blocks will get torn up as you are seeing, especially on a typical parking lot type surface. I think your suspension is fine.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I'm sure it was a blast and I've considered doing it and may yet. I watched it at Lyme Rock. It did seem boring after a while, and certainly a lot of wear and tear. Tires and brakes are expensive.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I had heard that tracking your car causes tires to wear faster but, this is actual DAMAGE not wear!

What did the experts tell you when you were there & what does Porsche say when you took it in to have suspension checked? I assume still under factory warranty.

For those who have Summer Tires & track your car, do you have damage like this or just faster tread wear?

·
Registered
397 Posts
What is the manufacturing date on those tires?
I think I see some age cracking in the deep tread.
Often, old aged cracked tires will chunk out like that.
What psi did you pump your tires up to? What was the max hot air pressure you were running at the autocross.
Great video. Looks tight. Big heavy truck? Brake and then turn in. Screaming tire and rolling the outside front? Too much speed, from my experience.
Looks like a blast. Wipe down those sweaty seats.
Your better for the experience.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Due to tyres not suited to that sort of work (compound and pattern) and way too much understeer - you need to have altered the tyre pressures to get a better balance in the car.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Congratulations; there’s nothing like a track day.

You should have put summer tires on your car; they just wear faster but don’t degrade like all-seasons; those tires don’t not have any more useful life in them. On top you should be monitoring and adjusting tire pressure during the session.

Congratulations again.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Congratulations; there’s nothing like a track day.

You should have put summer tires on your car; they just wear faster but don’t degrade like all-seasons; those tires don’t not have any more useful life in them. On top you should be monitoring and adjusting tire pressure during the session.

Congratulations again.
What are the proper psi for summer and winter (front/back)?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
20 Participants
Louie Zoi
Porsche Macan Forum
Thank you for your interest in MacanForum.com. We’re a forum community dedicated to Porsche Macan SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, specs, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing